Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Full 1971 Bazooka baseball boxes--anyone have any experience on how these are graded?

For full never used and never folded 1971 Bazooka boxes, what types of grades can be expected? The boxes are unfolded and never used. Look gem mint, but so do lots of things that end up grading much lower. Are there certain things to look for when deciding whether its worth sending in to be graded? The 1971uncut panels in PSA 8 and 9 are priced in SMR very high and seem to sell for high prices in auctions and ebay. Is it easier to get a high grade on the panel cut from a full box as opposed to a high grade on the full box itself? Seems crazy for someone to cut up a beautiful unused box. Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

problem is psa with have to fold them to fit into a psa holder. they are to big other wise.

# 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately the Gem MInt boxes must be folded on an end or two in order to fit in the slab. You can get 8's and 9's on the boxes but I doubt that a 10 would ever be given to something that needs to be folded to fit inside the holder. To get an 8 to 9 everything else other than the folded ends would need to be in 8 to 9 quality in order to get the 8 to 9. Maybe some day a larger size holder will come out that will fit them without having to fold them and if you wait you will be rewarded with the possibility of a 10. A complete box with non-card panel area condition issues can always be cut to make a high grade panel, but you can never put it back together to make it a much rarer complete box. So check actual completed sales of high grade panels in comparison to complete boxes, even in lower grade, before taking a complete box to the chop shop.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 6:03AM

My 1971 box looked perfect......it got a 6. I thought 8 minimum. Looked at population report, there are a couple of 9's graded. Getting above a 7 is nearly impossible.

I still am not sure how PSA grades complete boxes, I have sent in some others that looked pristine and gotten 5's.

Cracked and resubmitted one that was a 6 and it came back an 8.

Unless the box had severe damage and the card area was fantastic, I would not cut it. Even then just maybe.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭

Thanks for the responses. Here are some pictures of a complete set. Sounds like its a crapshoot to send them in for grading even if unused and with no visible flaws.

• Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

Those are beautiful! Since there is no way to have them graded without the side flaps being folded, I'd leave them as they are.

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."