Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone still collect these??

Millennium Set Note #0000001 Signed by Randy L’ HeDow Teton ( Model for Sacagawea ). LINK
"Donate your money to Enron and Worldcom....the largest non-profit companies in world history...Or just buy some nice coins for your portfolio" - Dixfer

"Always tell the truth; then you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

Comments

• I have 2 sets.
  • Does anyone still collect them. I'd say so. The bids up to $449 right now with 5 days to go.

Ray
  • Judging from the "action" you are receiving on your auction, I'd say there are a few collectors out there. image

Any guesses on how high it will go?

I'd be curious to know how you came upon the set if you don't mind sharing.

RonMan
  • Hi Everyone. When I originally bought that set, I spent a long time looking for it. When it turned up, I found it on Ebay. The seller never had it featured and he was new to Ebay with a zero rating, so I thought I would watch his auction like a Hawk and nab it cheap. It turned out that a few dozen people had the same idea and in the last 10 mins it went over $1,000 then turned into an all-out bidding war. I got lucky and won that war. A year later, I met with a few dealer friends at a show and told them I had that set. As it turned out, two of them were competing bidders and we sat there practically rolling on the floor recounting that auction and how frantic the end was.

This set was actually the very first Numismatic Item that Randy'L ever signed. Back then, the only popularity she gained was from her friends and family.....the numismatic community didn't care one way or the other at the time. Randy'L thought my request for her signature on that set was unique and more of a novelty....she actually chuckled. That was way before she got an agent and before ICG jumped on the bandwagon with the signature series. I never asked Glenna to sign the set because I knew what her answer would be. (She only agreed to sign her own Presentation Dollars, then people inundated her with requests to sign the 2000-D Burnished pieces so she quit signing altogether.) I think if someone loaned this set to the ANA Museum or the Smithsonian, she would sign it.

I really messed up listing that set the way I did. I meant to do the Featured Plus, and accidentally put it in the Gallery. The featured plus category allows it to be on top of every page in it's category, but the gallery listing is almost hidden and not many people use it. I wasted $40 right there plus the opportunity to have it profiled. Ebay said I could change it by closing the auction right away and relisting it with an explanation to the current bidders. I decided against doing that. I have quite a few customers watching that auction now, and I really don't want to close or mess with that listing.

When I think of all the rare stuff that sold on Ebay this year so far, dollar for dollar, I know that this set is worth more than many of the rare certified items. I sold a 2000-D Burnished Sac PCGS MS68 18 months ago for $3,300 on Ebay to a dealer. At the time it was a population 3 coin. Now there are 8 of them in that grade. That is the problem with low pop modern certified coins.

I had this set with Bowers & Merena once before. It was listed on the same page as two consecutively numbered, dual signed Presentation Dollars ( Signed by Glenna and Randy'L) but listed as a separate item. It's a long story but a vault secretary at Bowers and Merena scrubbed the signatures off of the two presentation dollars thinking it was dealer stock-in writing. Those coins were subsequently pulled from the auction as a result. Bowers paid me $6,500 for them after they spent 4 months begging Randy and Glenna to re-sign new holders........they were turned down by both. During that catastrophe, I withdrew the #1 Millennium Set from the sale. (Since I directed many dealers and collectors to watch that sale......I didn't want to list the Millennium set without the Signed Presentation Dollars.) That particular sale was bungled due to the withdrawal of the ruined coins.

I really have no idea where that Millennium set will end up. I don't think the winning bidder will ever get hurt with it though.

"Donate your money to Enron and Worldcom....the largest non-profit companies in world history...Or just buy some nice coins for your portfolio" - Dixfer

"Always tell the truth; then you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain
  • Great story dixfer...thanks for sharing it...enjoyed reading it. Hope you make out like a "bandit" on it.

Thought it deserved a "bump". image

RonMan
  • Great Story!I bet you were freakin when you first heard about the cleaning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file