Home Sports Talk
Options

Most clean-cut, role models in sports

David Wright from the Mets
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    David Murphy of the Texas Rangers. Really neat guy. Fan friendly, no profanity, good ballplayer, good to the community and plays hard. I've watched him on more then one occasion help random fans that ask him when he is driving in with their fundraisers, doing appearances for their youth groups, etc. One of the most down to earth Rangers. You can ask him to help, give him your number, he will call you, and seek out the details and if it's legit, he will do what he can.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dustin Pedroia the lil engine that could
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve Yzerman and Nick Lidstrom. They sweat class.........MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peyton Manning of "The Indianapolis Colts" image

I mean "The Denver Broncos" image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Peyton Manning of "The Indianapolis Colts" image

I mean "The Denver Broncos" >>

Ask the trainer he sexually harassed in college, and then defamed in print, if he's a "clean-cut role model".

Tabe
  • Options
    I have never heard or read a bad word about Peyton Manning.

I would find this very hard to believe.

Peyton has always been a class act in his time in INDY!!!

GrandAm image
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Steve Garvey was "Mr. Clean" when I was a kid, married to Cindy, seemed like a pretty clean cut role model... and then when I was in college he had allegedly impregnated two women at the same time if I remember correctly. You just never know....
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan Musial.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Tebow.
  • Options
    Name a clean cut role model who didn't become unclean with the fame ion the last 30 years. Tebow? already a ho. Probable crack addict. hee hee
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cal Ripken Jr.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    robbie gould
  • Options

<< <i>I have never heard or read a bad word about Peyton Manning.

I would find this very hard to believe.

Peyton has always been a class act in his time in INDY!!!

GrandAm image >>

Did ya bother to do a google search? Try it, you might be surprised to learn what I reported is the truth.

Tabe
  • Options
    A college boy who mooned a vulgar mouthed female trainer imageimage

OMG,,,,, he should be banned from football for life. image

JMHO GrandAm image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Kobe Bryant
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭✭
    Metta World Peaceimage
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭✭
    In all seriousness.......not clean cut and very unorthadox, crazy intense; but I look up to him greatly/////////////////The ultimate sacrifice of money, fame and life.

PAT TILLMAN
  • Options
    Can't beat Tillman. Peyton is just another hypocrite - smile for the cameras and do something totally different behind the scenes.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat Tillman really stands alone, imo..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Dale Murphy. Hands down.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Curtis Granderson.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I agree with Dale Murphy. Maybe not quite a HOFer as a player, but a first ballot HOFer as a human being.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>Pat Tillman really stands alone, imo.. >>

You must not include the scores of other athletes who served in the military to reach such a conclusion.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Ray Lewis, dead serious nobody comes close to what he does for the community and its a shame he had to at the wrong place at the worst time image
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Torii Hunter
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Jim Thome. No one nicer in baseball.
    What I Collect:

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tebow. >>

No way. Considering how he's in Las Vegas or L.A.'s TMZ area almost every other weekend doing the celebrity/ paparrazzi party scene it's only time until he has his own Tiger Woods style exposed revelation. When that happens (and I say it will in the near future) his blindly loyal followers will blame everybody else except him should he get caught doing something he wasn't expected to.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Bob Cerv
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Junior Griffey
  • Options

<< <i>A college boy who mooned a vulgar mouthed female trainer imageimage

OMG,,,,, he should be banned from football for life. image >>

Well, that's certainly one spin on it. The version I've read and heard was that Manning actually made physical contact with the trainer's face using a naked part of his anatomy. That's far more than "mooning". He then trashed her in his book for no apparent reason, resulting in the lawsuit that was eventually settled.

Not the most horrible thing ever, to be sure, but also something that's kinda been hushed up since, well, forever.

Tabe
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pat Tillman really stands alone, imo.. >>

You must not include the scores of other athletes who served in the military to reach such a conclusion. >>

My choice of Tillman was not intended in any fashion to denigrate anyone else or any other athletes who have served in the military,
    but was my answer to the OP's specific question. You obviously missed the point of the question.

In any case, there aren't many professional athletes in this era who would turn down a multi-year, million-dollar contract to voluntarily
    and actively serve in the military--in fact, I can't think of any in the last 20 years.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    A lot of great names on here (Ray Lewis? PLEASE)

I find it hard to believe that no one mentioned the greatest role model of all time..... Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Griffy Jr , Nolan Ryan, Steve nash
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Al Kaline
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Roger Stubach (Please!) heres an article (not sure which one is the link on here) of him blatantly lying about his identity to an unknowing woman, and last time i checked lying is one of the big 7 sins, no athletes perfect but Ray Lewis just as Roger is a Role model (;

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2009-12-17/news/roger-the-dodger-gets-called-back-to-lead-one-more-super-bowl-drive/

Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    If the link wont open you can just type it into google (:

Also gotta say Nile Kinnick is up there, he knew he was going die in order to save the lives of several other people...
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    fiveniner........AL Kaline....I have to agree

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options

<< <i>fiveniner........AL Kaline....I have to agree

Tony
    KalineFan >>

Good call.

Tabe
  • Options
    Stan Musial
    What I Collect:

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>fiveniner........AL Kaline....I have to agree

Tony
    KalineFan >>

Good call.

Tabe >>

Unfortunately guys, I think if we knew the truth, we'd be more than a bit disappointed.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Al was class from the time he put on a big league uniform.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harmon Killebrew RIP

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Of all the NFL quarterbacks in the last decade, Drew Brees comes to mind. He was essentially kicked out of San Diego after injuring his shoulder in his last season with the Chargers. The rest is Super Bowl history. I cant think of anything he has done that is negative and it helps that the NFL and ESPN have the sound bytes of his leadership chants prior to games.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Remember how great Tiger Woods used to be? Wasn't it during the time that he was a philandering SOB? I miss that time, 'cuz he sucks now.
  • Options

<< <i>Roger Stubach (Please!) heres an article (not sure which one is the link on here) of him blatantly lying about his identity to an unknowing woman, and last time i checked lying is one of the big 7 sins, no athletes perfect but Ray Lewis just as Roger is a Role model (;

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2009-12-17/news/roger-the-dodger-gets-called-back-to-lead-one-more-super-bowl-drive/ >>

Its sad when one is unable to tell the difference between A true American hero and your everyday common Thug and Crimminal.

While to his credit, Lewis has throwed some money around to some chairities (Likely at the request of his Agent and PR man)

With his Crimminal history of violent behavior: Assualt, hitting women and fathering children whom the courts had to force him to pay the child support he owed.
    The man is your sterotypical selfish illresponsible Atlhlete. While in his later years he may have toned it down, but he is surely not a role model I want my children to look up to.

And then you make an absolutely ridiculous attempt to discredit one of the game's most honorable player's? With a broken link to some tabloid internet article.

Roger Staubach sacrificed 5 Years of his football career to fullfill the Millitary commitment he made to this country including a one year tour of duty in Viet Nam.
    I would think that in light of the recent veterans day, you would be thanking him for his service to this country, rather than trying to commit character assassination in order to be someone on a message board.

The world would be a better place with more Roger Staubach's and Pat Tillman's. The same is not true of Ray Lewis.

Leadership / Confidence

Athlete / Scholar

Service to Country

Commitment to Family

Community Leader

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>In any case, there aren't many professional athletes in this era who would turn down a multi-year, million-dollar contract to voluntarily and actively serve in the military--in fact, I can't think of any in the last 20 years. >>

Although he did not voluntarily enlist at the height of his career, I'm sure he didn't do it for the money.

Here is a nice article, written 3 years ago, about Tim James.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭