Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whats the best coin you ever cherrypicked

Just was wondering if anyone ever cherrypicks a real rarity that can actually be sold for a profit, i have found alot of varieties from the cherrypickers guide but so few people collect those varieties it dosn't pay to buy them, has anyone really picked a salable variety?????

Also has anyone cherried a proof set for no-mint mark coins like the 68 no s dime, 71 no s nickel or things like that

Comments

• Options
    IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    Cherry picked this from a dealer. Paid about $2

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Great find IWOG!!!

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to find several of the 1983DDR cents when I lived in Florida. image
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I bought a PCGS 1857 Flyer and when it arrived it was the "type of 56" variety.

sometimes I'm glad PCGS doesn't do their homework on stuff like that.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a 1858 double date half dime for $2 (in FINE). image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I found a nice 1970-s proof small date lincoln in a dealer's showcase, bought it for $45 and it made PCGS PR66 DCAM!

Paul
  • Options
    1802 NC-2 large cent eleventh known specimen paid $20 lists at $3000
    1802 NC-1 ;arge cent for $30 lists at $250
    1797 S-121a large cent 16th known specimen $30 lists at $2000
    12th finest 1803 S-262 lists $1000 cost $80

Quite a few other scarce large cent varieties
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I got 3 1943 double eye jefferson nickles and two 1939 double monticello's from the same dealer at a mall coin show. paid about $15 for the lot. the double eyes went Anacs 64 for each and the 39's went 63 and 64....sold for lots of casssssshhhhhhhhh
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I've found tons of varieties (many undocumented).

Over the years I've found probably 15-20 1968-S 25¢ DDR FS-027. These are pretty neat. I've got one left in NGC PR66 if anyone is interested.

Tons of DDO & DDR Jeffersons. This is one overlooked series.

I once purchased a 1799 1¢ off a bid board for a few dollars. People thought it was fake. Too bad for them. image

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I just got the 1868 shield nickel back from ANACS that I bought off of Ebay for $12.00. It came back as a Variety 5 reverse of 1868 (FS-0002.98). It only grades out at VG-8, but it's not net graded. It's still a cool coin in that they estimate that there were only about 29,000 of this variety of reverse minted. Now the trick is to find someone that collects shield nickel varieties.image

Bill
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    An 1858/7 flying eagle cent in the AU-55/58 for under $200... a 1914/3 nickel for $9.00. I also have a couple of 1914-D nickels that SEGS and Fivaz/Stanton recognize as 14/13-D in VG-10 and XF-40. Haven't sold these yet, but am entertaining offers (e-mail me for scans if interested).
    Will Rossman
    Peak Numismatics
    Monument, CO
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I haven't, but my brother cherry picked a 10 escudo gold (1/4 oz) coin for free once.
  • Options
    1812/11 50c rainbow colors, bought raw $105 as a 1812 50c. ANACS MS 64 and in my safe.

TBT
  • Options
    I haven't, but my brother cherry picked a 10 escudo gold (1/4 oz) coin for free once.

Are you sure he didn't "pocket" the 10 escudo? How does one cherry a coin for free?image
  • Options
    Greg - This approach seems a little harsh don't you think? If the guy stole the coin I suspect he would have said so. A better way to phrase this might have been " how did your brother acquire it for free?". Maybe next time.
  • Options
    Got a MS63-64 1974-D DDO Kennedy for $2.
  • Options
    lincolnSence, if I wanted a better way to say what I wrote, I would have asked for it.
  • Options
    Although I didn't cherrypick it, I did find a 1994 Lincoln DDR FS 039.9. While I picked the coin up at face value, I recently sold this coin for $220. Not a bad profit for checking your changeimageimage

Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    lol greg your just to funny!

ok how about these 1877 seated halves with type 1 reverse. I think I own them all lol. and never payed more than 59$ for any of them .

that is until I had to buy one from dick osborn, he always has the best in seated coinage for sale.

oh yea there all R-7 or R 8/unk .

but sometimes very rare coins are overrated. mostly because people aren't looking for them.
    so low grade very rare coins may stay in curculation for years until someone actually gets hot looking for them.
    may the force be with you.

rob.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you guys have the great stories! Mine is a simple 2Cent coin off a bid board for $10. The previous owner thought it was polished UNC. It was really a RedBrown Proof (slabbed at PR63 w/ PCI).

In a much less fashion, just about a month ago I bid on eBay for a NGC MS68 1976-S Ike. The seller had it listed under "early commemoratives" and also spelled NGC, "NCG". The auction didn't get many hits and I was able to snipe it for about $100.00 (these usually list for about $750.00).

I also just received a board member's 1846-O, ANACS VF30 today. BIN was $210.00 and although it isn't a "steal of a deal" it is an absolutely 100% original coin and a full VF30+ Seated dollar. The "O" mint is a better date too (vs the 1846-P).

peacockcoins

• Options
    I cherrypicked a 1945 Mercury dime. I paid $20 for it. I sent it in to PCGS and it came
    back MS66FB. This happened in a recent dream.imageimage

Brian
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    88-P Kennedy halves from mint sets with rotated reverses, 74-D DDO Kennedy halves from mint sets, 79 and 81 proof T2 $1s from proof sets, 39 DDR nickel in AU, 42-D over horiz. D nickels, 82-P no FG Kennedys in Unc., 36 DDO Lincoln cents...can't remember them all...lot's more for everyone to have fun finding. image
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is four days old and I don't think that anyone has cherrypicked squat.Maybe I'm a little bit ambiguous about the meaning of cherrypicking.Does it mean that when you buy a coin you try and find a variety or does it mean you are picking someone off ?
    Is this thread about how everyone is more knowledgeable numismatically?

• Options
    I have been lucky enough to have it happen twice.The first was a 1942/1 Mercury Dime.It was in a roll of dimes at a local auction.I bought the roll for $11.I sold the coin for $250.The second was a 1909 S/horizontal S.It was in MS63RB.I sold it for $350.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    74-D DDO Kennedy halves from mint sets,

These are great. Nothing like finding a double die so pronounced that you can see it without a glass.

79 and 81 proof T2 $1s from proof sets

It's near impossible to find a T-2 79, but you can still get the T-2 81 from dealers that can't tell them apart.
  • Options
    About 12 years ago a local huckster/dealer had some low grade large cents. He simply told me that I wouldn't be interested in them as they were nothing special. I finally pestered him to show them to me - whoa! I recognized one of them as a 1797 NC-1 grading G 5!!! 5th known! When I asked how much he wanted for that particular coin it suddenly became VF and he wouldn't name a price. I said that the Redbook listed VF's at $350 and that I could probably do that. I could just see him salivating at the deal! Hey, I hope that he spent the $350 wisely because I sold the coin for $10,500!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file