Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Now this eBay description just says...

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭
    What should it say? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems expensive ($8000) for a problem coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What should it say? image >>

just pointing out a painful state for a once nice coin.

and $8k would pay for a problem free one in VF, no?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its ashame, probably a really nice piece before the cleaning crew got to it.

It happens all the time, when folks call, they always want to clean something before bringing it in. I cant emphasize enough, dont clean it, some folks still do to make it look better in their eyes.

A couple years ago when I first opened, had a guy come in with a ( what was) a really nice 1798 large cent, probably xf+. cleaned the darn thing with brasso. he said it was dark brown and shined it up to look like a new penny. I broke his heart.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What not to do with Grandmas coins......image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny and sad; my initial reaction to the images was "OOOF!"
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    That coin makes me sad. Another rare coin lost it's originality.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your a serious buyer make him an offer. CW Trends is 7750. Perhaps considering its a problem coin he may come down to 5000.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    RodebaughRodebaugh Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    An honest coin made into a problem coin......what a shame.

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If your a serious buyer make him an offer. CW Trends is 7750. Perhaps considering its a problem coin he may come down to 5000. >>

With that obvious/fresh of a cleaning, I'd be surprised if it brought more than 3k at auction.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I hope some day I'm in the financial position that I can afford to gamble $3,000 on a problem coin just hoping somebody will want to buy it for more. There are simply too many non-problem coins for sale!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    If that was my coin I would crack it out and put it in one of those old kraft paper envelopes to let it retone naturally. It wouldn't change it's status as a cleaned problem coin but it would hopefully make it less ugly and make it look a little more natural.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got to a DEALER once, just too late (by seconds) to save a Henry Hines large cent from being scrubbed to death...I was nauseous and just turned and walked away. This was a low-end dealer who someone had brought just a few nice coins to. Ugh!!!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>I got to a DEALER once, just too late (by seconds) to save a Henry Hines large cent from being scrubbed to death...I was nauseous and just turned and walked away. This was a low-end dealer who someone had brought just a few nice coins to. Ugh!!! >>

A dealer should know better. Did you tell him how much money he lost by his actions?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file