Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the ratio to auction items watched, and items bid on & won?

2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
Often I will PM the seller, and make an offer on an item that is listed usually after the item has been listed as BIN or Best Offer with little interest. I will usually have the offer accepted/countered/or denied. Often in the response I am told that they have "X" many watchers or interest in said item... I say their is little interest if the coin is still for sale...

so as an ebayer are we hurting our selves by watching auctions?

Thoughts?
WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• Hello,

I say no. In my other ares of collecting, if something of import appears online, I send an email, identify myself straight away, explain why I want the item, its value and make a fair, strong offer. Don't recall ever being denied.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait! It's

163:191

Don't know what I was thinking!
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday I had thirteen items in my watch list. I bid on one item yesterday and lost.

Now consider that the items watched are in three different categories and the item bid on was not on the watch list before hand how does one draw a conclusion that there is a interaction.

• BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    I watch far more items than I ever bid on. Many of the items I watch hoping that they will be relisted at a reasonable price.
    That rarely happens though.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    In a Heritage Signature Auction, I may track forty lots. My bidding normally occurs whenever the high bid comes anywhere close to my max, or on the last day of bidding. Usually I place about ten bids, win maybe three.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me? 3 "Watches" for every one purchase.

I like to see the price some items (not just coins) close and check the number of bids received.

I watch many items I have no intention of bidding on.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I make an offer to an ebay seller I make sure it's NOT on my watch list. Don't want him thinking there's more interest than there is.

I probably bid on 10% of those items I watch, FWIW.
    Lance.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always put a lowball bid in - easier to watch a single bid list than a bid and watch list.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

• << <i>Thoughts? >>

I don't see the point of trying to justify an offer to the seller.

"Your coin has (pick one or more) ugly toning/hairlines/weak strike/rim ding/etc..."

Why do you want to buy a coin it appears you don't really like?

"Greysheet says...."

Buy one from them, then.

"There are six others of the same date on eBay right now for less."

Buy one of them, then.

"The last one on eBay sold for..."

Guess you should have bought that one, then.

IMO, just make your offer and be done with it. But then, that's just me... image
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭
    BIN only requires one person to decide they want the item at that price. If lots of people are watching that item, there's a good chance the BIN will be hit.

If 18 people are watching one item vs. 3 watching another, as a seller, I will be much more willing to accept offers on the less-watched item. The more-watched item obviously is generating interest. I'd rather drop the price a little and re-list than take a significantly lower offer.
  • jedmjedm Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak for anyone else, but if all my offers were accepted I would definitely start to thinking that maybe my offers are too high. My offers only get accepted about half the time. I bid on maybe about 3 or 4 to each item I win. Rarely do I watch an item.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file