Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1973 Topps Checklist #588

One of the tougher cards to find in high grade as many 73 collectors would acknowledge (I think). This card occupies the lowest grade in my set. Was excited to see an 8 pop up on eBay...and then I enlarged the scan. Am I not looking at this card correctly...outside of the nice centering...I see 4 touched corners, chipping on the right side...and some fading on the black border near the bottom left. I see this is a newly graded example based on the cert #...is PSA getting more lenient on this card? I have a PSA 6 that looks better than this...

1973 #588

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Looks like an OPC card.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    In PSA 8, that card sells for more than each and every Hall of Famer in the 1973 set!

Yep...including the Schmidt Rookie!
  • Options
    SOM, that isn't true...The high series checklist will usually go from 80-120$ in PSA 8, the Schmidt will go for 250-ish
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually consigned that card to Rick, and it definitely got the 8 for general eye appeal. Vibrant and well-centered, the corners are about the same as a 7 I have.

I hope it goes higher than a Schmidt image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Very cool....good luck on it. 8's don't come up very often...
  • Options
    its fantastic !!!
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    That is definitely one of the toughest cards in the set to find in high grade. I'd say the 10 toughest cards would be in no particular order:
    #173 Breedan
    #217 Wilson
    #247 Unser
    #259 Holt
    #449 Aspromonte
    #534 Lemonds
    #560 Howard
    #588 Checklist
    #590 Johnson
    #593 McKeon

I'm going to also mention the Yaz and Morgan as two HOF cards that are tough in high grade.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    I agree with all of those....

and as a sub group of that group...I'd add Bruce Kison and Dave Cash as cards your rarely see come up for sale. Rookie Pitchers #608 is also a rough one.
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    116 is a bear also, especially in the brown version.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    So you think a Brown Bear is tough....................

I will have to look for my pile of high numbers to see if I have any that may grade high. I doubt it but I will check anyway.

Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    The checklist has super nice centering. When I did my set I had to cross the 590 Johnson from SGC to PSA. Brutal wait I may add. But this set really has some toughies!
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    You're right, grigaldi.

I looked at VCP, and they had the latest price for a Schmidt 8 at $87. But it was for an 8OC!

My bad.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA has been uneven with their grading of 1973s. I'm thinking about resubbing some of the low pop 9s that I have in 8 grade but are very high end for an 8. I've been picking up some of the cheaper 9s through various sources and I've been less than impressed with several of them. The worst by far I've found are through Sirius. They look like slider 8s rather than 9s. Probably all came from the same consignor off the same submission.

Here's my checklist #588. Centering is less than ideal but good enough for a 9. Corners are razor sharp like most cards from the set I picked up about 12 years ago on eBay.

• Options
    John,

You are right, the centering is less than ideal on that card. Better off selling it to me and you can look for a better one.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    I meant #131 is tough to find in the brown version (and the orange is not terribly easy to find either) not #116 which I had mistakenly mentioned in my earlier post.
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Per a pop report run today, the 10 lowest pop % in PSA 9 of total graded, ranks as follows (Not including MGR cards with Variations:

Current ranking of Manager Variations Lowest to Highest (Keep in mind many, many Manager cards have been incorrectly identified.):

Current ranking of the 3 (GAP) cards which have recently been included in the pop report:

Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports