Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question re: 1971 Topps BB Rack Packs

I searched online and cannot find the answer. Does anyone know if Topps produced 1971 BB racks containing both Series 1 and 2 in the same rack? I am looking at some of the '71 racks on Ebay. Thanks!
Nikklos

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look closely on the back of the header cards there appears to be pencil writing that was erased. Red flag for sure.

Edit to add:if To answer your question though yes Topps produced mixed series racks in 1971.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Chris,

Combined series racks ARE possible. However, proceed with care.

Dave
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Yikes! Thanks guys. I guess if there is any sort of red flag with this type of material, it is best to steer clear.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you look closely on the back of the header cards there appears to be pencil writing that was erased. Red flag for sure.

Edit to add:if To answer your question though yes Topps produced mixed series racks in 1971. >>

Just for the sake of completeness, the header card issue also exists on the '71 football racks that are currently up.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you look closely on the back of the header cards there appears to be pencil writing that was erased. Red flag for sure.

Edit to add:if To answer your question though yes Topps produced mixed series racks in 1971. >>

Just for the sake of completeness, the header card issue also exists on the '71 football racks that are currently up. >>

Good point...what both these auctiosn have in common, too, is that you suddenly see a large number of racks for sale
    from years where finding just one for sale at any given time is rare..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just for the sake of completeness, the header card issue also exists on the '71 football racks that are currently up. >>

Good point...what both these auctiosn have in common, too, is that you suddenly see a large number of racks for sale
    from years where finding just one for sale at any given time is rare.. >>

The other thing I found odd is that both sets of auctions have "Auction #1, Auction #2", etc. in the descriptions, even though the sellers are different.
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Looks like the baseball racks have been taken down but Probstein still has his FB racks up for auction. Who could possibly think that they could get away with those eraser marks on the header card located under the plastic

-Doug
  • Options
    I still see the baseball rack auctions. One of them evidently sold, as that one has been gone for awhile.
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh, you know what, I had the "auction only" filter on. I see them now.

Doug
  • Options
    David is correct, the baseball racks are also still up. ALL of those auctions really should be taken down..

• Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>David is correct, the baseball racks are also still up. ALL of those auctions really should be taken down.. >>

+1. You would think by now, these consignment guys would get educated on bogus packs/racks. Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    DtyDty Posts: 310 ✭✭
    Kudos to Grote for catching and pointing out the eraser marks on the back of the Headers.....I think you just saved a few guys on this board a few bucks!

Link to my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/halftimecardsandcollectibles/

Unopened Boxes, Packs, Cards, and Tickets

Just send me a PM or email me for discount off eBay pricing. Thanks
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I'm one of those guys. Tim knows I cant keep my hands off vintage racks, including 71s and I might well have tried one or two of these.

Clearly, they are both from the same source. All of the headers are beat up, have erased areas and in most cases, the punch outs dont match the plastic wrapper either.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and in most cases, the punch outs dont match the plastic wrapper either. >>

Good catch. The 1971 racks had the circle punch out, not the cross slits like in 1972 and later.

The 1971 racks should look like this one.

The 1972 racks look like this for comparison.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    It is a sad state of affairs for unopened material. Oh wait, BBCE just loaded up...with empty boxes!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Has anyone contacted Rick to tell him these '71 FB racks he's selling are NG?

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Cough, fake Mantle pack was never pulled either, cough.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I just sent a message to Rick.

aconte
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd. Probstein is usually really good at responding to issues that might be detrimental to his bottomline.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>Odd. Probstein is usually really good at responding to issues that might be detrimental to his bottomline. >>

This seller is currently away until Jan 19, 2013, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later.

According to ebay he is away until tomorrow...maybe he will address it then?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone contacted Rick to tell him these '71 FB racks he's selling are NG? >>

This isn't the first time we have had to notify Rick he is selling re-sealed packs. I am not saying Rick knows the packs/racks he is selling are no good. Just saying after 2 or 3 times I would start getting an expert or become very educated.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Odd. Probstein is usually really good at responding to issues that might be detrimental to his bottomline. >>

This seller is currently away until Jan 19, 2013, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later.

According to ebay he is away until tomorrow...maybe he will address it then? >>

He always has that message on his auctions pretty much all yhe time.

• Options
    He has them on Friday nights because after Friday's sundown it is the Sabbath for him.

I'm sure he can not use electronics until Sunday.
  • Options
    Here is another Probstein un-opened item that doesn't seem right to me. He has a 80/81 bskt wax pack tray listed graded by GAI. Now even though it is GAI graded doesn't mean it's legit. I have never seen an 80/81 bskt wax tray. I checked one of the links someone posted about the history of wax trays and here is what it says:

"Post 1979

The last time Topps made a Tray with a backboard and cello wrapping was for 1980 BB. Toward the end of the 1980 BB production process, Topps shifted to a cello sleeve and that was used until 1985.

If you see any cardboard trays on the market after 1980 BB, (like 1980 Basketball or Hockey) please re-read the above"

Rick really needs to stay on top of this. To many re-sealed packs are on his Ebay page. He still has the bogus 71 FB racks up.

80/81 Bskt Wax Tray

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Mark, you are correct. Topps did not produce 80/81 basketball trays. The LAST wax tray on a cardboard backing was the 1980 baseball wax tray.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probstein will be around any moment to set this whole thing right. I can feel it.
  • Options
    Looks like another '71 rack up for sale with an eraser mark on the header card.

1971 Rack

• Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    I'm not an unopened pack guy, so please excuse my ignorance- where is the eraser mark and what does it signify- that the header has been re-inserted into another pack? Thanks!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    nor are those '79/80 hockey trays real