Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Why NYINC is still being good to me (but not my checkbook)

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

While there in January I had left a request with a couple dealers to keep an eye out for a particular medal I'd only seen in a book. Lo and behold one of them is in France and spotted the medal. A very nice example of Art Deco from the 1930s by Jean Vernon. My aging cell phone camera could not get it right.

Here it is next to a US cent for scale--turns out the darn thing is pretty large (5 3/8"). Waaaayyy too big to use my normal coin/smaller medal set up to photograph. My phone is several generations out of date, so a new cellphone may do a bit better. Unfortunately I blew my phone budget on the medal....

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you collect Vernon medals, or is it that this one catches your fancy?

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a cool looking medal !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful lines, can almost feel the motion of the creatures. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look like a pretty damn good picture to me! Neat Medal!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:

@harasha said:
    Do you collect Vernon medals, or is it that this one catches your fancy?

Not Vernon specifically, but I have a love of the Art Deco period medals and Vernon made some of the most interesting. There are several I'd still love to get, but I REALLY wanted this one for the sighthound aspect as well as the overall deco quality.

Another I have, which has another horse based mythologic beast:

I have one of the Fontaine's fables too, no picture though.

I believe that would qualify as a hippocampus, same mythological beast as on the Pan-Pan two and a halfs.

http://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/35346786_112870641_450.jpg

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

Centaur, hippocamp, pegasus, hippogryph...and even horses, like all of them on a medal or coin. The Pan-Pac $2.5 is likely to elude me as too costly for a minor theme match. Love it though.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!
    That is a beautiful art deco design.

Congrats!

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork I need to venture out of US forum.....a lot of exciting post around here!

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Resurrecting this old thread because @Stork was actually present at a dealer's table when I found my own Jean Vernon medal at the ANA!

I was happy to add this piece to the "flock" given its bird theme.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options

@Stella said:
    Resurrecting this old thread because @Stork was actually present at a dealer's table when I found my own Jean Vernon medal at the ANA!

I was happy to add this piece to the "flock" given its bird theme.

That is a great one! I've got the one with the stork, but it's a great series. (no photo handy and I'm still traveling). It was good to see you!

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Agreed, @Stork ! Save travels home.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.