Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Home Run Derby

I actually like this format more than the current one. Not having a crowd sounds like a bad idea but this derby seems to go well without one. I like the interviews in between batters. Seems more intimate.
https://youtu.be/F44VtFqVnEM

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx for sharing.

Once again, I'll date myself - I saw HR derby on TV back then - think it was 1959.

I like the '59 HR Derby cards.

Mike
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

They used to repay these on ESPN Classic about ten years ago. Such a great series. I wish they would play them again.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll date myself between Stone and Arsenal, as I remember watching this '59 homerun derby series on the flagship ESPN channel after school in the late 80s.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say this thread needs a genuine Mickey Mantle autograph to go along with it. :)

Scroll to 17:50

https://youtu.be/ipU3xwSuQ3E

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    I'll date myself between Stone and Arsenal, as I remember watching this '59 homerun derby series on the flagship ESPN channel after school in the late 80s.

Same, loved it!

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

I was born in '79 so we may not be far off.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the old Home Run Derby is a better format than the present day one that we see today.

Thanks for sharing it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

I have some of the re-runs from ESPN on VHS someplace...they are pretty cool to watch. I agree, the interviews with the players are great - they seemed very humble compared to today's stars.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always enjoyed watching it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Thanx for sharing.

Once again, I'll date myself - I saw HR derby on TV back then - think it was 1959.

Mike, just make sure you wash your hands after you date yourself! :o:#:p

• Options

@mikelowell25 said:

@Stone193 said:
    Thanx for sharing.

Mike, just make sure you wash your hands after you date yourself! :o:#:p

You're a funny guy David.

National this year?

Mike
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike and yes, I will be there :)

• Options

@mikelowell25 said:
    Thanks Mike and yes, I will be there :)

Looking forward to seeing you there buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

While most would view this as a minor point, the date of issue of the Home Run Derby cards is actually 1960, and not 1959. I conclusively proved this point in my book on immediate post-war regionals, Never Cheaper By the Dozen. Whilst I do not wish to divulge very much here, all the episodes were shot shortly after the 1959 season ended, at PCL park Wrigley Field in LA. Then, in the spring of 1960, the Home Run Derby show began to air, and the cards became available. I know it's a brave person to claim all the certs are incorrect on the PSA and SGC-graded cards, but in this instance, they ARE off by a year.

That amazing show is a great time capsule. Great cards. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    edited May 31, 2018 1:14PM

Hiya Brian

That was my understanding also. To be honest, I would not be able to tell you from my memory whether it was 1960 or 70. Just remember seeing a few episodes.

Mike
  • Options
    NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 327 ✭✭

I think it's funny how the host can't clearly tell if the batted balls are going to be home runs or not.