Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PWCC Frank Thomas NNOF - Should be an interesting ending

I love watching these high visibility auctions finish. I'm in, but I know I'll get blown away at the end.

1990 Topps Thomas PSA 8 NNOF

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting. I love seeing the action on these big cards too!

• Options
    great card !!
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    I just checked the PSA 10 and it is at $4,833 without the buyers premium. That card is off to a fast start and pacing like it will go much higher.

• Options
    On 2nd thought, I'm not going to waste the energy of clicking the mouse since I'll get blown away at the end.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I have always loved this card, even as someone who sticks to 50s-70s mostly. I think it is so tremendously underrated, and am thrilled to see it getting its due.

Thomas is a sureshot HOFer with an unassailable reputation. The card is genuinely rare, with only 143 I believe graded by PSA, maybe like 170-ish total including BGS.

I was wondering if the prior PSA 8 auction to this one, with a hammer of $1850, was some anomalous spike due to pent up demand (an 8 hadn't been offered for over a year I believe), but I see the jump is the real deal. Congrats to the imminent owner of this latest example, it doesn't come up for sale that often.

Just got mine in the mail today, and have been staring it at while procrastinating all day!
  • Options
    There is a SGC NM-MT and a BGS 8.5 up on EBay
  • Options
    I like the SGC one. Looks great in that holder. I think the $1850 auction and now this one may bring some out into the light.
  • Options
    miconelegacymiconelegacy Posts: 3,052
    I bought the last 8, and am looking at another.

Agree underrated. Good long term investment IMO.

Got this one too. Just saying they needed a home at the bank. image
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Here's my new baby. Love this card.

• Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭

<< <i>I bought the last 8, and am looking at another.

Agree underrated. Good long term investment IMO.

Got this one too. Just saying they needed a home at the bank. image >>

Sorry but there are many other cards I would rather drop $2,100 on. Good luck with your "investment"
  • Options
    I remember back in the day seeing the NNOF in the price guide and going, "WTF is that about?!"

Micon,

Nice haul on the duo.

Wonder if we'll see one of the 9s surface now...
  • Options
    It's called allocation.

The greatest financial portfolio's long term are diversified. I see no reason cards are any different.

Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Mike I think you can't go wrong with this card. When the PSA 10 Gem Mint goes for a completely stupid number in a few weeks it will add more fuel to the fire.

This is a very rare card in any condition and I think if you have to pick a modern baseball card to invest in this one is a great choice.

• Options
    Hey, to each his own. Just cause a guy spends $2100 on this one doesn't mean he can't spend it on others as well. These things are not mutually exclusive, after all. Holding value or appreciating is of course nice, but I just have always had a genuine fondness for this card-- it has a cool mystique, to me.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Matty C, that is a really sweet looking 8. Congrats!
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, to each his own. Just cause a guy spends $2100 on this one doesn't mean he can't spend it on others as well. These things are not mutually exclusive, after all. Holding value or appreciating is of course nice, but I just have always had a genuine fondness for this card-- it has a cool mystique, to me. >>

I agree Matty I've bought, sold, and kept lots of cards. I've always wanted one of these, and the 10 well that will be out of my price range. It could very easily bring 20 plus. So a couple weeks ago knowing the 10 was coming to market I jumped on that 8, I had a high bid of 2210 tonight. Different strokes, different folks, that's what makes this hobby.

Nice card Matty, Congrats!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Thanks. And much thanks as well to the fellow collector who was willing to part ways with it.

DPeck,

I could not agree more or say it better. Solid card and perhaps THE standout of its time period for baseball. The PSA 10 is a pretty awesome piece. I don't think Micon will regret his two purchases, ever.
  • Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey, to each his own. Just cause a guy spends $2100 on this one doesn't mean he can't spend it on others as well. These things are not mutually exclusive, after all. Holding value or appreciating is of course nice, but I just have always had a genuine fondness for this card-- it has a cool mystique, to me. >>

Hey that's cool. I always said if I woke up tomorrow and my collection was suddenly worth nothing would it still mean something to me, and would I still want it. The answer is yes. Not so sure that could be said for a lot of other people in the hobby where $$ rules the game. If some people want to invest in 1990 Topps Frank Thomas error cards more power to them. I hope the market stays strong.
  • Options
    Word up, wintersfan. Well said.

Micon, I also think the 10 of this Thomas is a fascinating card to watch.
  • Options
    Congrats on the card !

I have always loved this card and have been on the fence for a while about buying one.

After watching the auction, and seeing the man-card-crush, I am now convinced I must have one of these.
  • Options
    I think there is a very real chance the Thomas PSA 10 goes for $20k plus.

You are going to see some eye popping results in that auction and this is one of the marquee cards. I said it in another thread but the fact that the opening bid was $3,000 tells you they are looking for a big number in my opinion.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Matty and Mike on the NNOF Thomas cards! To each their own.
    For some reason I love the 2006 topps Alex Gordon card. I have four of them.image
  • Options
    Darin I see there is one on EBAY with a current bid of $175. What kind of print run does that card have?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Darin I see there is one on EBAY with a current bid of $175. What kind of print run does that card have? >>

That seller has sold a ton of 2006 Gordon cards over the last couple years. It seems like he puts one up every three or four weeks. I bought one from him several months ago and had it graded and it got PSA 8. Very well centered, nice corners, I actually think it should be a 9 so I'm going to send it back sometime.
    BTW he uses that same scan every time and its an off center card. I guess he's too lazy to put up a new scan every time he sells one.
    PSA has graded 113 of them, I don't know how many raw there are left but that guy seems to have a pretty good hoard. The only thing he told me was he invested in a bunch of them several years ago.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just checked the PSA 10 and it is at $4,833 without the buyers premium. That card is off to a fast start and pacing like it will go much higher. >>

Can someone please post the link?
  • Options
    Frank Thomas NNOF

$5,317 and climbing....
  • Options
    D this card is certainly going to go for over 20K IMO. This card is much more scarce than the Ozzie Smith that we saw bring over 20 earlier this year. Throw in Dmitri's name, great exposure, some juice and it will be there.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    how many 10s are there ?
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    The (1/1) in the auction title seems to suggest there is 1.
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    I would be all over this auction if I thought it was a true PSA 10 but it's not a PSA 8 at best look at the back.

James
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Is Dmitri keeping some of his modern collection? I find it hard to believe he didn't have a better Pujols than the faded Finest curently listed.
  • Options
    I would be all over this auction if I thought it was a true PSA 10 but it's not a PSA 8 at best look at the back.

Wow, that is fugly. Should have received NO 10 FOR YOU
  • Options

<< <i>ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D380588875261%26_rdc%3D1">Frank Thomas NNOF

Mile High Auction

It will be interesting to see if it does better this time. >>

Did you check and make sure a certain person was not planning to bid on this item prior to posting the link?
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D380588875261%26_rdc%3D1">Frank Thomas NNOF

Mile High Auction

It will be interesting to see if it does better this time. >>

Did you check and make sure a certain person was not planning to bid on this item prior to posting the link? >>

It was approved. Appreciate you looking out.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    NNOF Thomas

Wow this card can't seem to find a home. This is the third or fourth time it has been auctioned off on EBAY in the past year or so.
  • Options
    3 NNOF's all ending at the exact same time.

The PSA 8 that Dpeck linked in the previous post, a BGS 8, and an SGC 8.

BGS 8 -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/380759291939

SGC 8 -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/360780438834
  • Options

<< <i>3 NNOF's all ending at the exact same time.

SGC 8 -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/360780438834 >>

One 8 for what ever your third party grader tastes are.
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the BGS 8 card the best.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>3 NNOF's all ending at the exact same time.

SGC 8 -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/360780438834 >>

According to the population report on the SGC website, that SGC 88 does not exist. They only show 1 NNOF Thomas card graded and it was a SGC 92.
  • Options
    I picked up the BGS 8 from Probstein. It was nicer than I expected and I'm hoping to bump it up to an 8.5 with an improved centering subgrade:

[URL=http://s1041.photobucket.com/user/martuzzi/media/ThomasNNOFFront_zps4614ab40.jpg.html]image[/URL]