Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help identifying Poland pattern from regular issue

Does anyone know the difference between this Poland coin and the patterns below?

Y110a, 1980-MW 200 Zlotych, proof, 0.7500 Silver, 17.6g, winter olympics ski jumper no torch below

Pr406, "1980 200 Zlotych. 0.7500 Silver. Y#110a" (no weight given, presumably 17.6g and proof?)

Is the mintmark missing from the pattern? Which details are we to assume this pattern shares with Y#110a ???
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't the pattern contain the word "Proba" somewhere on it?
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Well I know "essai" is on my essai strikes but I didn't realize the patterns were stamped "proba." I've seen many US pattens and don't recall such a stamp. But you're probably right, it would probably have some identifying stamp.

Or, perhaps it is missing the mintmark. Hard to say which details of Y110a are different from the Krause catalog.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Roman is right. The modern pattern coins from Poland have Proba on them (at least all the ones I know of).
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Comparing 19th century American patterns with late 20th century Polih patterns is like comparing an apple with bubblegum...any comparison is useless.

American patterns were struck for numerous reasons, usually either as trial strikes or for sale to collectors through unofficial canals both inside and outside of the Mint. These modern polish patterns are rejected designs which are struck in a variety of different metals and then sold to collectors as special patterns. As far as I know these pattern designs have already been rejected by the time they get struck.

Still an interesting field of study, IMHO.

Dennis
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Actually, the pattern in question is the exact same design as the NCLT, same alloy and fineness. But thanks guys for answering my question!

I agree US and world coins are apples and oranges, but there are many similarities - they're both round image - proof strikes are the same the world over - and so I thought maybe just maybe the patterns would all have an identifying stamp (or not). Now I know, Poland are stamped proba. Thanks again!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    I don't have my Polish coin reference book handy (Parchimowicz) to compare the specific coins you're asking about, but there are definitely Polish patterns that do not have the word "Proba" stamped on them. That is true for both pre-World War II and post-war Polish patterns. Here is just one example I found quickly, a pattern 10 zl. commemorative from 1964 struck in nickel without the word "proba": Link.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Secondrepublic is right ... it looks like there are a number of modern pattern coins from Poland that don't have Proba. But, it looks like most of them do.