Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vertical Centering...Inconsistency?

PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I realize that vertical centering is sometimes viewed differently for different issues. But even within the same issue it seems like sometimes there’s inconsistency. I happen to feel the image being slightly low on the card is usually the least offensive form of off-centering so maybe that’s part of it.

The two cards below look identically centered to me. The Kendall is otherwise flawless. They should probably both be 8s I guess (vertical centering looks to be 65/35), but I’ve seen a ton of 1972 9s that look like these.

ETA: Is the Johnson maybe just a tad shorter, improving centering ratio slightly?

Comments

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you got it -- the Johnson is shorter and therefore sneaking it in under the line.

Arthur

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I contemplated going with a short Johnson joke but sometimes we have to be the ones that place the balls on the tee.

Arthur

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2018 4:15PM

In my experience, PSA prefers cards centered what we would consider a bit higher vs those centered low.

I would not expect anything higher than an 8 if I were submitting those two cards, and would be delighted with a 9. Both are centered a bit low T/B, IMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    In my experience, PSA prefers cards centered what we would consider a bit higher vs those centered low.

I would not expect anything higher than an 8 if I were submitting those two cards, and would be delighted with a 9. Both are centered a bit low T/B, IMO.

That may well be. I personally find the low centering more esthetically pleasing than the high in most cases. But I agree I would expect these both to be 8s.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 9 is an old holder. Crack and resub I guarantee it comes back an 8.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    The 9 is an old holder. Crack and resub I guarantee it comes back an 8.

I agree it would come back an 8 on resub, but not because it’s an old holder, it’s only from like 2015.

• Options
    Jimmy_CommonpantsJimmy_Commonpants Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

Neither of those cards is worse than 65-35 centering. So unless there is some other very minor flaw with the Kendal, both should be a 9. Again, this simply demonstrates the complete subjectivity in grading a card an 8 or a 9. The reason I almost always buy an 8 rather than a 9 or 10.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    Neither of those cards is worse than 65-35 centering. So unless there is some other very minor flaw with the Kendal, both should be a 9. Again, this simply demonstrates the complete subjectivity in grading a card an 8 or a 9. The reason I almost always buy an 8 rather than a 9 or 10.

Well, the idea that a card with 65/35 centering is going to get a 9 these days is a fiction, despite what the published standards say. It may happen once in a blue moon, but I feel like most of the time 65/35 is the borderline between 7 and 8, not 8 and 9.