Home Precious Metals
Options

JP Morgan $4.2 billion loss in "synthetic" portfolio - conference call at 5:00PM Eastern

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
I missed part of it, but Jamie Dimon is holding a conference call at 5:00PM Eastern to explain $4.2 billion in legal losses due to "mark to market" in some of their portfolios.

Some impacts will be seen in European markets tonight.

I didn't quite hear the reference, but they have some sort of "synthetic" portfolio - loans or some other type of "asset" that has been marked to market.

hmmmmmm.
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    "egregious errors in their synthetic credit division"

synthetic credit hedges? hmmmmmm.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    It quickly became an $800 million loss, but with potential for further losses, lasting for several more quarters.

CNBC commentary immediately trying to downplay the size of the loss, but bemoaning what this will do to banking stocks now. Stark realization that JPM isn't the only banking stock with potential mark to market writedowns coming...

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what happens from time to time when you're sitting on a powder keg of $75 TRILL in otc derivatives.
    The only time it's synthetic is when it's marked to model. Every once in a while something gets marked to market and shtf.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Ah, now it's a potential $4.2 billion legal loss AND a $1 billion loss in the "synthetic credit" risk management group due to poor execution and poor oversight.

Conference call ended. We shall see what happens to the markets now.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Thats just great now the MF global money has been double vaporized. image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANd what wil happen to metals when they re-open in five minutes?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Ah, now it's a potential $4.2 billion legal loss AND a $1 billion loss in the "synthetic credit" risk management group due to poor execution and poor oversight.

Conference call ended. We shall see what happens to the markets now. >>

How does one even manage $75 TRILLION in contracts? Assuming a nominal $75 MILL per bet, that's 1 MILLION contracts. Who can juggle all that besides a computer?
    The general public is not even aware that JPM has 37,000X the leverage of this single $2 BILL failure. Only 36,999 to go. The solution? Add another lock to the door.
    Didn't their commodity/derivatives chief Blythe Master just state in an interview that they have all these oversized opaque risk pools adequately hedged? image
    Or maybe it was just another simple decimal point error. It happens.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ANd what wil happen to metals when they re-open in five minutes? >>

Down.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

More losses to come it looks like here is another zerohedge link that offers more detail with lots of colorful charts

3 billion more?

Are we seeing the beginning of the end for JP morgan? If their hedge positions are under pressure who is to say Goldman isn't doing the squeezing? We know the big banks eat their own kind.

• Options
    Is Morgan the one holding the huge fake position in negative silver?

If so, what will happen if they have to liquidate that?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Well they claim to have offsetting positions

There is a bald guy over on CNBC saying JPM is off the lows of the day and it looks like a buy.

• Options

<< <i>Is Morgan the one holding the huge fake position in negative silver?

If so, what will happen if they have to liquidate that? >>

We already found out in July 2008 what happens when they doubled their fake - short silver position from 9 yrs of world silver production to 19 yrs .......silver dropped from $20 to $9.
    These days they are keeping it between 4-5 yrs so as not to attract attention. image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is Morgan the one holding the huge fake position in negative silver?

If so, what will happen if they have to liquidate that? >>

We already found out in July 2008 what happens when they doubled their fake - short silver position.......silver dropped from $20 to $9. >>

I wouldn't mind buying some silver at about twelve bucks this weekend image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well they claim to have offsetting positions

There is a bald guy over on CNBC saying JPM is off the lows of the day and it looks like a buy.

image >>

CNBC classis spin. Off the lows of the day was used everyday during the financial meltdown and now it's used everyday to polish a turd whenever need be. BTW it's now off the low of the day by $0.01. So I guess it is actually off the new low of the day. Spinidots. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Derails Dimond's lobbying effort to end Dodd Frank. Regulations are here to stay, though they are probably inadequate.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the $2B loss by JPM is just a preview of the coming collapse of the derivaties market. Look for it to also expedite an end to JPM's control over silver prices.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Do you think the Fed would be fool hearty enough to back up those losses up to $1 Trillion. I think they would, but it probably would not be enough. The FED and JPM are really the same anyway.
  • Options
    I think public sentiment would prevent further direct bailout of the banks. Indirect, hidden bailout is always an option. One method is more indepth insider trading info from their friends at the FED to boost profits.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    So should I take my 401K $$ out of JP Morgan?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

Reggie middleton finally weighs in on this , I was waiting to hear his take I like almost everything I read from him.

zerohedge

Three whole days later ...... image

I'm kidding of course he deserves a weekend off now and then I supposeimage
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So should I take my 401K $$ out of JP Morgan? >>

Or you can wait for the gov't to control it, jmho.
  • Options
    How Wall Street killed finanical reform - Matt Taibbi

In the wake of JPM's $2 BILL "trading" or hedging loss blowup it's ironic that once again politicians are saying we need more financial reform. They had most of it on paper several
    years ago with the first run of Dodd-Frank but have been dismantling it ever since. Even some of those people asking for more reform are the very ones that helped block it.
    The only 2 options are reform or blow up. Pick your poison.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll go boom one way or another RR.
  • Options
    Insured Banks under FDIC protection like JPM should not be gambling in derivatives. If allowed to continue it just shows how corrupt our Congress is.
  • Options
    It is interesting to look up "the Volker Rule" on Wiki. As you read about Dodd-Frank, the first thing you realize is that the banking industry now has another 2,300 pages of crap to "comply" with.

But even more interesting is that the Volker Rule wasn't nearly as strong as Glass-Stegal, but it has been watered down since it was first proposed - and when you read about the Senators who sabotaged it, it's obvious that there was never any intention of restricting the banking industry in the first place.

Volker wanted a 4-page regulation with teeth in it. What we got was 2,300 pages of crap legislation. These politicians are in office for way too long.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Congress is worried about the next election not the Republic or the people they represent. Our country was founded on common sense which has since been replaced by greed and contempt of law.
  • Options

<< <i>It is interesting to look up "the Volker Rule" on Wiki. As you read about Dodd-Frank, the first thing you realize is that the banking industry now has another 2,300 pages of crap to "comply" with.

But even more interesting is that the Volker Rule wasn't nearly as strong as Glass-Stegal, but it has been watered down since it was first proposed - and when you read about the Senators who sabotaged it, it's obvious that there was never any intention of restricting the banking industry in the first place.

Volker wanted a 4-page regulation with teeth in it. What we got was 2,300 pages of crap legislation. These politicians are in office for way too long. >>

We need STRICT TERM LIMITS above all else!!!!!!!
  • Options
    We need STRICT TERM LIMITS above all else!!!!!!!

I heartily agree Captain. But something tells me that even with 4 yr or 2 yr term limits, votes will still be bartered to lobbyists. It will just happen faster as
    elected officials will realize they only have 2 yrs to "get theirs." The changes have to be drastically deeper than just time in office. But that's a start.

Can't we just pass a financial bill that will make it 1992 all over again before Rubin & Co. came to office? All new bills must be 12 words or less to ensure they get read.

A BILL

1. It's 1992 all over again. Cancel any financial legislation newer than that.

end of bill

$2 BILL JPM loss is a just a quick preview of the movie to come

Another view of the risks JPM is taking
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    RR, the question is how do you make money when the derivative bubble pops? (excluding gold and silver)

Derivatives held by banks:

JPMorgan Chase - $70.1 Trillion

Citibank - $52.1 Trillion

Bank of America - $50.1 Trillion

Goldman Sachs - $44.2 Trillion

Wow!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    When the derivative bubble pops, what does it mean?

Use the Lehman crisis as your template, and then put it on steroids.

There will be massive uncertainty in any contracts relating to debt, bonds, financial contracts, and any business deals in progress.

Nobody will know who owes whom, or how much. The risk spreads on any lending instruments will widen considerably or become completely illiquid, i.e., no transfers of money until money gets "redefined".

You can expect a constant barrage of disinformation and malarky from the politicos, while they scramble to find ways to pick your pocket.

The politicos will appear very nervous - remember Hank Paulson explaining the TARP bailouts? He still reminds me of Daddy Warbucks in Little Orphan Annie, or Uncle Duke in Doonsbury.

With that as a starting point, you can write any number of scenarios and very few of them have happy endings, in my opinion. Confidence will drop like a rock as people begin to realize that they are SOL. I can't write a script for it without going totally into fiction.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RR, the question is how do you make money when the derivative bubble pops? (excluding gold and silver)

Answer: being on the right side of that particular trade and then being able to collect from your counterparty....or from the US govt/taxpayers.

When the "tiny" $5-$8 TRILL MBS derivative's market blew up in 2008 it was small enough to pay out the winners. They even had enough to pay out the
    winners in the $62 TRILL Credit Default Swap market. If the entire derivative's market blows up, then it's not likely anyone will win or collect. 80% of those
    derivatives held by the top 6 banks are interest rate swaps which have yet to be touched in the carnage of 2007-2012. This is why the FED is
    running operation TWIST and keeping rates skewed low. The TBTF banks have $250 TRILL at risk in those IR Swaps. For now, they've played with the
    much smaller MBS and CDS swap failures. And so far were able to pay out as approx $35-$40 TRILL notional were unwound. But that's still a drop
    in the bucket out of $304 TRILLION total. And even as those trillions were unwound from 2007-2010, it has all since been added back and then some.
    Note that the unwinding of Lehman's derivative's book netted them 9 cents on the dollar, a far cry from the typical 95 to 99 cents that most risk models assume
    for worst case. The risk models don't include complete failure and the need to unwind all bets in a short period of time. This is why another big bank can't be
    allowed to go bust where the bets have to be immediately unwound and paid off. By absorbing a failed bank the risk gets assumed....sort of like playing high stakes
    poker when the table gets whittled down from 6 players to 2.

At the end of 2007, Lehman had $738 billion of notional derivatives, a far cry from the $30T to $77T that each of TBTF banks carried at that time. As Jmski52 said,
    now put that on steroids by multiplying by 450X. If you want to include foreign banks as well, then multiply Lehman by 1000X. Roid Rage.

Some say just cancel all the bets and start over. No harm, no foul. Thing is, a lot of the banks are carrying these positions as overall "wins" on the books...when they are in
    fact losses if marked to market. Failure to account for those "wins" will result in an actual net loss and still cause huge problems. It would be no different than carrying
    distressed loans and forecloseable RE properties at full original value. As Sinclair says, whatever doesn't get resolved initially between counterparties will be resolved in court
    over the next 10 years. Good time to be a derivative's lawyer.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    A Greek bank run is happening!

Did anyone notice how Wells Fargo is left off the derivatives list?

How much does Well Fargo have in derivatives?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options

<< <i>A Greek bank run is happening!

How much does Well Fargo have in derivatives? >>

Some guest on Bloomberg said Wells Fargo had 30 billion.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Nice post RR.
  • Options

<< <i>A Greek bank run is happening!

How much does Well Fargo have in derivatives? >>

WFC carries $3.3 TRILL in otc derivatives, placing them in the top 7.
    Just ahead of them is HSBC with $4.3 TRILL. But both pale next to the big boyz.
    To see why the interest rate curve is where it's at look at the total interest rate contracts held by the top 5.

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

Derivative's reports are put out quarterly and are fairly easy to read. Toward the end of the charts (pg 28) is where you'll find a detailed breakdown of deriv's by each of the
    top 25 banks. Met Life is on the list with $290 BILL.

JPM names new Chief Investment Officer

It's sort of ironic that JPM's new CIO got his start at Long Term Capital Management in 1994 handling Mortgage Backed Securities (derivs). The firm imploded in 1998 during the
    Asian currency crisis due to failed currency bets (ie failed derivs). LTCM may have been the birthplace of the current genre of derivative's risk modeling.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice post RR. >>

Agreed, what would be a good cliff notes / condensed article, link, book, etc... to try and understand the whole scenario better?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Derivatives: The $600 Trillion Time Bomb That's Set to Explode

Derivatives defined

Good examples of commonly traded derivatives are the silver ETFs AGQ and it's opposite bet, ZSL.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Derivatives: The $600 Trillion Time Bomb That's Set to Explode

Derivatives defined

Good examples of commonly traded derivatives are the silver ETFs AGQ and it's opposite bet, ZSL. >>

I read the first link and it was downright scary and a little confusing. Thanks for the links.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>Derivatives: The $600 Trillion Time Bomb That's Set to Explode

Derivatives defined

Good examples of commonly traded derivatives are the silver ETFs AGQ and it's opposite bet, ZSL. >>

The first link says there are only 4 banks carrying the bulk of the derivatives. But they're leaving out Morgan Stanley which isn't a commerical bank. They have
    over $50 TRILL in derivs and make up part of the big 5 (JPM, BoA, Citi, GS, MS). Interesting that BoA has been gaining on JPM and in the near future could take
    over the #1 spot as derivative's king ($70 TRILL vs. 68 TRILL). Since that article was penned the currently published number is just over $700 TRILL. While JPM
    has actually reduced its overall exposure over the past 4 years, the other 4 have been piling it on like gang busters, especially MS and BoA. While JPM is trying to
    shun the spotlight others in the wings are picking up any slack. Lots of team spirit there!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there going to get investigated. will see where that one goes image
  • Options
    WSJ "Inside J.P. Morgan's Blunder"

When the "hedge" trade went bad

But losses—roughly $100 million or more a day—soon began showing up on the CIO books
  • Options
    Saying $5 Billion now.
  • Options

<< <i>Saying $5 Billion now. >>

Yes, and hints of maybe $15 BILL or more. Author suggests Dimon came forward to cover their butts in the event this event got much worse.
    Current rumors among traders suggest $6-$7 BILL as of today, with JPM not unwinding any of the position yet.

$2 BILL to $70 TRILL......pick a number.....any number.

"Financial institutions such as JPMorgan love to buy derivatives because they are opaque, create fictional income that leads to real bonuses and when (not if) they suffer losses so large that they would cause the bank to fail, they will be bailed out."

William K Black
    Bank auditor during the 1980's S&L crisis
  • Options

As the loss numbers get higher a notch at a time this really seems like a great stock, To short I mean image

zerohedge is digging into the stress test results and speculating that it would take a 31.5 billion loss to force them to stop the share buybacks which coincidentally was announced the other day.

zerohedge

Every few days the number gets higher so jump in any time,

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As the loss numbers get higher a notch at a time this really seems like a great stock, To short I mean image

zerohedge is digging into the stress test results and speculating that it would take a 31.5 billion loss to force them to stop the share buybacks which coincidentally was announced the other day.

zerohedge

Every few days the number gets higher so jump in any time, >>

The stock has been beaten down, the news is lousy and the sentiment is to pound Dimon and JPM......but the bank is still one of the strongest large banks around...Sure, it could continue to drop in the short term, but the time to go aggressive on a short has passed, imo. In the longer view I'd take the other side all day long.

As usual time will tell.
  • Options
    TBTF = HOAX!imageimage I get HBP up everytime I read about these crooks!

When will it ENDimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Jim Willie on JPMorgan's mess headed to $31.5 BILL....then to $100's of BILLIONs....Interest Rate Swaps at fault

Some very interesting info in this article that helps to tie a lot of things together. Of note are the major bond rallys of the last couple of years that JW suggests were
    caused by a major increase in otc IR Swaps. More importantly, he says that JPMorgan's recent $2 BILL blunder is headed to $31.5 BILL and eventually to hundreds of BILL.
    What's behind them is a failure of only a tiny portion of their $57 TRILL IRSwap portfolio This is the first major sighting of the 800 lb. gorilla since it was locked in the closet
    a couple of years ago. World-wide there are $900 TRILL in IRSwaps available for high octane fuel. The rapid whipsaws in the TBond chart over the past few years were probably
    all based on IR Swap activity. This article is very worthwhile reading. As Red Foxx used to say, "This is the Big One....you hear that Elizabeth?" . This is the first major
    crack in the IR Swap structure that has been made known to the general public. CDS and MBS failures were an appetizer. This is the really big one no one wants to discuss.

On a related front, the SEC concluded their 3 yr investigation of Lehman's failure to see if their was any fraud or wrong-doing. They are recommending no legal action be taken
    against them. Yup, Lehman was doing it right all along. Nothing to see here, everyone move along. That's 3 yrs of taxpayer money down the drain. No wonder the SEC has
    not been available to police other markets for 3 yrs. image
  • Options
    Jim Willie makes sense to me. I think we're heading into the next phase, whatever it is. Maybe a Reichstag moment.

I knew it would happen.