Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just discovered a new variation

This discovery will shake the hobby world to its very core! Behold, I present to you... The 1990 Donruss Greg Swindell MVP "G Under S" variation. In all seriousness, if anyone has 90 Donruss and is as mentally disturbed as I am would you mind checking to see if you have one? Curious to see if there's 14 billion of them or just 8 billion of them. Thanks

Arthur

Comments

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't call it a variation. The black printing is just shifted.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arthur, you have WAAAYYYY too much time on your hands, lol!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batpig said:
    I wouldn't call it a variation. The black printing is just shifted.

The black printing is fine, it's the white that didn't get aligned right.

You're obviously not familiar with the 1991 Topps set. If there's a second one of these out there I'm rolling with variation and adding it to my ultra rare collection, along with my '90 Topps Rick Wrona.

Arthur

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I don’t think it’s even possible to put together a true 1991 Topps baseball master set is it? I think I remember reading either a thread here, or across the street about the truly countless variations of that set and some new ones people are even still discovering. I love all these junk era sets, but I really think I would lose my mind trying to put together master sets of them lol, kudos to you guys that are doing the hard work finding these “variations” and making people like me aware of them...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

This latest case is, I think, the very first cards ever printed that year. The shading, poor alignment and cutting, half-arse print jobs, it's really, really bad QC and that's saying something for a set that has really, really bad QC.

I honestly picture a few guys down on the floor waiting for the word. One keeps yelling up to the suits "can we start?" while getting no response. Meanwhile, his meek partner is just carelessly loading sheets from different piles into the printer because he just doesn't give AF. That's my case. That's what I'm dealing with right now. They found the guys that printed 1970s O-Pee-Chee and convinced them to come out of retirement.

Arthur

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just great!... the last thing I needed was to get sucked down a rabbit hole on my holiday! Haha!

I kept only one hand collated set of 1990 Donruss, and either tossed the rest or gave them all away. I probably had 10,000+ at one time.

Anyway, I dug that 90 set out, and I just quickly thumbed through several stacks, and did notice that random cards had much darker red printing. Every single one of those that had a shade of red that stood out from the rest is missing the period after INC, however, of the handful from the "control" group that had the lighter red, it's probably 60/40 that have the period, while others did not.

All of these cards were purchased in 1990 in the Midwest. I recall pulling a couple of Gonzales reverse negatives, and seem to recall getting some switched backs and stat line errors, etc, but sold those of long ago, I'm sure. There may still be a few tucked away in my various boxes somewhere.

The Swindell MVP that I have in this set is the lighter version with the aligned printing.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Arthur-- glad you finally noticed this one. It was all Bob could talk about in Arizona this year.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

@bishop said:
    Arthur-- glad you finally noticed this one. It was all Bob could talk about in Arizona this year.

You going to respond to my PM, Captain Poopypants?

Arthur

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

The bigger discovery is here that Swindell was an MVP? Never heard of this guy.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd check if I knew where my 90D was Arthur.

What's with the "white dot" on his nose? WDON variation?

Mike
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

That is likely more valuable than those common Aqueous versions

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2018 10:59AM

Found another, three different versions now. Someone needs to notify the president.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

They're in storage.

Now I'll have to look.

Thanks

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

Don't forget these:

1990 Donruss
    The following cards have either A- All Star Game Performance or B- Recent M.L. Performance on the back -637,650,654,660,663,673,674,676,683,692,695,697,70 1,703,705,707,708,710,712,715
    All Puzzle pieces come with or without a period in front of each puzzle number. A 3rd variation for 43,44,45 is a period only before the 43.
    Wax issued cards come with either INC or INC. in the copyright on back.
    Splatter Grand Slammer inserts---- have 13 splatter patterns (all players?) without the Black bar in back borders and 1 splatter with bar
    Splatter Base-1 variation with INC and 2 different splatter with INC. (all players?)
    Splatter All –Star---1 splatter variation of correct,INC -2 splatter variations of correct ,INC. -2 splatter variations of correct w/ INC.- 1 splatter variation of error,INC
    BC-12 Smoltz A- Glavine photo (mustache) B- Correct
    1 Bo Jackson A- Redone i in Diamond Kings B- Normal
    3 Ruben Sierra A- Small line in top back border B - No line
    10 Brian Downing A- Reverse Negative B- Correct
    15 Ozzie Guillen A- Red dot by foot on front B- No red dot
    18 Howard Johnson A- Bottom of 18 missing on back B- Normal C- Errant dashed line by upper left border on front
    20 Chris Bosio A- Errant dashed line by upper left border on front B- No errant dashed line
    24 Pete O’Brien A-Fuzzy red line in Diamond Kings flag with thin red line in Diamond Kings banner with whiteish line in banner B- Normal
    33 Juan Gonzalez A- Reverse Negative B- Correct
    67 Walt Weiss A-Break in stats border on back B- Full border
    100 Checklist A- 1-129 B- 1-125
    113 Kelly Gruber A- DOB Feb 22 B- DOB Feb 26
    154 Jesse Orosco A- Line under r on front B- Line behind r
    159 Andy Hawkins A-Check mark in upper left part of pic B-Airbrushed check mark
    168 Dale Murphy A- Half line thru D B- Normal
    170 Kirk Mccaskill A- DOB Apr 19 B- DOB Apr 9
    200 Checklist A- 130-231 B- 126-223
    206 George Bell A- G open loop B- G filled
    217 Scott Garrelts A- DOB Oct 20 B- DOB Oct 30
    233 Eric Davis A- E and r joined B- Normal
    240 Marty Barrett A-Nick in Black line above team name B- full line
    270 Gregg Jefferies A- Open G and J B- Filled G and J
    300 Checklist A- 232-333 B- 224-321
    321 Jeff Hamilton A- Solid top line B- Break 1/19 from right front
    347 Bip Roberts A- Line breaks B B- Normal
    368 Kirk Gibson A- DOB May 25 B- DOB May 28
    400 Checklist A- 334-435 B- 322-419
    405 Sergio Valdez A- Broken line thru S B- Normal
    408 Jeff Innis A- Mostly Red scratch B- Upper right scratch more White
    425 David Wells A- Leaf touches border B- Gap between Maple leaf and border
    500 Checklist A- 436-537 B- 420-517
    523 Andy Nezelek A- DOB ’85 B- DOB ‘65
    573 Lance Johnson A- Part of L missing in first name on front B-Complete L
    583 Kevin Hickey A- Black line thru thru K in Kevin B- Normal
    585 Jeff Pico A- A- Gap ¾ from right side B- Solid lower line
    600 Checklist A- 538-639 B- 518-617
    619 Shawn Hillegas A- A- Gap ¾ from right side B- Solid lower line
    637 Terry Steinbach A- Blue 1” scratch upper corner B- White 1” scratch upper corner
    639 Jack Morris A- Black line thru J in Jack B- Normal
    643 Mike Schmidt A- Large Black lines (factory set only) B- Small black lines
    650 Bo Jackson A- All Star,INC (no dot) B- All Star,INC.(dot) C-Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) D- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot)
    659 Nolan Ryan A- #665 back B- Correct back
    660 Harold Baines A- All Star….,Line thru star B- All Star……,No line thru star C- Recent M.L…..,Line thru star D- Recent M.L…….,no line thru star
    665 Nolan Ryan A- #659 back B- Correct back
    673 Ruben Sierra A- All Star,INC (no dot) B- All Star,INC.(dot) C-Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) D- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot)
    674 Pedro Guerrero A- All Star,INC (no dot) B- All Star,INC.(dot) C-Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) D- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot)
    692 Ryne Sandberg A- All Star,INC (no dot) B- All Star,INC.(dot) C-Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) D- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot)
    695 Eric Davis A- Recent M.L., E and r joined B- All Star,E and r joined C- All Star, E and r seperated
    699 George Canale A- G all White B- Line thru right loop,INC (no dot) C- Line thru right loop,INC. (dot)
    700 Checklist A- 640-BC26 w/716 B- No 716 C- 618-716
    701 Julio Franco A- All Star,Partial 19 in 1989 B- All Star,Normal C- Recent M.L.
    705 Tony Gwynn A- Recent M.L. Performance,INC. (dot) B- Recent M.L. Performance,INC (no dot) C- All Star
    708 Benito Santiago A- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot) B- Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) C- All Star
    715 Kevin Mitchell A- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot) B- Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) C- All Star
    716 A Bartlett Giamati A- Photo cropped lower B- Photo cropped 1mm higher Note- Card also found with no Black lines on back

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Found another, three different versions now. Someone needs to notify the president.

Arthur,

This last one looks to have the perfect alignment as there is no gapping between the white letters and the black lines. I think this is what they were shooting for.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

I'm on fire!

1991 Topps Jim Abbott splooge variation

Arthur