Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why didn't this "Doily" slab command a larger premium?

This 1879-P Morgan in a PCGS MS65 "Doily" slab only realized $50 over CDN bid...

Link

While this 1879-S Morgan in a PCGS MS65 "Doily" slab realized almost DOUBLE CDN bid a month earlier...

Link

I'm not by any means a "Doily" holder expert, but I was expecting it to go for upwards of a grand. Judging by the ratio of the 1879-S at 2:1, that sounded like a realistic number, especially in a setting like eBay, where people click "bid" 'til their finger falls off.

Did everyone just fall asleep at the monitor on this one, or do the spreads get smaller as coins' actual values (not in "Doily" holders) increase?

Thanks,
Brian
Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭✭
    The more expensive the coin inside the holder, the less the rarity of the slab adds to the value. Another example of this is how for certain coins a gold CAC sticker may command 3x or more value of the coin but for a more expensive coin it will add only .1x to the overall value or less. Of course, those numbers are arbitrary and fluctuate constantly depending on the market.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something to think about is the actual price that someone is willing to add in to the "value".
    A lot easier to throw an extra hundred or so, than to throw in an extra 600 or so.

The "S" went for ~$242 with almost double bid, as you put it.
    The "P" went for ~$785 with the $50 above bid, as you put it.

So, you have to really really really want something and have enough throwaway/discretionary funds to just toss out to do more.
    Also, how many of each are recorded and do the bidders that want the doilies already have an "S" and need a "P"? How many doily "P" vs "S" are there for 1879?

Too many unanswered questions to know/care. Neither coin looked outstanding when I looked at your links.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    Doily Slab Premiums begin to taper off at a certain price level and in actuality, the popularity of the Doily slab is only due to these forums. I doubt that any collector whose not a member or lurker here would give the doily slab a second thought.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they are being really silly and buying the coin NOT the holder!!image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed that there is a doily premium that is more of a fixed dollar amount and is not a multiple of value. For example, a common roosevelt dime that is worth maybe $10 in a regular slab will sell for around $100-$125 or so in a Doily. When you have a $20 gold piece worth around $2000 in a regular slab, it also goes for a premium in a Doily holder, but might sell for $2100 or so. For most coins it seems that "doily premium" is roughly $100-$150 above the normal non-doily value... that seems to work for most coins, whether you're talking about a $10 common dime or a $500 better date Morgan. Of course, some slip through for less of a premium and others end up costing more, espeically those types of coins you don't see in Doily holders as often.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The more expensive the coin inside the holder, the less the rarity of the slab adds to the value. Another example of this is how for certain coins a gold CAC sticker may command 3x or more value of the coin but for a more expensive coin it will add only .1x to the overall value or less. Of course, those numbers are arbitrary and fluctuate constantly depending on the market. >>

this

also applies to marriages and varieties to an extent

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of the replies, guys. Now I understand the market for these "Doilies" a little bit better... image

I've got one "Doily" for now, but I'm just gonna stick to Bust halves from here on out. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options

<< <i>I've noticed that there is a doily premium that is more of a fixed dollar amount and is not a multiple of value. For example, a common roosevelt dime that is worth maybe $10 in a regular slab will sell for around $100-$125 or so in a Doily. When you have a $20 gold piece worth around $2000 in a regular slab, it also goes for a premium in a Doily holder, but might sell for $2100 or so. For most coins it seems that "doily premium" is roughly $100-$150 above the normal non-doily value... that seems to work for most coins, whether you're talking about a $10 common dime or a $500 better date Morgan. Of course, some slip through for less of a premium and others end up costing more, espeically those types of coins you don't see in Doily holders as often. >>

agree w/ u, i see that a lot in better date coins. doileys only go for premiums more so when they are on the common stuff.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collecting holders is a lot of fun - Whitman should come out with a complete PCGS sample album. image

Really, it's all about scratching the itch - can't afford to buy rare territorials every week, even if they were available. image

Regarding the OP - unless you're doing a complete date run of Morgans in Doilies, there's not much reason to pay a large premium - there are alot of them available.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The more expensive the coin inside the holder, the less the rarity of the slab adds to the value. Another example of this is how for certain coins a gold CAC sticker may command 3x or more value of the coin but for a more expensive coin it will add only .1x to the overall value or less. Of course, those numbers are arbitrary and fluctuate constantly depending on the market. >>

this

also applies to marriages and varieties to an extent
    . >>

Correct.

Generally speaking, the more narrow the market audience, the less a long term premium would apply. Doily Slabs are very popular, but only on these boards. Once that audience gets their "doily" fix, then the market window closes up.

I could see one or two individuals concentrating specifically on Doily slabbed coins but if one of them misses a particular listing, then the premium goes out the window. It takes at least two determined buyers in ANY auction to see any type of premium.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The monster prices assigned to 1879-1881 P mint Morgans on the greysheet are hard to realize in practice. These coins are available cheaply in MS 64 all day long, but there is a gigantic price jump to MS 65. The coin has to be a real, legit, old-time, no-question, MS 65+ GEM to convince a serious collector to pay that kind of price.

Had this coin been housed in an MS 64 holder, it would have drawn more bidders and sold for 2X Trends. That is due not only to the doily, but to the greed factor of thinking it might make MS 65 some day and be worth $700.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file