Home Sports Talk

World Fame 100 -- time to blow Dimeman's mind

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/WorldFame/espn-world-fame-100-2018

i even broke it down just to exacerbate d-man's exasperation. lookie at all of those soccer players :sunglasses:

33 - soccer
13 - basketball
12 - tennis
10 - cricket
8 - golf
7 - american football
6 - boxing
3 - swimming
2 - table tennis
1 - badminton
1 - mma
1 - formula one
1 - skiing
1 - figure skating
1 - snowboarding

my visceral reaction to this list: i love me some Alex Morgan, what is Isaiah Thomas doing on it, i love me some Alex Morgan, i can't believe Rickie Fowler & Michelle Wie are that low, and i love me some Alex Morgan

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Tony Romo at #78 is about right. I love me some Alex Morgan

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a single baseball player, interesting.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woody down to #6.

Heh.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Social following? So popular with 12 year olds basically? , Endorsements? Too many basketball players because of that. Soccer is terrible strike those clowns from the record. Tennis is as rigged as pro wrestling , that doesn't count either.

how many of the women are on there because they pose for pics in swimsuits?

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

good question. not sure.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Social following? So popular with 12 year olds basically? , Endorsements? Too many basketball players because of that. Soccer is terrible strike those clowns from the record. Tennis is as rigged as pro wrestling , that doesn't count either.

Tennis is rigged!! You are kidding right!!

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Did you miss that recent scandal? Players throwing matches, pretty easy to do when its one on one or two on two

What kind of list is that? I've never heard of most of them!!

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Not even counting the highest profile rigged match (Riggs vs King):

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/43894806

@Tabe said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Yes, that one was........but it doesn't count. ;)

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Dafne Schippers? Are they kidding?

@stevek said:

See what you did ? You caused me to google her. She just went up a notch.

@Tabe said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

With some sports, women probably should not be playing it on a professional level. I mean basketball, come on now, even on a professional level it is painful watching women trying to play that sport.

However, not so with tennis. Women can flat out play that sport, and an older Bobby Riggs had no chance whatsoever to beat Billie Jean King, a top professional, in that highly publicized game. That game wasn't rigged, it was just a total mismatch.

They actually play it fundamentally well and the way men’s basketball used to be played. Sound

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:
    They actually play it fundamentally well and the way men’s basketball used to be played. Sound

mark

Come on...they can barely shoot the basketball. The passes could be timed with an hourglass.

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I agree with Mark here. They play very good BB. Of course they could not compete with men. Just as Billie Jean King could not have competed with a top male tennis player.

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I agree with Mark here. They play very good BB. Of course they could not compete with men. Just as Billie Jean King could not have competed with a top male tennis player.

I would never discourage any girl from playing basketball in school. I strongly encourage sports activity for everyone.

But I'm talking about paying for a ticket to watch the WNBA? Forget about it.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I would never discourage any girl from playing basketball in school. I strongly encourage sports activity for everyone.

But I'm talking about paying for a ticket to watch the WNBA? Forget about it.

Most people don’t but it doesn’t make it a poorly played game. It’s actuallly refreshing at times and a basketball coach at any level could teach off a women’s game. ZERO chance at the NBA.

m

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

Likely has PEDS in her Ked's.

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

I have tried to contact Dafne numerous times thru different ways about the possibility of us cohabitating together and producing many children. She has not returned my messages, which I think is rather rude of her, and so I have considered rescinding my offer. Maybe I'll switch to Alex Morgan instead. ;)

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Speaking of Tennis, I've been watching the French open coverage on the tennis channel. They have 24 hr coverage. Nadal is going for his 11th French title.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

However, not so with tennis. Women can flat out play that sport, and an older Bobby Riggs had no chance whatsoever to beat Billie Jean King, a top professional, in that highly publicized game. That game wasn't rigged, it was just a total mismatch.

You do realize that Riggs absolutely destroyed the #1 women's player in the world (Margaret Court) before playing Billie Jean, right? 6-2, 6-1 in a match that wasn't even that close? You're way, way off base when you say he "had no chance".

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

who is Alex Morgan?? and if you guys are gonna post pictures of female athletes you'll need to find some with a little more "substance" than the stick models you have shown thus far.

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

You do realize that Riggs absolutely destroyed the #1 women's player in the world (Margaret Court) before playing Billie Jean, right? 6-2, 6-1 in a match that wasn't even that close? You're way, way off base when you say he "had no chance".

Billie Jean King toyed with Bobby Riggs like a cat plays with a mouse.

Riggs got inside the head of Court and beat her. If Court played him again 10 times, she likely beats him 10 times.

Neither game was rigged, and it's silly to believe that.

I give Riggs credit where credit is due for winning the psychological game which Court could not handle. Lee Trevino used to do that against Jack Nicklaus, and Nicklaus has even admitted that sometimes Trevino got to him.

The smack styles of Riggs and Trevino were different, but the strategy was basically the same...try to psych-out and irritate a superior opponent because just using regular skill to win wasn't good enough.

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

I have tried to contact Dafne numerous times thru different ways about the possibility of us cohabitating together and producing many children. She has not returned my messages, which I think is rather rude of her, and so I have considered rescinding my offer. Maybe I'll switch to Alex Morgan instead. ;)

Explains why she is running so fast...

edited May 31, 2018 6:45AM

I'm just waiting for someone to come in and start calling out all of the sexists and misogynists in this thread o:)

Top 10 caliber who didn't make the list: Jutta Leerdam, Winifer Fernandez, Sabina Altynbekova, Belen Mozo

@keets said:
    who is Alex Morgan?? and if you guys are gonna post pictures of female athletes you'll need to find some with a little more "substance" than the stick models you have shown thus far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vghzxHThk70

@LarkinCollector said:
    Top 10 caliber who didn't make the list: Jutta Leerdam, Winifer Fernandez, Sabina Altynbekova, Belen Mozo

Jutta
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-84z-3q2Q98
    Winifer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmnqc0d-n4
    Sabina
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww8yPvl7q58
    Belen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UdCZKW07Qg

Jutta looks hot but she can't skate. She literally got beat by a tomato plant in that race

@stevek said:

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

Billie Jean King toyed with Bobby Riggs like a cat plays with a mouse.

Riggs got inside the head of Court and beat her. If Court played him again 10 times, she likely beats him 10 times.

Neither game was rigged, and it's silly to believe that.

I give Riggs credit where credit is due for winning the psychological game which Court could not handle. Lee Trevino used to do that against Jack Nicklaus, and Nicklaus has even admitted that sometimes Trevino got to him.

The smack styles of Riggs and Trevino were different, but the strategy was basically the same...try to psych-out and irritate a superior opponent because just using regular skill to win wasn't good enough.

Riggs was way past his prime....he was probably twice as old as BJK. If she would have played a top ranked male at the time...she would have been lucky to get 1 point...much less a game. It would have been 6-0, 6-0 to the male.

@bronco2078 said:
    Jutta looks hot but she can't skate. She literally got beat by a tomato plant in that race

66 podiums (46 wins) in 114 starts ain't bad.