Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you like my Bust dollar?

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because of the following:

eBay may end any coin or currency-related listing if we believe that the sale of the item might create liability for the buyer, the seller, or pose a risk to the Community. Sometimes problematic auctions are identified by a group of members that comprise a Community Watch Group for currency listings.

As far as the exact problem with the item(s), the following was received from the Coin Community Watch group:

"a modern forgery."

With regard to the assessment of the listing, as eBay employs no experts in the field of currency we are unable to arbitrate disputes. You will need to have the item(s) authenticated by an approved grading company before the item(s) can be relisted.

We appreciate your cooperation and understanding and thank you for your business on our site.

Replica coins are no longer allowed on the site.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    It is very much authentic!
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    Real but cleaned.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bb161 b11 looks like to me

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was in the market for one of these, I'd never buy it outside of a slab, be it genuine or graded. I can't blame eBay for getting tough on these. This is part of the price we have to pay to combat counterfeiters.
  • Options
    It's funny how the bidding stopped at $655 when some bidder with 0 feedback
    placed a bid. That got me thinking in a couple of directions. Does a 0 feedback bidder indicate a shill?
    I was considering ending the auction anyway and to let ebay know. But for the time being, I'll hang
    onto it a little longer. The coin has more detail than a recent PCGS VF example that recently sold
    there.

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Real but cleaned.

-Paul >>

Agreed, old cleaning with the new toning developing over.
  • Options

<< <i>.
    bb161 b11 looks like to me
    . >>

Thanks Lance

Does that include the No Berry variety?

Leo

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Real but cleaned.

-Paul >>

Agreed, old cleaning with the new toning developing over. >>

That's from sitting in a Dansco album for 16 years and I had to scrape out
    an opening to make it fit.

• Options

<< <i>If I was in the market for one of these, I'd never buy it outside of a slab, be it genuine or graded. I can't blame eBay for getting tough on these. This is part of the price we have to pay to combat counterfeiters. >>

But guaranteeing the authenticity with full refund plus shipping and I have 100% feedback, makes me think, perhaps
    a rebellious seller who had his coin removed has sought revenge by attacking all raw coins of others.

• Options
    As far as the exact problem with the item(s), the following was received from the Coin Community Watch group

I can't find where this watch group may have had a discussion on my coin because I would really like to see what
    they had to say and what they saw in the coin to say it's a modern forgery.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    larger images will help to prevent removal of authentic items

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    There is a lot of competition on eBay. Maybe another dealer and his "friends" got together to pull the listing. It's not uncommon. I've heard of sellers reporting items of other sellers, so they can sell something, while there item gets pulled.

Sorry it happened to you.

On the other hand, you have to understand that our "friend" China is cranking bust dollars out quicker than you can count. Many fakes of this coin exist.

Having this piece authenticated and graded should of been done 1st thing, IMO. Many people are too scared to buy this old of coin in the raw.
    www.coinswithhistory.com
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As far as the exact problem with the item(s), the following was received from the Coin Community Watch group

I can't find where this watch group may have had a discussion on my coin because I would really like to see what
    they had to say and what they saw in the coin to say it's a modern forgery. >>

There needn't be any discussion among CCW members. A single report from any one of them is enough. Unfortunately, someone made a bad call.
    Lance.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1799 is a well known year for counterfeit silver dollars(and very deceiving counterfeits at that). Bust dollars are not my area of expertise so I cannot tell you if it is real or not but it looks ok from here. All 1799 bust dollars should be authenticated even if they only get a genuine slab. Ebay has their own watch group of so-called experts that do stuff like this all the time. I think their expertise may be in a different field such as knitting, or fly-tying, or playing hockey, it certainly is not in coins.
    Bob
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Real but cleaned.

-Paul >>

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    There are alternatives

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    So I sent them an email and now they want to discuss this issue over the phone. And my pin # expired almost 2 hrs ago.
    I guess if I argue with them I'll get banned and I'm really looking forward to someone whose only answer to all my grips
    will be, "we understand your problem, sorry"

Hello

Thank you for contacting eBay Customer Service. To serve you in the best possible way, we would like to speak to you on the phone. Here's how to get help:
    1. Click the "Customer Support" link at the top right of most eBay pages.
    2. Click the "Contact eBay" tab and sign in.
    3. Select the topic that fits your question or concern. If your issue is not resolved with the information provided, please click the "Call us" link. You'll see a phone number and a PIN to use. The PIN expires within 15 minutes, so if you're not able to call us within that timeframe, please click the "Call us" link again for a new PIN.
    Thanks,
    eBay
    Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

• Options
    As well all said, send the coin in. Arguing with eBay will net you nothing. I do not advise selling this piece raw. It will most likely get a details holder from rim damage, but it will net you much more money.
    www.coinswithhistory.com
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Definitely real. Don't know what the people complaining were thinking...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file