Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My collection of extremely heavily chopmarked trade dollars... now photographed!

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
Quite a while ago (ca. 2003?) I picked up an 1874-CC trade dollar off the BST (with a chop opposite the mintmark, the CC is almost totally gone, but trust me, it's there). The coin appealed to me because it had a ton of chopmarks and lots of character. I've always liked the coin, and 2 or 3 years ago, thought it would be fun to attempt a date set of heavily chopmarked trade dollars. I don't spend much time searching for coins for the set, but I keep my eyes open and have since added four more coins.

The 1877 is a really original piece, though it's cupped due to all the chops. The 1875-CC is probably my least favorite of the bunch as it's not just cleaned, but some of the gunk remains in the chops (any ideas how to get it out?). The 1877 is grade F15 by PCGS, although it, too, is obviously cleaned. My understanding is that 1877s are quite hard to find with any chops, so although it has fewer chops than the other coins, it is one to hold onto for now.

The 1875 is my latest addition, arriving yesterday, and it comes with a story. I was back east for Thanksgiving and on a train this past Sunday. While on the train, I saw this coin on eBay on my phone and figured I'd check it out when I got back and could see it on a larger screen; it looked nice, but I wanted a better look. On the train ride back, the train was stopped for more than an hour when all the tracks in North Philly were shut down by the police who were searching for a suspect running around them. Long story short, I realized I wasn't going to make it back in time to see the coin on a larger screen, and with 6% battery remaining on my phone (what can I say, I got bored on the ride), I set up a snipe and hoped for the best. The coin turned out to be a really nice piece with a good amount of lustre and attractive orange/gold toning. Definitely a keeper.

Anyway, here are the coins...

New additions! (updated 5/1/15)

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file