Best baseball players who are not famous

Lefty Grove. image
Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luke Appling
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe Shlabotnik
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all of baseball, only around 200 people with over 1000 games under their ML belt have hit 300.

One of my favorite Dodger players is Pedro Guerrero.

He played 15 ML seasons - a quality utility player - 215 HR's - not shabby - so a power hitter IMO.

He played in 5 All-star games, was the 1981 WS MVP, 1982 Silver Slugger...

Mike
  • Options
    If Lefty Grove isn't famous, why was he so readily accepted into a museum with the word Fame in the name

Johnny Mize is easily the best player who the Baseball Writers decided wasn't Famous enough for it

Best players who are least well known are all Negro League players

Among Major League players:
    C Bill Freehan
    1B Phil Cavarretta
    2B Dick McAuliffe
    SS Cecil Travis
    3B Bob Elliott
    LF Bob Johnson
    CF Amos Otis
    RF Johnny Callison
    P Dave Stieb
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If Lefty Grove isn't famous, why was he so readily accepted into a museum with the word Fame in the name >>

Yes, he is a HOFer, but he never, ever shows up on any of the "best of all time" discussions.

Leading the league in strikeouts 7 years in a row, and winning the ERA title 9 times, all during a hitters' era. I'll go as far as saying there has never been a pitcher so dominant in a 15 year stretch as Grove. Sure, he made the '76 Topps All-Time Team, but his greatness is rarely brought up nowadays.

Also, I like the Amos Otis mention.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Hank Greenberg

1932 Texas League Player of the Year
    1935 Most Valuable Player Award
    1935 Sporting News Most Valuable Player Award
    1940 Most Valuable Player Award
    1940 Sporting News Most Valuable Player Award
    1956 National Baseball Hall of Fame
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    It's rare to see Jackie Robinson mentioned as a choice for being among the very best second basemen in history, yet a reasonable argument could be made. Doesn't mean he isn't famous (it's actually the rare case of fame overshadowing his ability). (Grove is the fourth best pitcher in history)
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Enos Country Slaughter
    Vern Sterphens
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Bill Dahlen

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    what a thread.....only 5 HOFers listed already? 2 of which are considered by many to be among the top couple dozen greatest to ever play (Grove and Greenberg)

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Fame, to me, means you have transcended your profession. I know very few non-baseball folks who are familiar with Greenberg. Conversely, there are millions worldwide who know Yogi, Ruth and even Barry Bonds, yet they have never seen a single game. That to me is the difference between "great players" and "famous players"
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    fiveniner mentions a GREAT one. Vern Stephens! I defy anyone who doesn't collect 48 Leaf to tell me much about him.

Vern led his league in RBI 3 times at shortstop! His .815 career OPS was great out of a defensive position the 40's and 50's. He finished Top 5 MVP 3 times on some terrible Red Sox and Browns teams. Yes, he had some RBI totals because he hit behind Ted Williams. But he should get some credit for coming through when Williams was always on. Also, his 1949 season .290/.391/.539 w/ 39 HR and 159 RBI at shortstop is absolutely crazy.
  • Options
    George Wright

While touring with the Cincinnati Red Stockings, he hit .633 with 49 homers in 57 games.
  • Options
    fairly recent players, off the top of my head: Larry Walker, Vlad Guerrero, Garrett Anderson
  • Options
    Tough to define famous

Kenny Lofton
    Juan Gonzalez (unless PED users are excluded)
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Most Negro League HOFers, such as Bullet Rogan, Smoky Joe Williams, Turkey Stearnes, Devil Wells (and they also had the best nicknames!)