Home Sports Talk

Official Danica Patrick takes the checkered flag at Indy, thread!!

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wishful thinking but hell, who knows.

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doubt that many flag kneelers will be in attendance at the brickyard!!

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aaron Rodgers might get engaged to her if this happens ;)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

The Indy 500 will be blacked out locally as it won't come close to selling out.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited May 24, 2018 12:28PM

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

The Indy 500 will be blacked out locally as it won't come close to selling out.

mark

Sellout is 400,000.

INDIANAPOLIS -- The surge from the 100th running continues.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Doug Boles reported Tuesday afternoon that ticket sales for Sunday's 102nd running of the Indianapolis 500 attendance remain ahead of last year's pace for a race that drew about 300,000 spectators.

"We’re better than last year, and last year we were significantly better than 2015," Boles said of the 99th running, which attracted an estimated 220,000. "We’re not going to sell out, but it will be another really, really good crowd.

"Really from the renewal period on, we’ve been tracking ahead. And the past few weeks, we’ve been tracking way ahead. We had a really good spring."

edited May 24, 2018 2:17PM

Exactly. Not close to a sell out.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:
    Exactly. They used to sell out. No longer even close

mark

Exactly what, Mark? First Indy sellout was in 2016. Only took 100 years.

INDIANAPOLIS– For the first time, the Indianapolis 500 was completely sold out. The record-breaking crowd packed the track last week to watch as 33 cars took part in the “Greatest Spectacle in Racing.”

As fans watched the race, a satellite captured a photo showing the massive crowd.

DigitalGlobe, who claims to be the world’s leading provider of high-resolution Earth imagery, data and analytics, used their GeoEye-1 satellite to capture this incredible photo from the speedway from space.

The company says at least 350,000 spectators can been seen in the photo. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway has not released any official attendance numbers from race day.

edited May 24, 2018 2:28PM

Burma Shave!

edited May 24, 2018 2:46PM

@Coinstartled said:
    You like to argue and are often wrong. You are a decent gefilte fish recipe away from being my grandmother.

We are effing up each other's edits! We both suck. I say we envoke the 5 minute cool off rule : )

If am wrong based on your beliefs then I don't want to be right.

Anyways based on your daily NFL diatribes that attendance was in a free for all 2017 vs 2016 the same can be said about the INDY 500. So I was making the point that the INDY 500 sold out in 2016 and now it doesn't . Therefore attendance is down. Way down. Black out down. The only reason I commented on this as you made the leap that somehow this race is more American then the NFL. Professional football is the number one sport in America. Why? Because Americans friggin love it.

mark

edited May 24, 2018 2:46PM

"""We are effing up each other's edits! We both suck"""

Truest line of week.

Have a good weekend. I am off for a couple days!

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attendance in some of the CART era races was rumored to be 500k+. Prior to the stands around most of the infield, nearly every vehicle parking there had a person or 3 in the trunk (not that I have any firsthand knowledge of this ;) ).

edited May 24, 2018 2:50PM

@Coinstartled said:
    """We are effing up each other's edits! We both suck"""

Truest line of week.

Have a good weekend. I am off for a couple days!

Same Mark! Enjoy his glorious Holiday Weekend. I'm leaving Mexico City tomorrow and I'm looking forward to a long week end at home.

FYI The grandma line was outstanding. I'm stealing it

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I know you're both mostly coin guys, but in honor of the Indy 500, the earliest card depicting it I'm aware of (1931 Ogden's Motor Races) ...

And my favorite card of the greatest Indy driver of all time ...

I'll have do dig up my Danica auto'd photo.

I love racing. Been to Indy a few times in my youth. My last one I saw Al Unser win

Thanks for posting. Cool cards

m

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've gone fishing a number of times and have yet to land a gefilte. They are a very elusive fish and tough to catch.

Next time out with my Zebco rod & reel, I'm going to try using a different bait to see if I have any better luck.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is racecar driving even a sport?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

Here is how I judge it. It is was ever on Wide World of Sports it’s a sport

m

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I've gone fishing a number of times and have yet to land a gefilte. They are a very elusive fish and tough to catch.

Next time out with my Zebco rod & reel, I'm going to try using a different bait to see if I have any better luck.

Secret is , the bait has to be kosher

@LarkinCollector said:
    And I know you're both mostly coin guys, but in honor of the Indy 500, the earliest card depicting it I'm aware of (1931 Ogden's Motor Races) ...

Off topic, but I am starting to really like those old cigarette cards. Even some of those non-sports cards are quite cool...and many of them are relatively cheap. Could be an interesting "sleeper" sort of investment as well.

Carry on. :)

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

Secret is , the bait has to be kosher

I rarely laugh out loud at a post, but that was "spit take" funny.

Nomination for CU Sports Talk comedy post of the year...if there is such a thing. ;)

edited May 26, 2018 7:56AM

To a Sunday win!

@grote15 said:

Is a designated hitter an athlete?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    To a Sunday win!

that works for me :|

There have been other women drivers, but most looked like Otto Graham.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Off topic, but I am starting to really like those old cigarette cards. Even some of those non-sports cards are quite cool...and many of them are relatively cheap. Could be an interesting "sleeper" sort of investment as well.

Carry on. :)

My favorite was also A.J. :)

edited May 26, 2018 9:54AM

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

More so than someone who sits in a car for the entire event. A DH at least has to stand and swing a bat and occasionally run the bases.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited May 26, 2018 10:14AM

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

More so than someone who sits in a car for the entire event. A DH at least has to stand and swing a bat and occasionally run the bases.

Grote, taking 800 left turns at 200 MPH plus takes a bit more exertion than your morning drive to Krispy Kreme for day old crullers.

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

Grote, taking 800 left turns at 200 MPH plus takes a bit more exertion than your morning drive to Krispy Kreme for day old crullers.

Don't have time for donut runs. That's what you old timers do so you can kvetch about today's tattooed young athletes and pine for the good old days.

edited May 26, 2018 10:39AM

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

Don't have time for donut runs. That's what you old timers do so you can kvetch about today's tattooed young athletes and pine for the good old days.

In the good old days, we had Cha Cha Muldowney (she looked nothing like Otto Graham). ;)

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't Danica already prove she sucks at her sport by never winning in the good ole boy series, or whatever
    they call it now.
    I'm all for women trying to compete with men if possible, but it looks like she doesn't have the necessary talent.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    edited May 26, 2018 3:27PM

@Darin said:
    Didn't Danica already prove she sucks at her sport by never winning in the good ole boy series, or whatever
    they call it now.
    I'm all for women trying to compete with men if possible, but it looks like she doesn't have the necessary talent.

its a gimmick , a hail mary to try to get 4 or 5 people to tune in to the most boring racing series's supposed premier event.

Indy car racing is the pro wrestling of the motorsports world. After this doesn't work they will probably get bobby the brain henon to smack some fool with a folding chair.

Apologies to Bobby if he is in fact dead :#

Geez...the hatred here.

:|

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Geez...the hatred here.

:|

AGREED

Maybe I'm against racing ,but that don't make me racist

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Maybe I'm against racing ,but that don't make me racist

I would think that would make you anti-racist.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be watching and I sure would like to do 4-5 laps in one of those cars.

This is how I'd end up.....

Did that guy live ? Yikes

@bronco2078 said:
    Did that guy live ? Yikes

These buggies are remarkably safe now. Just stay away from the Uber car.

:#

@Bullsitter said:
    I'll be watching and I sure would like to do 4-5 laps in one of those cars.

This is how I'd end up.....

Man that looks like it could get painful.

For anybody that thinks race car driving isn't a talent.........try it sometime!

Video from that pic:

https://youtu.be/ndM6sZtWKS4

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

And Danica's racing career ends as expected, with zero wins.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    And Danica's racing career ends as expected, with zero wins.

As well as a wreck.

And congratulations to the race winner.

it was now or never!

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Danica Patrick is the only woman to win a major motor racing event she won the Indy Japan 300 in 2008 at the Twin Ring Motegi race track.

@electrode said:
    Danica Patrick is the only woman to win a major motor racing event she won the Indy Japan 300 in 2008 at the Twin Ring Motegi race track.

Not so fast there, Electrode.

"""Shirley Muldowney (born June 19, 1940[1]), also known professionally as "Cha Cha" and the "First Lady of Drag Racing", is an American auto racer. She was the first woman to receive a license from the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) to drive a Top Fuel dragster. She won the NHRA Top Fuel championship in 1977, 1980, and 1982, becoming the first person to win two and three Top Fuel titles.[2][3] She won a total of 18 NHRA national events."""

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 2:03PM

True Shirley Mulroney won many drag races i should have mentioned an international motor racing event.

@electrode said:
    True Shirley Mulroney won many drag races i should have mentioned an international motor racing event.

yes one with turns

M