Home U.S. Coin Forum

Counterstamped coins

Been a while since I did one of these threads, I've been working on a counterstamped coin type set (7070) and recently found these coins. I don't know anything about them right now, haven't had the time to do the research, if you know anything about them I'd love to hear it.

But to the point of the thread, post your counterstamped coins if you have any, if you know the history, do tell! Counterstamped coins are history stamped into history...the best!

Comments

• Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Just found out that Chas. Wendell was a jeweler.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff. I don't own any counterstamped coins.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are probably aware of this site but here it is nonetheless yes, click here

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

I am aware, thanks just the same. That's where I got the jeweler research from. I also saw that stacks and HA have each auctioned off one of these same counterstamps.
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea of meaning.

• USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Anyone recognize this stamp? It's one of my favorites:
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage. ....................................image
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the Dr. G. G. Wilkins counterstamps posted by MWallace reminded me of an interesting Capped Bust half dime counterstamp that I acquired from Maine coin dealer Paul Zebiak (Maritime International). Paul Zebiak, for those who may not know him, always has an interesting and eclectic variety of material at his table, and collectors are well advised to take a few moments to peruse and inquire at his table; you just never know what he may have. While walking the bourse of a Maine coin show in 1996, I inquired of Paul if he might have any interesting half dimes for me to look at. After some thought, Paul replied that he had just one half dime, but posited that I might not be interested, as the coin had "... some damage". As he dug for the coin in his briefcase behind the table, he continued that the coin was counterstamped, and not by just anyone, but by none other than the prolific counterstamper from neighboring New Hampshire, Dr. G. G. Wilkins. I then heard a loud and distinct moan from behind me, and turned to see Frank Van Valen, then of Bowers & Merena of Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, standing behind me. He exclaimed that he specialized in Wilkins counterstamps, and searched coin shows all across the country looking for that obscure item. At this show, he was just one person short of acquiring an interesting specimen of his specialty. I know Frank well, and assured him that if the coin was not of interest to me, he would certainly become the proud new owner. Paul produced the half dime, and upon inspection I was stunned to see that it was an example of the 1836 LM-1.2/V5 (R5), with the double cud on the reverse, in addition to being counterstamped by Dr. G. G. Wilkins. This coin had everything going for it, and with all due respect to my friend Frank Van Valen, this coin was not going anywhere - it became impounded in my half dime reference collection as a key and favorite piece. For those who have read "The Strange World of Dr. G. G. Wilkins", by Q. David Bowers, there were no known examples of Capped Bust half dimes that had been counterstamped by Wilkins at the time of publication; this coin remains the only known example of a Wilkins counterstamped Capped Bust half dime. It uses the smaller radius counterstamp punch, as used on Indian Cents and other smaller diameter coins.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    I picked this one up several years ago. Anyone have information on it?
    imageimage
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

This ball marker reminds me of what I do best on the course. image
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <--Avatar
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

And from our neighbors to the north ...
    imageimage
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looking at the Dr. G. G. Wilkins counterstamps posted by MWallace reminded me of an interesting Capped Bust half dime counterstamp.......... >>

WOW!! Would love to see a picture.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    ditto what my friend Mike Wallace says about wanting to see a pic!

Simon,

There is a G. STORER stamp known on a few Large Cents, may be some relation to Albert but beyond that I'm stumped

Completely unfamiliar with KEWIN (might be only part of a name "....KEWIN")

Wendell, as you point out, was a jeweler and it is interesting to note that there is also a known WENDEL & BRO. stamp (spelled with only one 'L' however) CHAS. WENDELL counterstamps usually reside somewhere in the $75 to $100 range when allowed to bring what the market will bear through venues like Ebay. They seem to be slightly more available than their price would indicate (this price support may be helped some by the fact that Rich Hartzog has shown a bias toward Chicago area exonumia pieces, which is where Wendell was based, and Hartzog published the Brunk pricing supplement some years back)

www.brunkauctions.com

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of those G. G. Wilkins counterstamps just sold for moon money on eBay ($539), is this typical of these pieces or was there something special about this particular coin:

"G. G. Wilkins" counterstamped 1844 cent

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    I think it's the date on the reverse that makes it worth more Sean. I
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looking at the Dr. G. G. Wilkins counterstamps posted by MWallace reminded me of an interesting Capped Bust half dime counterstamp that I acquired from Maine coin dealer Paul Zebiak (Maritime International). Paul Zebiak, for those who may not know him, always has an interesting and eclectic variety of material at his table, and collectors are well advised to take a few moments to peruse and inquire at his table; you just never know what he may have. While walking the bourse of a Maine coin show in 1996, I inquired of Paul if he might have any interesting half dimes for me to look at. After some thought, Paul replied that he had just one half dime, but posited that I might not be interested, as the coin had "... some damage". As he dug for the coin in his briefcase behind the table, he continued that the coin was counterstamped, and not by just anyone, but by none other than the prolific counterstamper from neighboring New Hampshire, Dr. G. G. Wilkins. I then heard a loud and distinct moan from behind me, and turned to see Frank Van Valen, then of Bowers & Merena of Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, standing behind me. He exclaimed that he specialized in Wilkins counterstamps, and searched coin shows all across the country looking for that obscure item. At this show, he was just one person short of acquiring an interesting specimen of his specialty. I know Frank well, and assured him that if the coin was not of interest to me, he would certainly become the proud new owner. Paul produced the half dime, and upon inspection I was stunned to see that it was an example of the 1836 LM-1.2/V5 (R5), with the double cud on the reverse, in addition to being counterstamped by Dr. G. G. Wilkins. This coin had everything going for it, and with all due respect to my friend Frank Van Valen, this coin was not going anywhere - it became impounded in my half dime reference collection as a key and favorite piece. For those who have read "The Strange World of Dr. G. G. Wilkins", by Q. David Bowers, there were no known examples of Capped Bust half dimes that had been counterstamped by Wilkins at the time of publication; this coin remains the only known example of a Wilkins counterstamped Capped Bust half dime. It uses the smaller radius counterstamp punch, as used on Indian Cents and other smaller diameter coins. >>

MrHalfdime,
    is the 1836 h10c LM-1.2 witht he double cud still only a solid R-5? >>

R-4
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Astrorat, what is the significance of the "20" counterstamp?
    I think they stamped 20 so they didn't get them confused with quarters...basically they were doing the public a service image

Moneylover, I believe yours is a silversmiths mark. Possibly John McMullen, he used a similar initial mark, I M. Comes from www.925-1000.com

Mrhalfdime...pleeeeeeeeeeease show some pics!??!!

<< <i>I think they stamped 20 so they didn't get them confused with quarters...basically they were doing the public a service image

Moneylover, I believe yours is a silversmiths mark. Possibly John McMullen, he used a similar initial mark, I M. Comes from www.925-1000.com

Mrhalfdime...pleeeeeeeeeeease show some pics!??!! >>

You are correct, the IM is the mark is by Philadelphia silversmith John Mcmullin.
    Finest Coins and Relics

<< <i>I think they stamped 20 so they didn't get them confused with quarters...basically they were doing the public a service image

Mrhalfdime...pleeeeeeeeeeease show some pics!??!! >>

You are correct, the IM is the mark is by Philadelphia silversmith John Mcmullin.
    Finest Coins and Relics
    Regrettably I have no images of my Wilkins counterstamped half dime, nor am I equipped to take and post such images. Perhaps I can convince Barndog to post the images if I send the coin to him to photograph (?). If he is agreeable perhaps I will do that. I know, I know. This post is useless without pictures.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • 78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    1812 O-106
    Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Astrorat, what is the significance of the "20" counterstamp? >>

Although I don't have any contemporary confirmation, I am pretty sure the coins were counterstamped to alert merchants of its true value.

Similar to why there are cuts on the edges of some double dimes ... to fool people who judge the coin on "apparent size" and feel rather than on design.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
    "Mrhalfdime...pleeeeeeeeeeease show some pics!??!!

Barndog has graciously agreed to photograph my 1836 LM-1.2/V5 Capped Bust half dime with the Dr. G. G. Wilkins counterstamp, and in turn post it to this thread. I will mail the coin to him this week, and watch to see it posted. It is truly an interesting and significant coin.

I apologize for my serious lack of resources and skills to photograph and post images. I will work to rectify that problem in the future, as I have many interesting half dimes that some might find interesting in future discussions and posts. It certainly does me little good to sit on these coins if I am not able to share them with others.
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Barndog has graciously agreed to photograph my 1836 LM-1.2/V5 Capped Bust half dime with the Dr. G. G. Wilkins counterstamp, and in turn post it to this thread. I will mail the coin to him this week, and watch to see it posted. It is truly an interesting and significant coin. >>

I, for one, look forward to seeing it.

BTW, did anyone notice the Wilkins counterstamp on the 1810 Russian coin that I posted on page 1 is double punched?
    I noticed Mike. Some great Wilkins stamps btw. All I have is the standard Wilkins large cent...cool to have, but not rare so to speak.

Look forward to the half dime!
    here is mrhalfdime's counterstamped half dime:

this is what a wicked nice example of that die marriage (1836 LM-1.2) is supposed to look like (also belongs to mrhalfdime):

Ahhh! There we go. Barndog has posted beautiful photographs of my Dr. G. G. Wilkins counterstamped 1836 LM-1.2/V5 Capped Bust half dime, plus images of another, much higher grade example of the same die marriage from my reference collection. Thank you, Barndog, for providing the images for me. I hope that those who requested images will find these interesting. To my knowledge, this is the only known Capped Bust half dime with the Wilkins counterstamp. There are a few Liberty Seated half dimes with that counterstamp, but not many.
    a larger version of the obverse with the counterstamp

Great little half dime! Here is another one of my bust dime counter stamps:
    edit to add: This is an old image, I really need to update them with my new camera image
    Finest Coins and Relics
    ttt
    Sure looks like there is a letter T between the GG and Wilkins on the half dime!
    Very nice coins Mrhalfdime, I'm su're the GG Wilkins is unique. That Dyer piece is quite nice as well.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1835 Capped Bust Quarter "Houck's Panacea Baltimore" Maryland, Counterstamp, HT-140, Rarity-7.

This is a newly discovered date as up until now none have been known dated beyond 1819 on a capped bust quarter.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

<< <i>1835 Capped Bust Quarter "Houck's Panacea Baltimore" Maryland, Counterstamp, HT-140, Rarity-7.

This is a newly discovered date as up until now none have been known dated beyond 1819 on a capped bust quarter.

Is that your coin Mr. Broadstruck??? I would really like to own that! It combines two of my passions, bust quarters and AWESOME counterstamps.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file