Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin on gunsmoke, doesn't look american.

I was watching an episode of gunsmoke, where there was a closeup of a coin (a quarter). Thing is, does not look american to me. I have never seen the reverse. The wild west would of primarily of been seated coinage.

www.coinswithhistory.com

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mexican?

Maybe.

peacockcoins

• After looking at it more. Maybe it's a seated quarter after all with motto?

www.coinswithhistory.com
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Sheesh!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

There was an episode of The Rifleman where Lucas McCain, frozen, couldn't get out of a sleeping bag because there was a rattle snake that had crawled into it while he was sleeping.

I think the local town sheriff ended blowing cigar smoke down a reed into the bag so the rattler would leave on its own volition.
    For the life of me, I can't recall the sheriff's name.

peacockcoins

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was an episode of The Rifleman where Lucas McCain, frozen, couldn't get out of a sleeping bag because there was a rattle snake that had crawled into it while he was sleeping.

I think the local town sheriff ended blowing cigar smoke down a reed into the bag so the rattler would leave on its own volition.
    For the life of me, I can't recall the sheriff's name. >>

Its Mica I think

I saw an episode of the rifleman the other day and the scene was set with rolling hills in the background
    and you can see a car or tuck speeding through the shot in the distance

Steve

That coin looks close enough though
    Promote the Hobby
  • I just combed my hair and saw an old penny on the ground, thought it was a 1909 s-vdb but it was only a slug. image
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sheesh!
    image >>

+1

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    We watch Gunsmoke or Matt Dillon or both every night. I never thought about zeroing in on the coins thrown onto the bar to pay for drinks. Don't even know how to do such a thing. Always wonder exactly what they are using to pay for their drinks. Seems like some of you more computer literate fellows like the old Western movies, just as we much older folks. That does make me feel good.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

• << <i> I never thought about zeroing in on the coins thrown onto the bar to pay for drinks. >>

I didn't. The camera did. It was a really up close shot of the coin.

Now, technically speaking, the motto was not added until 1866. Now, the show took place in the 1870s and 1880s.

Now if you truly had this quarter in say 1884, I would not think it would be worn down as much.

A better question, did they use real coins when filming old tv shows, or replicas?
    www.coinswithhistory.com
  • I think it's time to get out of Dodge.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Years ago there was a fascinating comic strip, Latigo, that showed private issue $20 gold pieces as part of the story.
    The strip ended when the arch villain killed the hero marshall who was investigating the murder of the local Chinese laundryman's brother. The Chinese laundryman, a former blaster for the railroad, then blew up the arch villain's private rail road car with the villain in it.
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After looking at it more. Maybe it's a seated quarter after all with motto?

image >>

Looks good to me!
  • I saw a tv show with a coin in it once, too! I think it was on HSN.

merse

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "Its Mica I think

Yes, his name on the show was Micah Torrance, and he was played by Pail Fix. How's that for trivia? Like Mozin, I have been known to watch the show occasionally.

The coin looks like a Liberty Seated quarter to me, although Hollywood has been known to use 'replica' coins in many TV shows and movies.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember seeing an episode of GUNSMOKE where Marshall Dillon was duly impressed when Festus threw down a Double Eagle at the Longbranch.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Marshall Dillon, there's been another killin'"
    Chester Goode
    September 1960

Wikipedia: "Arness wanted to be a naval fighter pilot, but he felt his poor eyesight would bar him. His height of 6 feet 7 inches (2.01 m) ended his hopes, since 6 feet 2 inches (1.88 m) was the limit for aviators. Instead, he was called for the Army and reported to Fort Snelling, Minnesota in March 1943.[6] Arness served as a rifleman with the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division, and was severely wounded during Operation Shingle, at Anzio, Italy."
  • James Arness also played The Thing in the movie, "The Thing" ... a movie that still creeps me out — but one that doesn't have any coins that I can remember. It does, however, have a flying saucer ... and a Thing.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was watching an episode of gunsmoke, where there was a closeup of a coin (a quarter). Thing is, does not look american to me. I have never seen the reverse. The wild west would of primarily of been seated coinage.

image >>

You can't be serious.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a Red Book and at least look at the pictures.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• From the picture, I think it will slab. How much should I offer for it?

merse

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was watching an episode of gunsmoke, where there was a closeup of a coin (a quarter). Thing is, does not look american to me. I have never seen the reverse. The wild west would of primarily of been seated coinage.

image >>

You can't be serious. >>

<< <i>Sheesh!

image >>

<< <i>

<< <i>Sheesh!
    image >>

+1
    . >>

Can't agree more with all of these, especially astrorat.
    I'll come up with something.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone seriously needs to take a break from their computer.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Marshall Dillon, there's been another killin'"
    Chester Goode
    September 1960

>>

On the radio show, which preceded the television show and then ran concurrently with it for a few years, Chester's last name was Proudfoot.

<< <i>Someone seriously needs to take a break from their computer. >>

But only after seeking local professional help via Google.

peacockcoins

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I suggest you turn your antenna just a smidge.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>I suggest you turn your antenna just a smidge. >>

Any more to the right and he'll 'friend' Glenn Beck on Facebook.

peacockcoins

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    i can play this game.

is that a snake over the eagle? must be mexican.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i can play this game.

is that a snake over the eagle? must be mexican. >>

I think Mexican coins were all over the old west. But anyway, doesn't the snake go below the eagle?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

• << <i>

<< <i>"Marshall Dillon, there's been another killin'"
    Chester Goode
    September 1960

>>

On the radio show, which preceded the television show and then ran concurrently with it for a few years, Chester's last name was Proudfoot. >>

Gotta say, meaning no disrespect, Miss Kitty was hot!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe put a little tinfoil on it........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>After looking at it more. Maybe it's a seated quarter after all with motto?

image >>

Looks good to me! >>

ill second that. that what it looks like to me as well.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I even remember the actor's name (Micah); It's Paul Fix. He was an older man and his career
    was already winding down by 1960 I believe. He did small parts on numerous television shows.
    I remember only because he had a starring role on Tilight Zone's "I am the Night, Color me Black".
    He played a small town newspaper publisher who helped put a man on the gallows for murder in
    self defense.
    Tempus fugit.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I even remember the actor's name (Micah); It's Paul Fix. He was an older man and his career
    was already winding down by 1960 I believe. He did small parts on numerous television shows.
    I remember only because he had a starring role on Tilight Zone's "I am the Night, Color me Black".
    He played a small town newspaper publisher who helped put a man on the gallows for murder in
    self defense. >>

Paul Fix also has a connection in the Star Trek universe. He played Doctor Piper in the pilot episode; when the series was picked up, the Piper character was replaced with De Forest Kelley as Dr. Mc Coy, and well, you know the rest.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Maybe put a little tinfoil on it........ >>

Used it all on his helmet.
    I'll come up with something.
  • What about coins on Bonanza? Anyone?

merse

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy a Red Book and at least look at the pictures. >>

Agreed.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Are you sure it isn't a Quatloo?

By the way, Miss Kitty was hot, but the woman in the photo above is Susan Cummings ... who is hotter.

Cummings may be best known for her role as Patty in the Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man."

• << <i>Are you sure it isn't a Quatloo?

By the way, Miss Kitty was hot, but the woman in the photo above is Susan Cummings ... who is hotter.

Cummings may be best known for her role as Patty in the Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man." >>

Very cool info, thanks Justlooking!
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    Where's the OP been lately? Bammed?
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of his threads got KO'ed by the host and he got let back in the door over on the other forum that he was yelping about here last week. Now he is over there yelping about how lousy CU looks.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks God that's over with!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I even remember the actor's name (Micah); It's Paul Fix. He was an older man and his career
    self defense. >>

Paul Fix was also the judge in the Tom Robinson case in the movie version of "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file