Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Building - Tracking Purchases

I was curious to know how many of you keep track of your purchases when building your sets so that when you get to the end you will know how much it cost you to put it together. I print out the population report for the sets that I am building and I keep them by my desk here at work. When I buy a card, I hi-lite the square of that player on the pop report (for example, I would hi-lite the PSA 9 square for Chris Short when I purchased his 1970 Kellogg's card), and then in a corner of that square I write in how much I paid for the card including shipping. At any time I can tell how much I have spent on a set and it is neat to be able to go back and see how much or how little I was able to get a card for.......any one else do similar things???

Comments

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I have a spreadsheet that tracks purchase price, grade, SMR value, and registry weighting. The only thing I have yet to do is link it to a POP report.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    I haven't really thought about that. You guys are smart. I keep track of pricing on the Kellogg's set I'm building, but haven't really tied everthing together like you all have. Just when I thought I couldn't possibly get any more information off of these boards!
    Working on 1976 Kellogg's, PSA 9 or 10. Feel free to send mail to My Email with any offers on 76 Kellogg's. Go Washington Redskins, Go Oakland A's!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I keep an Excel spreadsheet that has the Card #, Name, PSA 8 Pop, PSA 9 Pop, A column for the card I have in my set (value of 8 or 9), Price Paid (Hidden column - You never know who might be watching).... That way as I buy a card, and enter the 8 or 9, and the price, everything is automatically totaled up for me .... I have totals for Avg. Wgt, cards remaining, total # of 9's, total # of 8's, total cost.... I do not track the SMR, since those numbers are seldom very realistsic....
  • Options
    No, I'd get sick if I actually figured up how much I had spent on my sets.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    JH - I do something very similiar to you except I do track smr. The only reason I do that is so I can estimate how much I may eventually have into the set. What I mean is if I buy the first 50% at 85% of smr then I can guesstimate what it might cost for the rest of the set. It's not really used for value.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    I stopped keeping track of how much I've spent, because if I don't know how much I've spent, I know that there is no way that my wife can figure out how much I've spent.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I'm with Zardoz and Bruce....I don't want to know and I especially don't want her to know.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Ditto to Mantlefan's Dittoimage

Carlos
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    I keep detailed records of everything I buy towards my sets. How else can I know how much I'm losing image?
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I track all PSA 7 (NQ) or better auction sales, confirmed dealer sales and sales prices paid by me for cards in the 1951 Bowman set. My prices are in the mix, although I know what about 80% of them are.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>I do not track the SMR, since those numbers are seldom very realistsic.... >>

I still think there is value in knowing the SMR as a reference point. If prices are generally 30% above SMR, that is valuable information as auction variance can run above or below that total.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    I like several others keep track of my set by excel spreadsheet ... which lets me know what I spent by card including postage....and gives me a total of what I spent for the entire set. As to the value of the SMR or Beckett price guides I always take them with a grain of slat on newer issues I have found the values to be over priced as to what is reality in the EBAY world. For PSa cards the values tend to be closer to the SMR ...However some cards can sky rocket past their SMR depending on the competition....

Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

I keep everything on an excel spreadsheet down to the penny. Percentages, SMR, POP....luckily Ive kept track from Day 1 so keeping it updated is not that big of a hassle..and it helps I only collect one set. Every 6 months, I will update the POP numbers to see how they trend out.

John
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    In Excel, I keep track of -
    The card#
    Player name
    Grade
    Dealer purchased from

I also tend to enter submittable ungraded cards into the sheet as well. That way I know what to focus my purchasing on. By keeping track of the dealer, it helps to let you know whether you should keep going back to him for more.

I don't track price paid for reasons already mentioned image

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    mcastaldi,

A Hip fan are we?
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Bob. . .getting there anyway. . .still exploring image
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Kep, I do the same system and it seems to work, but the spreadsheet sounds good also.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started