Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eye candy at CoinSite.com...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've mentioned this before, but it's worth mentioning again. Check out the incredible coin images at:

www.coinsite.com

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Moley!

Jimmy Hayes was the premier type collector if the 80's and earlier. First year only. His early material was amazingly and consistently world class. In the 70's he once paid 5X catalogue for a 50 piece commem set because he really really liked the Grant Star. He sold his collection (all metals, the gold incomplete) to fund his successful run for Congressman from Louisiana. Retired from that institution, he evidently has enough time to avidly pursue presidential medals and political buttons and other campaign items. He's served for several years as the lobbyist for ICTA and other tangible-assets groups. Mary Jo Myers, his business partner, has a long history of support for the families of veterans independent of her husband's career. He is a recently retired Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

I was lucky enough to purchase the Carter 93-O S$1 partnered with Jay Miller. A veritable moose, it's among the least impressive coins in this display.

edited to add (or subtract): I can't find my catalogue and a friend told me after this post he doesn't remember any nickel coinage.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, that is flat out SICKimage

OMG

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    emzeeemzee Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭
    The Stack's 1985 Jimmy Hayes Collection Sale was the first major coin auction I ever attended. At this auction, Hayes also sold a 48-piece type set of commemoratives, all with beautiful toning. I purchased (and still own) one coin, a Hugenout 50c, now PCGS ms66. Wish I had bought more !!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats some nice stuff in there
  • Options
    I was the guy in the next to last row jabbering with Dan Hamelberg from Champaign, the great book collector and savant.

I'm wondering if TDN ever saw the 1866 S$1 (now P66?) which passed, I believe, through Ed Milas' and Kenny Duncan's hands. Phenomenal frost and full-headed strike. Super-fine lines and yet you can't stop yourself from saying yummy.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1804 Capped Bust Gold Eagle

Proof. Plain 4. Actually a "Novodel" (made from copy dies). One of the greatest rarities among early eagles. As many as 8 pieces may have been struck, but only 4 are currently traceable.
    Struck around 1834 for inclusion in special sets intended for diplomatic presentation to Muscat, Siam, Japan and Cochin-China. The set presented to the King of Siam remains intact to this day.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was the guy in the next to last row jabbering with Dan Hamelberg from Champaign, the great book and collector and savant.

I'm wondering if TDN ever saw the 1866 S$1 (now P66?) which passed, I believe, through Ed Milas' and Kenny Duncan's hands. Phenomenal frost and full-headed strike. Super-fine lines and yet you can't stop yourself from saying yummy. >>

The 1866 $, now PC7, was part of TDN's set. You either love it or ... not.

K
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    WOW! Viewing the Amon Carter 1794 Dollar in Baltimore last month at Stack's table was the closest thing I have ever had to a religious experience in numismatics.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    Thanks TDN. That coin does not suckimage

Thaks TT, That's in my top 5 all-time faves.image

Edited to say: Thanks Goldbully, the 1804 $10 is my cup of meatimage

TT had some nice stuff, but it was second year of issueimage
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a fantastic treat, thanks!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Wish it were the Mike Hayes collection, instead of the Jimmy Hayes collection !!

Beautiful coins of the utmost rarity !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brass. A exceptionally well-preserved example of a rare, unusual and certainly prophetic piece, collected today as part of the numismatic exonumia genre known as "So-Called Dollars." It was conceived and struck around the beginning of the Civil War by Aaron White, an eccentric Connecticut lawyer. Convinced that the war, and the money creation that went with it, would bankrupt the U.S and cause "greenbacks" to be valueless, White wanted to remind people of the inherent worthlessness of paper money created out of thin air. Fresh on his mind were the suspension of specie payments in 1837 and 1857, and the panic and hard times that followed. Listed in the 1963 Hibler and Kappen reference on So-Called Dollars as HK-830 and described as "Very Rare."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ... copied the above off of a description of a "so called dollar". Great bit of history.
    Gratzi. It's bookmarked, not just for photos.
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Garrett-Jimmy Hayes 1795 Draped Bust Dollar "Choice Brilliant Proof" doesn't look to shabby either. It sold for record $170,000 in the 1980 Garrett auction and $143,000 at the 1985 Hayes auction.

Has this appeared on the market since the 1985 sale or been graded anywhere? Wonder if it got a specimen or proof designation.

http://www.coinsite.com/content/coinpics/1795BU$.asp

1795 Draped Bust Dollar, Small Eagle - Ex. Hayes
    Ex Jimmy Hayes Collection, Stacks, October 1985, lot 73, where it was catalogued "Choice Brilliant Proof." Struck from polished dies and exhibiting extremely sharp detail on the highest parts of the hair and the eagle's breast feathers. Undoubtedly one of the presentation pieces made for influential vistors and others under the administration of Mint Director Henry DeSaussure, many of which found their way to Europe. While this piece traces its provenance back to U.S. collector J. Colvin Randall, circa 1880, Randall made a number of trips across the Atlantic to make acquisitions for his collection. Since there is no record of a "Proof" or specimen 1795 Draped Bust Dollar in America prior to the Randall Sale in 1885, it is quite possible that he acquired the coin abroad. The Lester Merkin specimen, illustrated in Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of United States and Colonial Proof Coins was one such piece. Presumably, it was in England from sometime around the year of issue until its appearance in America in the 1970's, nearly 180 years later.

Ex. Garrett Collection, Bowers & Ruddy, lot 680, March, 1980; earlier from the J. Colvin Randall Collection, W. Elliott Woodward, lot 12, July, 1885

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    So, it's safe to assume these ex-Jimmy Hayes coins would be a good start for a "Box of 20"! image
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Thank you! Now I know where I am going to get my background images for my computer at work!

Sweet!
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    That '40-O seated quarter is nothing short of amazing, I've never seen one as pretty as that, in hand or as an image. The date tends to come looking like crap. Not this one....

'40-O

The '68 seated quarter I viewed at 2010 FUN and couldn't put the coin down, in hand it is also amazing and the image does not capture the luster that coin has. It now resides in arguably the finest seated quarter collection ever assembled.

'68

The '42 proof is amazing and beyond rare, what an incredible coin!

1842 proof

Thanks Andy for reposting this.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Wow, each and every one of those is a jaw dropper.
    Amazing images of amazing coins.
    Thanks.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coins (eventhough most have been dipped).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>Fantastic coins (eventhough most have been dipped). >>

Ignoring the obvious irony, are you an alt for Ricko?
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breathtaking indeed. Love that 1842 small date proof quarter!!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been clicking that link every chance I have gotten since Andy posted it. I remain blown away. Oddly enough I find myself especially drawn to Aaron White So called dollar. This is just something you don't see everyday or any day for that matter. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was the guy in the next to last row jabbering with Dan Hamelberg from Champaign, the great book collector and savant.

I'm wondering if TDN ever saw the 1866 S$1 (now P66?) which passed, I believe, through Ed Milas' and Kenny Duncan's hands. Phenomenal frost and full-headed strike. Super-fine lines and yet you can't stop yourself from saying yummy. >>

FYI, the 1866 dollar passed from my hands to JAH for about $700.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    Thank you, I had forgot about this site. Happy holidays
  • Options
    One more ex Hayes coin:

• Options
    Wasnt his type set composed of all first year of issue examples?
  • Options

<< <i>Wasnt his type set composed of all first year of issue examples? >>

Yes, it was.
    Please visit Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC at DaveWcoins.com
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i was looking at the note again. they sure are nice image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasnt his type set composed of all first year of issue examples?

Spooky thing is that there's another "first year of type" collection out there that is probably better than the Hayes Collection.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! Amazing treasures...

ABimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file