Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Topps Case Break - ALL Boxes Ripped (Now proud owner of 11,500 commons)

Okay, so Ill probably just end up with 11,150 commons, or maybe a Frank Thomas NNOF. Pfft, right - but it will still be fun to open.

Ill update as I go along but don't be in a hurry to hit that refresh button because I doubt you'll be seeing anything special. Ill start off with 2 boxes and come back here.

Here we go....

Comments

• Options
    good luck hope you pull many Thomas NNOF!!!!!!!!!!! also nice cat BTW
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Good luck Marc.

Wishing you a case full of these:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    I keep thinking about doing this myself. Did you find your case on Ebay or from somewhere else? Good luck
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like BBCE tape! Good luck!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    BTW, save/grade/sell your box bottoms! image
  • Options
    Okay, 2 boxes down. Nothing - Did you really expect anything else? lol

I did get a Thomas in the 1st box. None in the second. Ill do 3 more boxes and come back. Commence ripping....

Oh, and yeah, got these from bbce.
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Good luck!
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    To the OP- Are you familiar with this thread? If it is an error case then several cards would be affected. If you found a Thomas in the first 2 boxes that wasn't an error
    doesn't that mean your search for the NNOF in this case is in vain?

1990 Thomas NNOD thread
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Foo!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the positive vibes.

I have read that post - I know someone on here that opened a case and pulled out 4 and also get plenty of Thomas's with his name on the front so I wouldn't exactly say its in vain however everytime I pull out a Jeff Russell all-star card (that one is the most obvious with the missing borders) - I look at that one closely. Ive only pulled out 2 Jeff Russell's and the black line border is still intact.

I have pulled out only 2 Frank Thomas cards out of 5 boxes. I really hoping about 2 per box actually.

5 boxes down, 15 more to go. Ill rip 2 more and be back...

• Options
    Good luck with the next 15 boxes!
  • Options
    good luck!
  • Options
    RudedawgRudedawg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    The crowd chants "Foo, Foo, Foo, Foo, Foo!!"

This interactive/updated ripping thing is kinda cool. Rooting for ya!!

I'm a big fan of Griffey's All Star Rookie from this set, lots of those can't be bad image

Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see you got some Canseco cards...best of luck on the rest!
  • Options
    Okay, so Ive opened a total of 7 boxes

Only 2 Frank Thomas's so far. wow

Ive got about 5-8 of everyone else - including sosa, canseco, nolan ryan, bonds and everyone else.

This is getting painful but Im going to keep going.

Ive already taken the best looking box (which probably has the NNOF with my luck) and placed it in my closet with my other sealed topps sets and wax boxes.

So here we are with 12 more boxes that were going to open tonight. This is going to be a long night.

Getting a little help from my other cat (Dallas)

And watching the Giants Vs The Reds Game (Go Giants!!)

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    My educated guess is that if one box in the cased doesn't feature NNOF cards, the rest are extremely unlikely to. All NNOF and error cards from that print run would likely make up full cases.
  • Options
    This is brutal. Opened 2 more boxes and not 1 single Thomas!

Forget NNOF Frank Thomas! - How about some Frank Thomas W/NOF.

So 9 boxes opened and only 2 Frank Thomas's - And those were in the first 2 boxes. Holy crap. Im already noticing packs that are packed the same. Im getting a lot or Mattinglys and Mcgwires with gum stuck to them. Also it seems that Ken Griffey Jr comes in the same pack as Craig Worthington - about 6 out of 8 times at least.

10 Boxes to go - were half way home. If this keeps up, Ill only get 4 Frank Thomas's out of a case of 20 boxes.
  • Options
    JuggsJuggs Posts: 495
    How many sticks of gum do you have in your mouth right now?
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Foo,

Take a look at your Ryne Sandberg cards, #210. A PSA 10 in that card will land you about $100 on ebay, maybe a bit more. It's a pop 4, and I know of 2 guys very interested.

Good luck with the rest of the rip.

Mike
  • Options
    What are your plans with commons? Bonfire?

Kidding aside, I'd take some off your hands.
    Workin on:71 Topps Baseball, PSA 7 or better, Dan Marino Master Set
    Sportlots inventory:
    splot
    My eBay store:
    ebay
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I've never attempted a rip like this, but I salute you for your effort.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭✭
    I am doing the 1990 yankees tops set so I would takes some off your hand.
    doing it in psa 10

good luck in your NNOF effort
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    I know it's a lot of work but send those commons to the local Children’s Hospital or donate them to a local Elementary or Middle School.
  • Options
    Take a look at your Ryne Sandberg cards, #210. A PSA 10 in that card will land you about $100 on ebay, maybe a bit more. It's a pop 4, and I know of 2 guys very interested.

Thanks - Thats good to know info. I definitely have a few Sandberg's that look pretty good.

So I opened 2 more boxes - got 3 Frank Thomas's on the 2nd box so that makes 5 total. Still nothing that will pay the mortgage.

8 more boxes to go. Opening these boxes in itself is a lot of work....
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    cool cats helping out with the rip image

• Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, Marc. Even though the odds are against pulling a NNOF Thomas or other error, it is still a fun rip. And in the case from which I pulled my 4 NNOF Thomas cards, there were several normal Thomas cards as well. And I pulled only 1 of the All-star Carlton Fisk cards with missing black....along with about a dozen of those Fisk cards that were perfectly normal. Like I stated in the 1990 Topps Blackless Error thread, had I pulled one of the normal Thomas cards first from that case, I would have never opened the rest of the packs and thus might not have ever found any of the error cards.

Edited to ask: Marc, does your cat "pull down" on the corner of your cases with its paws whenever a fresh case arrives through the front door? My cat always does.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for sharing, Marc. Even though the odds are against pulling a NNOF Thomas or other error, it is still a fun rip. And in the case from which I pulled my 4 NNOF Thomas cards, there were several normal Thomas cards as well. And I pulled only 1 of the All-star Carlton Fisk cards with missing black....along with about a dozen of those Fisk cards that were perfectly normal. Like I stated in the 1990 Topps Blackless Error thread, had I pulled one of the normal Thomas cards first from that case, I would have never opened the rest of the packs and thus might not have ever found any of the error cards. >>

Was it just a regular wax case?
  • Options
    Ok, thats it for the night. I never thought Id be tired of opening cards but I'm cooked. I have 6 more boxes left. Obviously the odds are not on my side at this point but were going to continue tomorrow. Who knows - 6 boxes (not counting the one I put away) is still a lot so we will see.

Thanks for everyone who kept up with this tonight and hopefully you will check in tomorrow and see the final results.

Hope everyone has a great night and is enjoying watching the playoffs - seeing how we wont have anymore Baseball for another 6 months after Oct.

Marc

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for sharing, Marc. Even though the odds are against pulling a NNOF Thomas or other error, it is still a fun rip. And in the case from which I pulled my 4 NNOF Thomas cards, there were several normal Thomas cards as well. And I pulled only 1 of the All-star Carlton Fisk cards with missing black....along with about a dozen of those Fisk cards that were perfectly normal. Like I stated in the 1990 Topps Blackless Error thread, had I pulled one of the normal Thomas cards first from that case, I would have never opened the rest of the packs and thus might not have ever found any of the error cards. >>

Was it just a regular wax case? >>

It was a bit smaller than a regular 20 box wax case, but they were the standard 16 card wax packs like those Marc is opening.
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    A for effort.

I think it is almost impossible to comprehend the amount of 1990 Topps produced, so even 100 cases are likely to produce nothing.

To boot, besides the "blackless" variations the set is probably the most devoid of errors or variations of any Topps set from the true cardboard era. It can be a real chore to bust this stuff. Hats off to you.

To my knowledge the only true, corrected variation in the entire set is Lee Smith.

Some others to look for:1990 Topps Variations
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Ok Foo, you've done it again. You talked me into an 81 wax box, now a 90 wax case. Ugh. image

I will let you know how goes. I will be glad to donate the commons to a good cause.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Remember its Felix Fermin's birthday today.
  • Options
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take all of your Ben McDonald and Eric Anthony RCs
  • Options
    Ill be ripping the last 6 boxes this evening when I get home from work. At this point I don't expect anything seeing how much of my hope is gone as I can barely pull a regular Frank Thomas with NOF. You never know though, but yet again - I'm sure I know.
  • Options
    Okay, lets get this over with already - last 6.

Ill rip 2 and come back with an update.

• Options
    It's almost like going to work isn't it Foo? I ripped tons of this stuff looking for a gem mint 10 Sandberg. I will never buy another pack of this stuff again!
  • Options

<< <i>It's almost like going to work isn't it Foo? I ripped tons of this stuff looking for a gem mint 10 Sandberg. I will never buy another pack of this stuff again! >>

This is why I take my time and open a few packs here and there when I get the urge. Otherwise it can be exhausting.
  • Options
    RyaneandBo - This is no joke. The biggest pain is opening up the packs. What I'm doing is opening packs four at a time and then staking them together. Then I just repeat this until all the packs are open, then Ill skim through them all and pull the ones I want.

So the first box tonight - 2 Frank Thomas. 2nd - None

Curt Schilling is usually the card in front of Frank Thomas. Ken Griffey Jr CONTINUES to be in from of Craig Worthington and Joe Giradi is always in that same packs. Most of these cards are now mixed in but usually in the same order most of the time from what Ive been noticing.

Ok, 4 left, on with the last one for the night.

Update

Pulled 1 more Thomas - and a little of everything else.

This is pure torture. Ive got 3 more boxes and Ill maybe save them for another time. Maybe tomorrow. At this point. All hope is gone image

Thanks for checking this out everyone - I'm done for the night with 3 Boxes left for another evening/weekend.
    This was fun for a while and its something Ive always wanted to do - now I can say Ive done this and its a lot harder than it seems.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I did that with '91 Score looking for a Mantle insert. It was exhausting (and no luck).
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    I'm sure if you buy another case or two that you will find a NNOF! Give it a shot! LOL Thanks for sharing.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    Yea me and a friend decide to split a 91 Topps case a while back. I dont know what we were thinking. I still need to sort through them sometime. I still would like to bust a 90 case like you did sometime though.
  • Options
    Throw a birthday party for Francisco Cabrera, card #294. Happy 46th birthday Francisco.
  • Options
    Correction, card #254
  • Options
    "Throw a birthday party for Francisco Cabrera, card #294(254). Happy 46th birthday Francisco."

And in 4 days it will be the 20th anniversary of the hit Cabrera had in game 7 of the NLCS against the Pirates.

• Options
    I had the strength in me (lol) to bust open one box this morning. Pulled a Thomas but not "the one".

This was the first Thomas I think that didnt have the normal sequencing - meaning not in the same pack as Curt Schilling.

Maybe Ill open another tonight, maybe I won’t. I’m sure both boxes left will be opened by Sunday night but it really is exhausting.

Jarrod - Did you try and search for the Mantle Auto card back when in 91 or the case you opened was recent?

BenG76 - at least the 91 Topps have vintage cards inside some packs. I’ve opened plenty of those back when those cards were new and I did pull 1 but it was a no name common player. I think the card was from 1976.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Gregg Olson, card #655.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Jarrod - Did you try and search for the Mantle Auto card back when in 91 or the case you opened was recent?

>>

It was recent, maybe a year ago.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    I just busted a case of '91 Upper Deck looking for the Nolan Ryan auto. and man it is tedious work! Don't get me wrong it was still fun but I was done opening packs for a while after that! And no, I didn't get a Ryan image

Brian
    I have no collecting direction. I just buy stuff!
  • Options
    Happy 50th Sid Fernandez, card #480.