Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

CARDS FROM YOUTH

I'm newly re-entering the card game after years of not paying attention. I began collecting in 1969 at age 12 buying and trading with every spare nickle. Got my biggest shot when my mother was visiting our minister who was cleaning out the room of his two grown boys. She noticed something fall out of the box the rev. was carrying a 61 duke snyder in mint shape. That afternoon she walked in with a 1000 or so1960-64 cards in great shape. that is when I decided totake care of my cards and put them away in library file draws. trading and flipping with my doubles.In 1971 I saw an add for complete sets of Topps cards from an outfit called Hobby Card House out of Ft. Lee NJ. For 13.95 you could purchase the complete set. Constant pleading and begging my mom finally relented and sent away for them. Needless to say 13.95 was a lot of money in 1971, good thing she is a bigger fan than I am. Sent away for complete sets until 1978 when I left home hindsight being 20/20 if only we'd invested another $14 ayear this would make parting with them alot easier. A new guy I work with is acollector and sparked my interest when he told me how much money was now involved. Last time i looked you could get a mantle for $10. I went to the attic and started pulling down my youth. I estimate I have 30,000 cards as i looked at my doubles i thought i was going to be rich. I immediatly sent 50 cards in to be graded rude awakening most came back in the 5-6 range good ,but not great. I've been just getting into my filing system and my heart as skipped a few beats. Untoched since the days I put them away 30 years ago.I will be getting the star cards and the perfectly centered ones graded and selling them unfotunately because I now have 3kids 2 of whom need braces. I think i will save the 75s year i graduated highschool plus I love the looks of them. I've been reading these message boards the last couple of weeks and impressed with the comradery i see exspressed. have any of you reg. set collectors had the cards since youth? plus what the heck is weighting? This writing is great therapy sorry i got carried away. I' new in townimage
"All my life I've been searching for something"

Comments

• Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    tbub,

I don't have anything to say except that I really like reading stories like yours. Thanks for sharing.

Carlos
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Excellent post tbub.

Weighting is a number between 1 and 10. This is a factor used in the set registry to calculate set totals. In 1965, Mantle is a 10, Carlton a 7, and Mike Shannon a 1. So, a Mantle is worth 10 Mike Shannons in equal grade.

If you have any 1965 Topps available, please email psa1965topps@yahoo.com
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    tbub - outstanding post. Thanks and welcome. As for your icon, well it's quite clear you are one helluva guy.
  • Options
    Needless to say, If you are interested in selling any of the sets, especially the 1971, please let me know.

email me at Zardoz51@aol.com
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Forgot my manners by not welcoming you. Sorry!

So

Welcome to the board!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Tbub, great story! Welcome and good luck with your submissions! image
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    good to have you!
    make yourself at home!!
    ( and get those old cards out for all of us to admire and buy!!!)
    ~jeff
    imageimage
  • Options
    Great Post ! Welcome to the Board ...Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zardoz - We'll forgive you about getting overly excited about a '71 set. image