Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Batting Order Line-Ups

Is there any demand for batting line-ups? I have one from an August 12 1983 (I believe) game between the Tigers and Yankees. It is completely hand-written by Billy Martin and signed at the bottom. The other is also hand written in Sparky Anderson's pen (both are from the same game). I dont have it on hand for scanning, but at my parents house at the moment that I want to send for authentication. Do PSA/DNA verify these kinds of items? I figure that the whole thing is filled out by the respective managers and both signed, also Mattingly was in the line-up in his rookie year (pinch hitting) which I thought might add to the value of it.

This is the box score from that game

box score

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    i would say they have some value. not sure how much
    Billy hasn't signed in a while....
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    I would buy something like that so I would say yes image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone.

I don't collect SLU's/official batting orders - but I think they're a fun collectible - especially if the manager's auto is a notable?

Here's one I have that shows Ted Williams batting 3rd and signed by HOF'er Lou Boudreau.

The game: Sep. 2, 1953 (Wed) at Detroit; Sox won 5-2; P: Parnell: Williams 1/3, 1 RBI; Piersall 2/3; Kell 0/3
    Mike
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>also Mattingly was in the line-up in his rookie year (pinch hitting) which I thought might add to the value of it.
    >>

Not that it matters, but he didn't bat. He was put in RF as a defensive replacement.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother to send them into PSA/DNA to be authenticated as you would never recoup your cost for doing such....Interested buyers would recognize them as genuine.....

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't bother to send them into PSA/DNA to be authenticated as you would never recoup your cost for doing such....Interested buyers would recognize them as genuine.....

IMF >>

I was wondering at some point whether authenticating them would be necessary as they are on official batting line up sheets. I did not know if that would increase the value, nicer display purposes, etc. Or having them raw.

Well, when I get them I will post them here see if there is interest as they are. Any idea of what they might be worth?
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Not meaning to pimp my own stuff but in my "Virtual Garage Sale continues REAL MLB Dugout Line Up cards and autos" thread I have some posted there for sale and have gotten some nibbles. They dont go for a whole lot unless the game involved is a significant game but they are collectable (especially if the manager signed it).
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options

<< <i>Not meaning to pimp my own stuff but in my "Virtual Garage Sale continues REAL MLB Dugout Line Up cards and autos" thread I have some posted there for sale and have gotten some nibbles. They dont go for a whole lot unless the game involved is a significant game but they are collectable (especially if the manager signed it). >>

Billy Martin's signature, despite not being the HOF goes for substantially more than Sparky Anderson, who is in the HOF. Both are deceased. The game I dont think is of any decisive consequence on either teams part as the 80's did not fair well with the Yankees. The team looks like loose strings from the 77-78 years and a rebuilding of a younger group.
  • Options
    Unless there is some unknown historical significance to this game; I would value the pair in the neighborhood of $75

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Unless there is some unknown historical significance to this game; I would value the pair in the neighborhood of $75

IMF >>

I agree with this. While these are unique and interesting items, the demand isnt there to drive the price up.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I personnaly like this kind of oddball stuff. I would think that since both are from the same game, then there would be a slight premium. I would certainly pay $75 for the pair. I would mat the lineup cards in the center and pull individual cards who played on that day to mat along with the lineups. Or maybe find a scorecard for that series and mat with the lineups. If they are in good condition, I would be interested.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I've looked at these before as there are often several for sale at any time on ebay. The format of the dugout lineup card concerns me- There doesn't seem to be a lot of uniformity around them. Even within the same year for the same team playing at home, I've seen different versions, which you wouldn't expect. Also- Some have space on the bottom for manager signatures, but many don't. I always thought the rule for dugout cards is that a manager signed them and handed it to the opposing manager before the game- So what are all the non-signed dugout cards about?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I've seen some that are basically copies of the original, made by whatever that stuff is called (carbon paper?) that's dark blue and used by writing on the top sheet to produce the copy below, not a fan of those ones.
  • Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    I like this kind of oddball stuff also...Here's one I picked up last year...I also found the program from this game which I display with it. Still looking for a ticket stub from the game...

• Options
    Here are ones from Game 3 of the 1970 World Series and the 1971 ALCS (these were the ones that hung on the dugout wall; much smaller than what they use today)

• Options
    I love that Stengel card. I am hoping to add some Yankee batting order cards to my collection in the near future.
  • Options
    Here are ones similar to what the OP noted; the significance of this game was that it was the FIRST game of Cal Ripken Jr.'s consecutive game streak

• Options
    Those are cool box scores, both for their respective reasons. I like seeing those older ones. That looks like Casey Stengel's auto?

Pretty cool to have the first game of Ripken's streak there. To me that would seem to have significance and with Earl Weaver's auto on that. Those look like the ones I have.
  • Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    value would be different if they are the lineup cards from the dugout actually signed or if they are the carbon umpire cards. The Martin if signed and from the dugout I would say would be worth in the neighborhood of 150-200. The Anderson around 50. If they are the small carbons maybe 25-50 for the pair. If they are the small originals 75-100 for the pair is about right.
  • Options
    I was finally able to get my batting order sheets from back east with Billy Martin and Sparky Anderson auto's on them. They are from 1983. I dont think anything significant happened and I am pretty sure the Yanks lost. It does feature Mattingly in his rookie season stepping in later in the game. I suppose these are not worth much more than the autograph itself.

• Options

<< <i>I was finally able to get my batting order sheets from back east with Billy Martin and Sparky Anderson auto's on them. They are from 1983. I dont think anything significant happened and I am pretty sure the Yanks lost. It does feature Mattingly in his rookie season stepping in later in the game. I suppose these are not worth much more than the autograph itself.

image >>

They do have some value but nothing huge unless you can show this game is one of significance. And for the record, I would suggest that the Sparky Anderson auto at the bottom is a coaches signed signature and not one of his own. Very often a specific coach would fill out the line up cards for the managers and honestly, that "Anderson" is not one I have seen Sparky sign before. I am no expert on autos but his auto is, well sloppy even from his manager days and that doesnt look like something he signed.
  • Options

<< <i>

They do have some value but nothing huge unless you can show this game is one of significance. And for the record, I would suggest that the Sparky Anderson auto at the bottom is a coaches signed signature and not one of his own. Very often a specific coach would fill out the line up cards for the managers and honestly, that "Anderson" is not one I have seen Sparky sign before. I am no expert on autos but his auto is, well sloppy even from his manager days and that doesnt look like something he signed. >>

Ahhh. Did not even consider that. I googled his auto and I see what you mean that it is a sloppy signature.

Anderson auto