Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Queen's Jubilee 5 ounce silver coin came today

Just received the 5 ounce silver Jubilee coin.

The coin was photographed while still in the capsule.

From the Royal Mint webiste:
1952 was the year that HM Queen Elizabeth acceded to the throne, which is why this outstanding Silver Proof coin has been created in a limited edition of 1,952. Struck in the highest grade .999 fine silver, it displays all the magnificent craftsmanship for which The Royal Mint is world famous, making this one of the finest mementoes of the Diamond Jubilee Year.

Both sides of the coin feature new designs created especially for the Diamond Jubilee by Ian-Rank Broadley FRBS. The reverse shows The Queen on a classical throne, with a Latin inscription which translates as ‘I reign beloved’.

It is an image rich in symbolism as the design was inspired by the Great Seal of Queen Elizabeth II as well as the Great Seal of Queen Victoria. Not only does this hark back to the 1,000 year old tradition of great seals, it also links Queen Elizabeth with the only other British monarch to have celebrated a Diamond Jubilee, her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria.

The obverse features a relief of Her Majesty wearing robes of the Order of The Garter and a tiara given to her by Queen Mary. The coin is presented in a faux leather case, and comes with a Certificate of Authenticity and a specially commissioned Diamond Jubilee book.

Grand in size the five-ounce Silver Coin is a wonderful way to remember this once-in-a-lifetime historical event and a superb heirloom to pass down to generations to come.

Outer Box:

Inner Box:

Opened Inner Box:

883 out of 1952:

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I'm not necessarily a fan of the design but the packaging is impressive. Love the blue colors.

Dennis
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not necessarily a fan of the design but the packaging is impressive. Love the blue colors. >>

... and sadly it's often discarded after slabbing ... I've also seen people sell the empty packaging on eBay (as I'm sure many of you have) to try and recoup slabbing costs.

I hold on to mine. Not sure why. They are really defunct for lack of a better word, once the coin is slabbed.

What do you guys do with your packaging? Discard?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be neat if PCGS or NGC noted the serial number of the coin on the holder (0883/1,952). I would keep the packaging even after getting it slabbed. If you ever plan on selling it down the road, it should add value.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh. I'm not generally a fan of this type of item, packaging notwithstanding. But I actually like this design. Thumbs up.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame