Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

In their prime: Gibson or Koufax

This should be a fun one.

Comments

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    I vote Koufax. Most dominating left-hander of all time. There are others with more wins, Ks, etc. but
    Koufax was by far the best power lefty ever.

Dave
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Koufax
    But if I needed only one game, Gibson
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Is this a joke?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Jack Morris.
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Gibby all day long. With his arms and legs flying and ending half way to the plate when he landed, had to be incredibly intimidating for any batter with that 90+ mph FB coming in. But Koufax probably gets the nod with all those NH's and one hitters. He basically had a 5 year run where he was the best hands down in either league. But he was gone at 31.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Koufax by a landslide. Koufax in his prime may have been the best ever.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Koufax by a landslide. Koufax in his prime may have been the best ever. >>

+1

Dave
  • Options
    in prime for 1 season: koufax

in prime for 1 game : gibson
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Interesting question, How many times did they hook up head to head and what was the results. Being a Dodger fan Id go Koufax.
  • Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭
    I love Koufax. Plus how well he pitched with a horrible elbow is even more amazing.
  • Options
    Gibson, Koufax, Marichal

I'd say Koufax, but there also is Marichal...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    in prime for 1 season: koufax

in prime for 1 game : koufax

in post season koufax pitched in 8 games 0.95 ERA - gibson 9 games 1.89 ERA
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I'll admit a limited internet search but it seems as though head to head in their careers Koufax was 4-1 in games both started against each other.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    as a hitter Gibson image

as a pitcher........not close..... Koufax

seasons w/ sub 1 WHIP
    Gibson 1 time in 17 years
    Koufax 4 in a row, then retired

win % .591 to .655 (Koufax was 36-40 after 1st 6 years, yet had a .655 career win %)

But Id take Pedro in his prime, 1999-2002 facing DH's (6 career sub 1 WHIPs, .687 win %) over both of these guy who got an easy out every 9 batters
  • Options

<< <i>Koufax
    But if I needed only one game, Gibson >>

Both had the opportunity for that one game in a world series 7th game with only 2 days rest Koufax in 1965 against the Twins and Gibson in 1968 against the tigers,
    Koufax shut-down the twins, and Gibson couldn't handle the Tigers,
    so history says for one game with no rest KOUFAX WINS Gibson LOST
    i actually saw both games live!!
  • Options
    Gibson had the best single season in history, 1968

Once Koufax gave up relieving he had the best five to six year run in history

Starting 50% more games is why Gibson had a better career and was the best pitcher of the generation

Hard to believe many people see things differently than that (unless they think Pedro Martinez or someone else had the best single season, which would be reasonable)
  • Options
    David Cone
  • Options

<< <i>Both had the opportunity for that one game in a world series 7th game with only 2 days rest Koufax in 1965 against the Twins and Gibson in 1968 against the tigers,
    Koufax shut-down the twins, and Gibson couldn't handle the Tigers,
    so history says for one game with no rest KOUFAX WINS Gibson LOST
    i actually saw both games live!! >>

Well then, who is better, Bob Gibson or Mel Stottlemyre? Stuff that happened before 1965 also counts, right?
  • Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    I vote Gibson, Koufax had a prime? Sandy was good for too short of a time for me to even consider.

Besides Gibson did have a Career.

Dave
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭✭
    Gibson in 1968 was awesome.......Someone could show the freakish Koufax stats home vs away. I believe if I remember correctly...Koufax was unhittable in Dodgers stadium and just like league average on the road.============Stat guys "Help me out".

Mickey71image
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Gibson in 1968 was awesome.......Someone could show the freakish Koufax stats home vs away. I believe if I remember correctly...Koufax was unhittable in Dodgers stadium and just like league average on the road.============Stat guys "Help me out".

Mickey71image >>

Koufax for his career:

Split W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO/9 SO/BB
    Home 79 41 .658 2.48 190 149 23 72 26 3 1158.0 836 366 319 104 374 22 1218 10 6 44 4658 1.045 9.5 3.26
    Away 86 46 .652 3.04 207 165 21 65 14 6 1166.1 918 440 394 100 443 26 1178 8 1 43 4839 1.167 9.1 2.66
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭✭
    Fairly large ERA difference; but he definitely was not league average on the road. It might have been 1 of the 4 great years he had where the stats had huge road-home differences.
  • Options
    In the 60s N.L.
    # 1 Koufax
    # 2 Marichal
    # 3 maybe Gibson or Drysdale or Carlton
  • Options
    I need to qualify my original response..

Koufax on any day except Yom Kippur (on Yom Kippur I'd take Gibson).

Dave
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Koufax by a landslide. Koufax in his prime may have been the best ever. >>

Pedro was better in his prime.
  • Options
    In a fight: Gibson
    To win a game: Koufax
    Eskimo Dictator collects: Base Ball cards, Americana, cuckoo clocks
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pedro was better in his prime. >>

Debatable, but I'm sticking with Koufax. I also think Randy Johnson is waaaaaaaaayyyyyy underrated when it comes to these types of conversations.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    Koufax cause he playerd for the Dodgers
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Koufax. And on-a this there can-a be no a-debate.

Brett