Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Donruss Aqeuous Test packs

Anyone win any of the packs that ended a couple of days ago?

Comments

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Seems like the packs were a good deal at $250 for 10 cards considering the seller also sold...

Nolan $1800

Will Clark $1300

Mattingly $1200

Puckett $1000

Mattingly $1000

Puckett $900

McGwire $800

Puckett $700

Ozzie $500

R.Sandberg $500

Checklist $500

Dale Murphy $500

R.Sandberg $400

Juan Gone $300

Ripken $300

...plus tons more cards that sold for under $300. I personally think there's more to this story to come.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I really wanted to pick up a couple of these, but was too cautious in case they weren't authentic. Should have put better snipes in image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Are they authentic is one question (lots of wear on pack corners) but even if they are how much more does he have.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt be worried about if they authentic or not, but would be more concerned with why a seller who is getting that much money for the individual cards is selling the packs for so little.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    This pretty interesting. I never knew there packs of these. I thought they were just promos or test runs of the partial set. Are the cards any different or are they just a regular donruss card with a stamp? Iwhats the dealy with pack? Where did they com from ect? Sorry if these are redundant or obvious questions
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Does anyone have a link to the pack listings? If not how much did they go for and how many cards per pack?
    Hook'em
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have a link to the pack listings? If not how much did they go for and how many cards per pack? >>

Pack Listings (all completed)
  • Options
    I'm very curious why he didn't crack these and sell the singles. He got $2,148.50 in singles from the one pack he opened. Seems there's a lot more money to be made there versus selling them by the pack.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    So he opens one pack and sells the raw singles for ~$2000. He then sells the other 7 unopened packs for ~$1900 combined. Have to say I am a bit skeptical.

Robb
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    Why in the world would Donruss have made packs with promo cards? No company has ever done that to my knowledge.
  • Options
    My thoughts:
    He could tell based on the visible card what cards were in the pack from prior experience opening them. My guess is they are filled with the $2-10 cards he is selling and he knows that. That is the only explanation that makes sense to me.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    i'm guessing the law of diminishing returns applies here... think about it.... look at the stuff he's already found in the packs that have been opened... pretty impressive lot... the odds of repeating that haul is unlikely... using cal ripken as an example from the lot... how many more are really out there? i know of at least 7 ripkens aleady in the hands of collectors (6 owned by people who use this message board)... are there more? maybe... but, if you need a ripken, buying packs isn't the best approach even if we assume as many as 10 exist...

and frankly, $200-$250 for a pack that could yield nothing but jose deleon and mitch webster is a great get for the seller... he's transferred all the risk to the buyer... including the risk that the packs have been searched and re-sealed... naturally, we won't know what was in the 8 packs until the new owners begin selling the contents... assuming they do that... if the contents are all commons, they'll be lucky to recover 25% of their investment in the packs....

at this stage, those packs are a better investment "sealed"...
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Well, looking at the photos of the packs make me even more skeptical. Those are in pretty poor shape to have been "Test" packs. I mean, what did they test them with, a Gorilla thinking a banana was inside?

Seeing as how nobody has ever heard of these "packs" before.....my guess would be, he either knew the sequencing (possible) and knew that there were no good cards inside or the packs were "created" (Extremely Likely)
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    to answer some questions raised above... the aqueous test cards are not promos... they were never intended to leave the factory... it was an effort by donruss to experiment with a cheaper thin, gloss-type of coating on the card picture surface... the backs were altered to add the words "aqueous test" as part of the print process (it's not a stamp added afterwards)... they supposedly ran several sheets of cards for execs/print personnel to review and then destroy... several sheets (reportedly enough to create 5-10 cards of each player on the sheets) somehow went to the cutter, and then to the packer instead of the trash bin... this could have been intentional, of course... an employee cashing-in by moving rare product out the backdoor... in any event, it appears that most (all?) of the aqueous test cards were packed-out together creating the ultimate "hot packs"... from what i've read, most of the cards/packs fell into the hands of 2-3 dealers in north carolina, tennessee and/or wisconsin.. and they are the primary source of the cards that reached the hobby... the pack seller could have been someone who bought from an original seller and sat on the cards until now... or he could have been one of the orginal purchasers.... can't say for sure...

from my experience, the cards appear legit... so, i hope for the sake of the recent buyers that the packs are, too...

based on pics from the pack seller, it appears that there might be more cards per pack than the packs indicate.... donruss lists 3 puzzle pieces and 10 cards per pack... but, the photo gives the impression that there are 15 cards per pack with only 1 puzzle piece...
    if this is the case, it certainly suggests to me that these cards were intentionally packed since an accidental placement of the sheets with other sheets to be packed for sale would logically have resulted in the normal pack of 10 cards/3 puzzles and, theoretically, would have resulted in some mixed packs with both regular and aqueous cards...

i'm guessing that the seller knew the contents simply because these packs came from boxes that had yielded nothing but aqueous test issues.. it's also possible that you can see the end card and the words "aqueous test" through the wrappers...
  • Options
    faking these packs might not be worth effort... first you need to find 1990 donruss wax wrappers in virtually perfect condition... then you would need to find puzzle pieces to go with the cards...

i realize that somebody could easily locate an unopened box of 90 donruss... carefully unwrap some packs... pull out the regular cards and add some aqueous cards and re-seal the packs...

but, why would you put 15 "rare" cards in place of 10 common cards? that doesn't make sense to me...

if anything you could put fewer cards per pack and just suggest that this is the way they came from donruss... who would really know for sure...
  • Options
    Reposting this... I had posted it awhile back on another Aquoues thread...

I had emailed Chandy a couple years ago... I'm terrible at cleaning out my mail... so here was his story on the 1990 Donruss test issues

"Hi---thanks for your note.....yes, I was one of the original purchaser of these cards....I think there was one other purchaser on the aqueous test cards somewhere in the Milwaukee area; while there may be another source for the blue/white cards, I haven't found it yet.....peculiar story how I came across this group; I sent this e-mail out several years ago and saved a copy....have copied it on here for you.....best wishes, Chandy

I bought them with ABSOLUTELY no idea what I was getting.......had a phone call one Saturday morning from a gentleman who explained that he was an ex-employee at Donruss (actually, packaging director). He told me that he had been given a few wax boxes when he left the company and wondered if we were buying....he explained that they were 1988-1992 product, and that there were 20 boxes, mostly 1990-1992 Donruss and Leaf along with a few 1988 Donruss........really exciting stuff......well, maybe not......

He mentioned one 1990 Leaf box, and I made him an offer on the group equal to the value of that one box, since everything else he listed was what I would call junk wax which I figured to be my profit on the deal.

At any rate, he arrived at my store just as I was leaving for my daughter's soccer game (I was team coach and had to be there).....we had agreed on a price, so my assistant paid him and he left (without any conversation with me at all).

When I returned to the store later that afternoon, my assistant had moved the boxes back to the back room. I took a quick look and noted that there were 3 boxes which were not regular Donruss boxes, but rather plain white cardboard boxes with a memo, something to the effect of "Donruss Canada", on the side.....at this point, I opened one of the boxes (in regular 1990 Donruss wrappers) and encountered a pack full of the "blue-white" cards from this ad......having been a collector of and fascinated by proofs, errors, and variations all my collecting career, I about went through the ceiling......but had no way to contact the person I bought them from for any information.

After looking at those, I started perusing all of the other boxes and discovered that the boxes of 1990 Donruss cellos I had purchased all had the "Aqueous Test" overprint on the backs of the cards inside (see some of my other ads).

As you can see, all of these cards came from packs....they weren't cut from sheets, although I'm sure that with these as with any card product, there was an uncut sheet at one time........my guess is that they were different ink tests, one for color, the other for water solubility, but I don't know anything more than you do in that area......"

• Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    I happen to know one of the Ripkens is forever lost in the Postal System and never made it to me. He sent me another one!

Kevin
  • Options
    Hey Kevin,

So for your 2nd one that you had won, it got lost in the mail, but he had another to send?
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>based on pics from the pack seller, it appears that there might be more cards per pack than the packs indicate.... donruss lists 3 puzzle pieces and 10 cards per pack... but, the photo gives the impression that there are 15 cards per pack with only 1 puzzle piece... >>

A single puzzle card (inserted at a rate of 1 per pack) yields 3 puzzle pieces, so that's where the "3" comes from on the packs of Donruss cards from this era.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So he opens one pack and sells the raw singles for ~$2000. He then sells the other 7 unopened packs for ~$1900 combined. Have to say I am a bit skeptical.

Robb >>

He auctioned them all at one time. Maybe he thought they'd go for much higher prices.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Kevin,

So for your 2nd one that you had won, it got lost in the mail, but he had another to send? >>

Yes. I have purchased a total of three myself. I have two and one got lost in the mail.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>
    Yes. I have purchased a total of three myself. I have two and one got lost in the mail.

Kevin >>

Nice, here's hoping that one was pulled from a pack too and gets a nice grade!

So that would put the Ripken's that I know of at 8 total, minus 1 now that is lost in the mail
  • Options
    I won two of the packs. I have been kicking myself in the hiney since though because I bid on almost all of the packs and because I bid so low I only got the two.

The starting bid on these packs was very low...I think only $75. for each auction. Those that question why he sold him so low need to think about though. They only sell for what people bid if it is an actual auction. I doubt very highly the seller thought this was all he would get. I didn't bid on the first auction because I figured it would go for triple what it actually did. Like several bidders after the first pack or two went so low I started bidding thinking that earlier I'd never be able to afford any. This was especially after I saw the Mattingly single go from $380. with 15 minutes to go in the auction to almost $1300. at the end. I expected a lot of high rolling snipers for the packs but they never showed up.

Ok so what I really want to know is if you guys were sitting on these two packs of cards what would you do with them? The high-roller in me says open them up and see what you got and the smarter, more economical side of me says I should try to sell them for some profit. Thoughts???

I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I won two of the packs. I have been kicking myself in the hiney since though because I bid on almost all of the packs and because I bid so low I only got the two.

The starting bid on these packs was very low...I think only $75. for each auction. Those that question why he sold him so low need to think about though. They only sell for what people bid if it is an actual auction. I doubt very highly the seller thought this was all he would get. I didn't bid on the first auction because I figured it would go for triple what it actually did. Like several bidders after the first pack or two went so low I started bidding thinking that earlier I'd never be able to afford any. This was especially after I saw the Mattingly single go from $380. with 15 minutes to go in the auction to almost $1300. at the end. I expected a lot of high rolling snipers for the packs but they never showed up.

Ok so what I really want to know is if you guys were sitting on these two packs of cards what would you do with them? The high-roller in me says open them up and see what you got and the smarter, more economical side of me says I should try to sell them for some profit. Thoughts??? >>

Easy, open one and go from there.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options

<< <i>I won two of the packs. I have been kicking myself in the hiney since though because I bid on almost all of the packs and because I bid so low I only got the two.

Ok so what I really want to know is if you guys were sitting on these two packs of cards what would you do with them? The high-roller in me says open them up and see what you got and the smarter, more economical side of me says I should try to sell them for some profit. Thoughts??? >>

I agree with the above poster, rip one and then decide on the other. I was trying to win 2 of the packs to do the same, but didn't bid hard enough
  • Options
    The problem I had with the packs is outside this auction, where they are offered with a hoard of other Aqueous cards, they likely can't be authenticated on their own. They just look like expensive 1990 Donruss packs and probably no one would believe they were anything but that down the road. So to me, that means rip them. Although if they could be authenticated, I would keep them sealed because they are so unique.

Kevin
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be awesome to see one of them slabbed at least as authentic? Good luck with that though. It was an uphill battle to get the Aqueous cards graded and I would imagine it would take a Herculean effort to get packs as rare as these graded. You might get them authenticated though. To me, if they are kept sealed, that would be worth something because I think their authenticity will always be in question due to the rarity and lack of information about their distribution.

Kevin
  • Options
    to digicat... good point on the puzzle pieces.. i missed that 3 "pieces" are on a single card.... i really was expecting 3 puzzle "cards".... of course, that doesn't explain the 15 aqueous cards vs. 10 on the wrapper which is the bigger issue...

to ryan admirer... if you open the packs, then you run the risk of de-valuing your $200-plus per pack investment... unless, of course, you pull a mattingly or a puckett or something similar... even the 2 most recent ripken sales that i'm aware of only netted around $350... and, if you pull another cal, people might begin to wonder how many of these things really exist.... if we assume that what we've read is true, the next ripken is number 9 (at minimum---probably about 4 more than folks had banked on)...

on the bright side, if the photos were accurate, it looks like you have 15 chances per pack to hit it big... and you only need one "winner" per pack....

you might need to sit on these packs for a few years... you probably need to recover over $200 per pack to just break even... in other words, you need to have the snipers that never materialized last weekend show up for your auctions.... what are those odds?

worse still, what if the seller of your packs suddenly unveils 8 more for sale with a $75 opening bid or any bid that undercuts your opener? he may be tapped out of aqueous product, but do we really know that?

sorry to rain on the parade... but, i was wondering how long your seller sat on those packs before he opened enough to find that list of stars he sold, and also feel comfortable enough to sell the remaining unopened packs for more than what he paid for them a few years ago.... that $75 opening bid might have been his per pack "break even"... your "break even" point is much higher...

whatever you do... good luck...

• Options

<< <i>After looking at those, I started perusing all of the other boxes and discovered that the boxes of 1990 Donruss cellos I had purchased all had the "Aqueous Test" overprint on the backs of the cards inside (see some of my other ads). >>

The packs sold were wax packs. So they were packed in both cello and wax packs?
  • Options
    Well, now we know to check all 1990 Donruss wax for "10 card" wrappers. They didn't distribute 10-card packs as far as I know.

• Options
    Thanks for the opinions guys. There were many good points brought to light. I'm going to think about it for a few more days but I really like the thought of opening one and then going from there. Perhaps I'll videotape the whole thing and then post it somewhere for the enjoyment of others. As of right now they are still sitting in what they were shipped in.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the opinions guys. There were many good points brought to light. I'm going to think about it for a few more days but I really like the thought of opening one and then going from there. Perhaps I'll videotape the whole thing and then post it somewhere for the enjoyment of others. As of right now they are still sitting in what they were shipped in. >>

If you decide to rip, definitely post the results!! Would love to see them!
  • Options

<< <i>Well, now we know to check all 1990 Donruss wax for "10 card" wrappers. They didn't distribute 10-card packs as far as I know. >>

Hmm well there's a very good point... normal pack:

• Options
    So since the wrapping is different do you guys think psa would authenticate the packs?
  • Options

<< <i>So since the wrapping is different do you guys think psa would authenticate the packs? >>

It's hard to say, seems like they change what they'll authenticate on any given day. I did notice on a couple of the packs that you could see the backs of a couple of cards, so if they can see the Aqueous Test imprint, coupled with how the packs say 10 cards, they may authenticate. Would be very cool to see them in PSA holders. Would also be cool to see a nice high grade Ripken though image
  • Options
    Here's a 1989 Donruss Canadian wax box with 10 cards per pack. I wonder if there is a 1990 Donruss Canadian that used those wrappers?
    1989 Donruss Canadian Wax Box

With a little checking, it appears I was right:
    1990 Donruss Canadian Wax Pack

I think the odds of getting those authenticated as Aqueous are slim and none.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a 1989 Donruss Canadian wax box with 10 cards per pack. I wonder if there is a 1990 Donruss Canadian that used those wrappers?
    1989 Donruss Canadian Wax Box

With a little checking, it appears I was right:
    1990 Donruss Canadian Wax Pack

I think the odds of getting those authenticated as Aqueous are slim and none. >>

This is interesting and possibly related to the "Chandy email" where he states that the box had a memo that mentioned Canada.

• Options
    Ok so evidently my g/f wanted me to open these packs more than I did. She bugged the crap out of me until I opened one. The good news- I did get a Ripken and it's in beautiful shape. The bad news- it's a Billy Ripken and not Cal. Pack #1 was a bit of a dud with Tony Gwynn being the best card pulled. More good news is that there's only 2 cards I pulled that I would say don't look "perfect". One had an edge that looked slightly "touched" and one a corner that was barely less than perfect. More bad news is the one that had a corner barely less than perfect was the Gwynn. Oh well, now to think about opening or selling the other pack.

• Options

<< <i>Wouldn't it be awesome to see one of them slabbed at least as authentic? Good luck with that though. It was an uphill battle to get the Aqueous cards graded and I would imagine it would take a Herculean effort to get packs as rare as these graded. You might get them authenticated though. To me, if they are kept sealed, that would be worth something because I think their authenticity will always be in question due to the rarity and lack of information about their distribution.

Kevin >>

When PSA starts to authenticate 1991 Topps Desert Shield Packs, you'll see these begin to be.
  • Options

Here's link to a pic of the Gwynn from the 1st pack. I haven't been on here long enough to figure out to post images differently (give me a little time, I'm not a complete idiot).

Also in pack #1-
    #163 Joe Magrane
    #164 Billy Ripken
    #91 Tony Phillips
    #86 Gwynn (pic)
    Diamond King Dave Stewart (6)
    #118 Glenn Davis
    #157 Rick Sutcliffe
    BC-5 Hershiser
    #67 Walt Weiss
    #72 Dave LaPoint
    #85 Kevin Seitzer
    #76 Ricky Jordan
    #80 Danny Jackson
    #113 Kelly Gruber
    #110 Lee Smith

Oh and by the way yes you could see something through the bottom of the pack....but it was the puzzle piece. I made a videoclip of opening the box and the pack, if anybody wants to watch it let me know. I don't have it posted yet but will put the link up if anybody wants to see it.

• Options
    I never knew these were issued in packs, very interesting.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It might have been said already, but to clarify, the singles didn't come from a single pack; I believe he said he opened 8 packs and was selling 8 packs.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anybody gets a Pedro Guerrero MVP card or an Ozzie Smith, please let me know. Those are the 2 I need to complete my team set.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>image

Here's link to a pic of the Gwynn from the 1st pack. I haven't been on here long enough to figure out to post images differently (give me a little time, I'm not a complete idiot).

Also in pack #1-
    #163 Joe Magrane
    #164 Billy Ripken
    #91 Tony Phillips
    #86 Gwynn (pic)
    Diamond King Dave Stewart (6)
    #118 Glenn Davis
    #157 Rick Sutcliffe
    BC-5 Hershiser
    #67 Walt Weiss
    #72 Dave LaPoint
    #85 Kevin Seitzer
    #76 Ricky Jordan
    #80 Danny Jackson
    #113 Kelly Gruber
    #110 Lee Smith

Oh and by the way yes you could see something through the bottom of the pack....but it was the puzzle piece. I made a videoclip of opening the box and the pack, if anybody wants to watch it let me know. I don't have it posted yet but will put the link up if anybody wants to see it. >>

Any interest in selling the Billy Ripken?
  • Options
    miked211miked211 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I won pack #1 and hit a mega pack. Here is my 15 card pack.
    #166 Nolan Ryan
    #190 Don Mattingly
    #184 Roger Clemens
    #168 Dale Murphy
    #281 Ken Dayley
    #265 David Cone
    #258 Don Robinson
    #196 Eric Plunk
    #172 Jose Lind
    #167 Damon Berryhill
    #282 Mike Devereaux
    #278 Von Hayes
    #259 Phil Bradley
    #191 Felix Fermin
    #252 Rafael Belliard

They are real. I have another card for this seller and cards from Chandy that I checked them against. I am not sure why he did not bust them himself.
    I was very excited about the Murph but would have been more excited if I had not already bought the other Murphy he had for sale a few months ago.
    The others I am open to offers. I will most likely list a few to get some money back that I spent on the other Murphy.
    Good luck to others that won packs, I think this was the most nervous I have been opening a pack ever and I have busted thousands.
    Michael
  • Options

<< <i>I won pack #1 and hit a mega pack. Here is my 15 card pack.
    #166 Nolan Ryan
    #190 Don Mattingly
    #184 Roger Clemens
    #168 Dale Murphy
    #281 Ken Dayley
    #265 David Cone
    #258 Don Robinson
    #196 Eric Plunk
    #172 Jose Lind
    #167 Damon Berryhill
    #282 Mike Devereaux
    #278 Von Hayes
    #259 Phil Bradley
    #191 Felix Fermin
    #252 Rafael Belliard

They are real. I have another card for this seller and cards from Chandy that I checked them against. I am not sure why he did not bust them himself.
    I was very excited about the Murph but would have been more excited if I had not already bought the other Murphy he had for sale a few months ago.
    The others I am open to offers. I will most likely list a few to get some money back that I spent on the other Murphy.
    Good luck to others that won packs, I think this was the most nervous I have been opening a pack ever and I have busted thousands.
    Michael >>

Wow... nice $3,000 pack! That's the first one I was bidding on, guess I should have gone higher. Let's see some scans!

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pack miked211. Looks like my skepticism was unwarranted. Congrats to those that picked them up.

Robb
  • Options
    Congrats on that first pack...your cards more than made up for mine. I couldn't help myself and opened the second one last night, I'm pretty sure I pulled 14 commons with Eric Davis being the only high dollar card. Looking at selling prices I'd say I broke even but that's about it.

I may be interested in selling the B. Ripken...not sure what I'll do with these.

Most should grade pretty high if I send them in. I haven't seen a sale on any of these that are PSA since I've been out of collecting for a long time up until very recently. I've seen commons going anywhere from $5-15. depending on who's buying when they aren't graded. Is the markup for a graded one (say an "8") worth sending in? I figure somebody's had to sell some graded ones before.
  • Options
    Wow, Jackpot with the Ryan, Murphy, Clemens, and Mattingly. Send those out for PSA grading right away and then let them fly on ebay.....maybe 3 grand? Yours will be a more attractive sale with the cards slabbed by PSA.
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats on that first pack...your cards more than made up for mine. I couldn't help myself and opened the second one last night, I'm pretty sure I pulled 14 commons with Eric Davis being the only high dollar card. Looking at selling prices I'd say I broke even but that's about it.

I may be interested in selling the B. Ripken...not sure what I'll do with these.

Most should grade pretty high if I send them in. I haven't seen a sale on any of these that are PSA since I've been out of collecting for a long time up until very recently. I've seen commons going anywhere from $5-15. depending on who's buying when they aren't graded. Is the markup for a graded one (say an "8") worth sending in? I figure somebody's had to sell some graded ones before. >>

I know it's probably a little disappointing, but at least you got the thrill of ripping a pack not too many people will get the chance to!