Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Too many jettons on Napoleon to know what I have, help!

I think this is an 1804 celebration medal. I have had this in a rattler for decades and never paid attention to it until I discovered CU. I tried researching some Napoleonic medal links but I couldn't find him with that heavy necklace. I'd like to know what you know. Enjoy the holiday and honor the fallen who have all.
Nam 69-72. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fyi, weight is 17.9 g and thickness is 31.9 mm.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I just realized I forgot the images. :-)

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2018 6:31PM

I can date it an13 is Sept 1804-Sept 1805. By the Republican calendar. Napoleon returned France to the Georgian calendar in 1806. I think that is correct, you may want to double check. Looks like a bronze medal. Napoleon liked giving out medals and ribbons. "Men will die for a piece of ribbon" he was quoted as saying. Now wait for the real experts to wade in. Obverse quotes Caesar I came, I saw, I conquered. Reverse says Honor and Patriotism, that is the extent of my French.

• Options

Yes I agree it is bronze. Thanks for the info. My French is toast and fries. There are so many versions of him. Peace Roy