Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1991 and 1992 Pro Line Football Autographs question

I'm typically in the market for Hall of Famers from these sets but have a question in regards to counterfeits. As you know, the Autographed insert cards are simply base versions with a "Authentic" crimp in the corner. I recall a story of someone forging the autographs and crimping the corners with a fake seal. Is anyone aware of this story and can elaborate on what to look out for? I defintely do my research of the players signature when it comes to these cards as well as any by Classic or Score Board. I'd just like others opinion.

Comments

• Options
    Rocketman12Rocketman12 Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Just so you know, the certified autos also differ from the base cards in that the autos are missing the card numbers on the back.
  • Options
    ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    Wow, I had no idea. It's been over twenty years. Does that apply too both years? I'm mainly looking at the 1992 series with every star having a ten card subset. I learn something new every day. Thanks

Edited to add: I just checked out eBay. Works out great for me on the 1991's. I've always wanted the key card in that set. Thanks again!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I thought 1991 Pro Line had 1 auto per box but a friend who was a much bigger football collector that they did not. I think I did ok with mine because there are a lot of undesirable autos...I got Sam Wyche and pretty pleased with that. Im quite sure the 1992s have an auto per box though.

I never was hardcore into collecting them so I dont know anything about forged ones.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    The autographs were closer to 1 every 2 boxes of 1991 Pro Line.

The card backs on both series, and ALL Pro Line auto cards like that, were there is an auto and a like base, the auto version has no number. This includes the Pro File and Wives sets also.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Also, perhaps of note, the 1991 Pro Line Portraits has a grey border logo on it. You can find all the cards with various amounts of grey ink, including ones with none so the border is white. I have kept a very grey and a very white version of the Steve Young card in my PC collection, but don't consider the mid level grey border cards variations.

My point in noting this variation is if you open boxes, which can be found around $10-15, you can often ebay your money back with the bigger name HOF base cards from the set if you get a few of the white and non-white. I have been able to the last 4-5 boxes I have purchased.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
  • Options
    Strange for me to post again since I don't think I have posted this much the last two months...but someone did bring up 1990s football cards...image

The 1991 set is a future sleeper set. It includes the first autographed insert of many HOF'ers, including...

Note, no number on the back.
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    Are the 1992 Proline Profiles the same card signed and not signed? These are the one numbered "1 of 9" "2 of 9" etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Are the 1992 Proline Profiles the same card signed and not signed? These are the one numbered "1 of 9" "2 of 9" etc. >>

Yes, they are the same. The auto has no number.

The only exception might be, and a guide will tell you, is Pro Line issued several promo cards. Like the Steve Young Pro Files cards "1 of 9", etc all, were inserted into a Super Bowl program individually, and these cards do not have a normal base card number (like 242), other then the 1 of 9, et al. (They were not released signed however). I know they did release other promos and/or convention cards also, and I would guess these are like the Young. The Youngs however have a blank black box instead of the numbered box, and the autos of cards have no box, so this might be the trend of promos, I don't have any.

A Glanville auto 1992 Pro Files card.

• Options
    Another interesting card in the 1991 set, the Herman Moore RC Auto. First cool player auto insert RC (that is not a college card).

• Options
    Clearly, I am bored tonight......more Pro Line auto scans.

A Pearson, that was sticker certified by JSA.

A worthless common certified by PSA. How to waste $15 #3256.

A pretty common problem with cards to this set. The first set of its kind, players were just confused where to sign the cards. Some signed the front, but most signed the back, and on the Pro Files set....some signed the front of some, and the backs of others. Several players tried to fit their signature into the white area....some with less success then others.

• Options
    A few more scans....

(I have a few Taylors and could trade 1 or 2.)

And I guess a 1993, to show that is when they changed, and because Neil Smith was a monster. (Interesting choice for a photo Pro Line, groin block on Smith).

imageimage
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I so desperately need the Toby Caston auto from this set...
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.