Home Stamps Forum

The Collectors Went To Postal Histoy

Oops
Richard Frajola
www.rfrajola.com

Comments

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say stamp collecting is a hobby very much alive, but for whatever reasons, those interested in it definitely don't tend to congregate here. From some other boards I've seen devoted to the subject, I tend to think the participants are wound very tightly -- perhaps too much so. Not too many people get all up in arms over displaying their prized collections so that they might win a little ribbon. image
  • Geez
    Haven't been here in a while but this forum is almost dead! Too bad, there aren't many places for stamp collectors to congregate these days!
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Is there a good web site that has forums like this? I started stamp collecting when I was about 8 years old and changed to baseball cards when I was about 17 years old and am now considering going back to collecting stamps. I am now in my early 50's.

The thing is that I would want to sell off most of my collection and concentrate on early US stamps and Lithuania. Most of what I have is probably not valuable but who knows? I guess I should try to catalog some of my stamps and figure out the perforations and watermarks, etc. and try to sell on ebay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey milbroco, you might try stampcommunity.org, and stampboards.com (the last is an Australian board mostly, it's run from there and that's most of the membership, though they claim a worldwide audience.) They're the ones whose shorts seem a bit bunched, compared to the previous, who are a little more chill and approachable.

I'd say your best bet is to study your stamps for any hidden treasures (varieties) and, if you wish to sell, break them up into small lots on ebay. Then enjoy, and tread slowly! Nothing wrong with sticking with certified (PSE or PF) examples for early US, esp. if spending over $100. I wouldn't be able to advise on Lithuania, unfortunately. Have fun, and don't be in a hurry to spend! Rare stamps, like with any field but even moreso it appears to me, take a fair bit of experience to become comfortable with the market, demand and pricing.

PM me if you like! image
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭

it seems alive in some places for sure!

I still buy and keep stamps and some postal history