Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need Opinions: If I submit this 1975 George Brett will it come back as an OC?

Sorry for the blurry scan, but from what you guys can tell if I submit this to PSA
will it come back as a PSA 8 or PSA 9 OC? The front of the card is fine.

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OC or MC I would guess.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there's even a sliver of gray on that right side, you can get an 8.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    what holder/grade is it now?
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Depends on what the front looks like. If it's cut the same as the back, at the very least it will be OC
  • Options
    I know its not the best thing to do, but I took a risk and bought the card
    on ebay for 70 bucks. The card is graded a Mint 9 but not from PSA or Beckett.
    I just renewed my membership so I am looking for 6 cards to submit, but I am
    worried about the back of the card being an OC, but the front looks fine.

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    i wouldnt send it in. it screams EOT (Ev of Trimming) because of that homemade grading company.

SOrry to hear this happened to you. hopefully youre able to return the card to the seller
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    If corners are sharp and edges smooth, and if it's not trimmed (a big IF) the card may grade PSA 8. Definitely risky, though, as 98% of those cards if they are original would already be in a PSA holder.

Edit to add: the sides do look a bit narrow from that scan.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I just took out the ruler and a 1975 Bobby Murcer to compare. I'm not an expert
    but it doesn't appear to be trimmed. It could be colored though.
  • Options
    Front looks slightly oc as well
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    hopefully youre able to return the card to the seller ???

why would he return the card?? he bought the card, and got the card he paid for
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recognize that holder. I purchased a raw 1954 Topps Rizzuto in the 90s. In 2000 I went to a large show in Cleveland and had CTA grade the card on site. They were very nice people and a second card I brought for grading was looked at by the guy in charge and he said to save my money on that one as he saw a problem that would keep it from grading well. The Rizzuto graded NM-MT. It's a really nice card. I sent it to PSA to cross and was rejected for coloring. I later sent it to SGC for a second opinion and it also came back as colored. They even left a note saying the green on the back was the area colored. I think they lacked the ability to discover the coloring rather than being a lack of integrity otherwise they would have simply graded both cards. I don't know if they are still in business. I would doubt it.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Good news guys my PSA renew membership submission popped and the Brett
    card in question came back a PSA 8.5. So it wasn't trimmed or OC. The bad
    news is that I had a Fisk rookie come back an N8 miscut. Will I get a free
    voucher for that one?

NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 79 RED SOX ROOKIES GARMAN/COOPER/FISK
    NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1975 TOPPS 228 GEORGE BRETT
    N8: MISCUT 1972 TOPPS 79 RED SOX ROOKIES GARMAN/COOPER/FISK
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1980 TOPPS 482 RICKEY HENDERSON
    EXCELLENT 5 1960 TOPPS 316 WILLIE McCOVEY ALL-STAR ROOKIE
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1966 TOPPS 126 JIM PALMER
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news on the Brett! You will get a voucher on the miss cut, but you will have to email and ask for it. Sometimes twice.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I am surprised. So what's that card worth? Was it worth the trouble and expense?
  • Options
    that is awesome!!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    I took a chance and purchased the card for $75. The card should be worth about 175-200. I am keeping
    the card and I just put up on ebay a Brett 1975 Mini 8.5 that I will sell.

Thank you for the info on the N8. I have gotten some vouchers in the past. They usually come in one
    or two weeks after the grades are posted. So I might give it some time before I email PSA.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    great to hear...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭✭
    Good job. 1975's are a crap shoot from 7.5-8.5 and 9 to 10.
  • Options
    Wow, nice grade! The 8.5 means it would have gone straight 9 if it were centered better on back.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    nice outcome.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06