Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Submission questions-update

1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Probably been asked hundreds of times in different ways, but would appreciate any assistance as I haven’t submitted cards for grading myself (participated in group subs but never my own submission). I’ll try to keep them simple.

Can you send raw plus crossover plus reholder in the same box? Just fill out a different submission page for each one and include it? Is that the way it works?

For the dollar amount declared, how is that determined and what happens if PSA believes the card has a higher value than what I fill out on the form?

For reholders, is it possible for the card to be downgraded (I request a reholder on a 10, could the person doing the reholder look and say “how the heck did we give this a 10, let’s send it back as an 8”)?

Can you fill out the submission form then drop the cards off at a show they are attending? Might save a handful of sleepless nights praying the package made it not to mention being able to type the form to reduce the chance of errors due to my abominable handwriting.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    • yes, same box different forms. Mark outside of box with highest service level
    • amount declared is for insurance purposes only. if they think its a higher service level requirement, they'll contact you
    • possible for downgrade, though rare. they will refund the difference in current value bw grades
    • I'm not sure abt how show drop offs work, some one else sure to chime in. I always mail in and never an issue
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

not possible for downgrade

• Options

Awesome, thanks for the help.

Downgrades can happen? That would be most unpleasant. Has anyone had that happen to them?

I’m sure mailing would be fine. I’m just the nervous/anxious sort. I was planning on going to the Chicago show coming up in a few weeks, but I think the cost of travel + parking + entry fee would be more than sending via registered mail.

• Options

Thanks again. So, different answers for the downgrade question. Would anyone else be able to further advise?

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Following is the link to PSA's policy on this matter. As mentioned, if they downgrade the card, they will reimburse the difference in value. Also following is a link to this forum where folks discuss exactly this happening to them

https://www.psacard.com/about/financialguarantee

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/913954/does-psa-ever-downgrade-a-card-during-re-holdering-process

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Downgrades are possible but very rare and only done in egregious cases in which case as Greensmneakers stated, PSA will reimburse you for the value difference between grades.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Ok; thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. I would hope a downgrade would only happen in a case like a card being left in direct sunlight for six years followed by some time underwater.

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Also it is possible a card gets damaged in the reholder process. PSA will then cover the difference in value or offer to buy the card from you.

• Options

Dropped my cards of at the Chicago Sports Spectacular on June 10th. Three crossovers and five recorders. Not posting pictures as they aren’t all that exciting. All cards received back by today (7/6). Very happy about that.

Reholders

Four various PSA 10s and a 7. All came back with the same grade, so, moving on.

Crossovers. Decided to look online when they popped because I was too antsy to wait for them to be delivered.

1980 Bird/Erving/Magic BCCG 9. One of the first cards I bought when I started collecting again 15 years ago or so. Came back as a 6. It has the dreaded print arrow and one of the corners was touched. Was hoping for a 7, but can’t complain.

2005 Zenith Aaron Rodgers Auto BGS 9. Came back an 8.5. It’s an ugly card and I just need it for my Rodgers rookie registry. Highest PSA grade for this card is 9. Nothing to complain about. I bought it for less than PSA 9s were selling for including the crossover cost.

Here’s the interesting one. 1985 Topps Mini Blank Back Robin Yount SCG 30. Bought this as it was needed for the Robin Yount master Topps registry. Online the grade was N9, which (paraphrasing) is an obscure issue not being graded; no grading charge.

As mention, this card (at the time) was part of the registry. I contacted PSA customer service (prompt and professional the whole time) and asked why this wasn’t graded. Mine was heavily creased and likely to come back a 2 at best, but I believe there are only 10 or so of these cards in existence (speculation; don’t know actual print run) so just needed a PSA copy for the registry. I’m not into it for too much, so no big deal.

They mentioned the grader wasn’t familiar with this variation of this issue. As there were two others in the same registry with this card, one with a picture with the flip stating blank bank, I provided the cert # along with the spec #. The other Yount registries are 9s with three graded at that level.

After a day, the PSA rep responded and said they spoke with the graders and reported they will no longer be grading this card and mentioned it would be removed from the registry. This was not my intention at all and an apology to the other Yount collectors for having this card removed from the registry.

Overall good experience. One thing to mention; at this show, there were four seats at the PSA booth where people could fill out forms and submit their items. I got to the show early and went right there. Was in line for 45 minutes, then another 20 to complete my paperwork. And that was for eight cards on two forms. Other collectors had boxes of cards to submit. This is not a knock on PSA or the other collectors; I’m just recapping my experience.

Having never don’t this before, I was expecting a quick stop, filling out the submission form electronically on a PSA-provided computer, and dropping off my cards. Perhaps it’s done differently at bigger shows. Just a heads up to anyone looking to do the same; be prepared to possibly spend some time at the PSA booth. Plan accordingly if you have tickets for autograph signers at specific times.

Keep collecting!