Home Sports Talk
Options

Will Miguel Cabrera be a Hall of Famer?

orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know he is still fairly young, but I looked at his stats and they are just crazy. 8 years with 30 or more homers, and 9 straight seasons with over 100 rbi's. He also has a .318 career batting average.

What does everybody think? Will he be a hall of famer at the end of his career? If his career ended now, is he a hall of famer?
What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

Comments

• Options
    Unless he falls off a cliff like Juan Gonzalez or gets suspended for PEDs, he should be a lock for the Hall of Fame. If his career ended right now, it could be argued that he gets in on the Kirby Puckett clause.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he continues to produce like this for a few more years he is a LOCK. He hardly ever misses games and his last three years look to be his best. Fantastic OPS. Nine years in a row over .500SLG and 300TB!

If he retired today I think there would be a big argument about his worthiness.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Man is he hot. Now leading the league in Average and RBIs. His 4 HRs over the past 4 games now put him only TWO behind Josh Hamilton. I don't know how ANYBODY can say he is not right there for the MVP this year.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you have a run of 8 straight seasons where your worst year is .292/37/127, a year in which you led the league in homers, then, yeah, you're a HOF'er.

Albert Pujols 162-game averages: .325/42/125
    Miguel Cabrera 162-game averages: .318/34/120

Yeah, he's a HOF'er.

At the time of the trade with Florida, I thought the Tigers had pulled off a tremendous deal - and that was based on the assumption that Dontrelle Willis would be at least pretty good with Detroit. Well, he ended up being horrible - and the trade was still a tremendous one for Detroit. Florida got 6 guys in return, only two of whom have done anything in the majors, neither being a star. The Tigers traded 6 dimes and got a silver dollar and plug nickel in return. Highway robbery.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>I know he is still fairly young, but I looked at his stats and they are just crazy. 8 years with 30 or more homers, and 9 straight seasons with over 100 rbi's. He also has a .318 career batting average.

What does everybody think? Will he be a hall of famer at the end of his career? If his career ended now, is he a hall of famer? >>

Yes. Even if he does not make the MLB HOF, he is a lock for the Hostess Twinkie HOF. Either way, he is a HOF'er.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    He's right at the Albert Belle level right now. Will Clark had a similar run, but playing in Candlestick in the 80s, the homerun totals weren't there. Larry Walker was another name that came immediately to mind with a similar peak. So he definitely isn't there yet and there is precedence for him falling off. But even Belle lasted until age 33, Cabrera doesn't even turn 30 until next season. So unlike someone like Beltran he doesn't even have to be at MVP level ever again to have a Hall-of-Fame career
  • Options
    If he ends up with a Triple Crown he would be a lock. Or he would be Paul Hines, I suppose.
  • Options
    Hopefully he's also closed the door on the MVP race for this year. Here's a good article putting his current season in historical context.
  • Options
    I am actually surprised about the little amount of Triple Crown conversation. Nobody has even come close in over 40 years. Cabrera is one homer from the lead in all three categories. That's pretty darn close. Has baseball become that irrelevant?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>I am actually surprised about the little amount of Triple Crown conversation. Nobody has even come close in over 40 years. Cabrera is one homer from the lead in all three categories. That's pretty darn close. Has baseball become that irrelevant? >>

It's not true that no one has come close. With 6 games left last year, Matt Kemp trailed by .004, 1 HR, and had the RBI lead by 5.

I think there's a bit of a lack of enthusiasm because batting average and RBIs have been pushed aside somewhat by stats like OPS and WAR.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    He is on pace for the HOF. If he stays healthy.......and stays away from the buffet table he should be good.
  • Options

<< <i>Hopefully he's also closed the door on the MVP race for this year. Here's a good article putting his current season in historical context. >>

Over a dozen guys have won the Triple Crown, but ZERO players have hit 30 HR, batted .325, and stolen 45 bases like Mike Trout might do. And, his defense is just as good as his offense.
  • Options
    The operative word there is might. His batting average has dropped 20 points in the past month and he hasn't hit a homer in his past ten games. I don't think he is going to hit both .325 and 30 home runs.
  • Options

<< <i>The operative word there is might. His batting average has dropped 20 points in the past month and he hasn't hit a homer in his past ten games. I don't think he is going to hit both .325 and 30 home runs. >>

He's still going to put up numbers that only 1 or 2 players ever have, even if he continues to slump.
  • Options
    I agree that Trout is doing something that is absolutely amazing at any age, let alone 21.

As I was looking through some comparable stats, I thought A-Rod's 1998 season was pretty similar. At age 22, he put up 42 HR, 46 SB, .310 BA and he finished ninth (ninth!) in the MVP race. Ahhh, the good ol' juice-years.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes he will be a HOFer.

Ask every AL manager who they fear most and it will be Miquel Cabera in a landslide. Only Cabera gets himself out.

He is a beast

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    hes a lock in my book this guy is amazing
  • Options
    Why weren't the WAR guys clamoring for Ben Zobrist to win the MVP two out of the previous three years?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why weren't the WAR guys clamoring for Ben Zobrist to win the MVP two out of the previous three years? >>

Exactly. Kinda points out the flaw in WAR when a guy can put up .269/20/91 and ends up leading the league in WAR.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>Why weren't the WAR guys clamoring for Ben Zobrist to win the MVP two out of the previous three years? >>

Zobrist was NOT in the top 10 in the following in 2011

Not OPS+
    Not Win Probability Added
    Not in Adjusted Batter Runs
    Or in pretty much any other precise offensive measure. These measurements are very accurate and valid in judging a player.

Trout was at the top or near the very top in all those offensive measurements and more, and was on par with Cabrerra in all the key precise hitting measurements, and that has NOTHING to do with a position adjustment like WAR does. Trout also dwarfed Cabrerra in base running ability, which made Trout an overall better offensive player than Cabrerra.

Exactly how much Trout's defense was worth is debatable, but it is obvious that it was worth more than Cabrerra's especially being a CF.

Trout doesnt need a position adjustment to show he was a better offensive player. The position adjustment in WAR just makes the gap a Grand Canyon gap, instead of just a gap.

In totality Trout was the better offensive player over Cabrerra and the better defensive player...which equal the better player for the year.

Zobrist's offensive war in 2011 was 5.5, which was not league leading. The leader was 8.0

Where WAR does have its problems is in its defensive measurement, and in nailing down the position adjusment and exactly how much beating out the replacements at your position is worth, relative to the overall game, and that is what put Zobrist at the top of the league.

In other words, he got the biggest boost in the most imprecise part of the measurements. That is why you have to look at all the key precise hitting measurements, and not rely on WAR as a stand alone.

So that would be why guys who know what they are talking about wouldn't automatically take Zobrists WAR as meaning it is that conclusive that he was better than the league. He wasn't.