Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Microsoft Excel Help Needed - MAY 2018 WINDOWS UPDATE IS BAD!!!!!

SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an Excel spreadsheet file where I keep track of all my graded cards. I was wondering if any of the Excel friendly computer geeks on the forum could help me with a problem that has come up.

All of a sudden, I can't save any changes to the file. It just closes without saving anything, even though I click on save. I've tried to save then close, and close the file, and then click save when it asks me if I want to save the changes. Ive also tried saving the file under another name, and that doesn't work. Now for the head scratcher:

I'm only having this problem with this one file, not any of my other Excel files. Also, I'm only having this problem on my desktop computer. Everything works fine with the file on my laptop.

I've tried the troubleshooter, and it is absolutely no help. I even uninstalled Microsoft Office on my computer, and then reinstalled it (I have the Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 under their Home Use Program), and that was no help; it was just a waste of the last hour.

Does anyone know what might be wrong, and how I could fix it?

Thanks!!!!!

Steve

Comments

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

You could try to copy and paste the whole thing into a new workbook

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2018 1:30AM

@vintagefun said:

I tried that, and it didn't work.

I'm lost.....

Steve

edited May 26, 2018 1:31AM

@vintagefun said:

Actually, that might work after all. It appears that only one or two of the pages is corrupted. I'm able to copy and paste individual pages, and then save the file after each page.

Steve

edited May 26, 2018 1:32AM

Well, now it looks like I'm hosed.

What gets me though, is that it's only bad on my desktop, not my laptop. The files are on a thumbdrive. It's really confusing.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be related to the massive Windows update they pushed out last week. I updated my desktop with it, and then this problem happened afterwards. I just got notified yesterday about the update on my laptop, but I haven't run it on my laptop.

Steve

**Edited to add:

Problem solved. The culprit was the recent May Windows 10 update that was pushed out last week. I just recovered my computer to the version before the update (uninstalled the update), and voila.....Problem Solved!!!!! :smiley:

Moral of the story:

If you have not run this Windows Update, DO NOT DO IT! I also just looked on the internet, and there seems to be numerous problems related to it, that are affecting alot of people!**

Steve

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Sweet. Losing hours and hours of work is a nightmare. Glad you got it sorted.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.