Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Any minor league card experts here?

I’m starting to collect some minor league cards, specifically 80’s and 90’s HOFers. I have some questions about rarity and key cards for players with multiple first-year issues. I did see that there is a minor league HOF registry set, but it seems to have some innacuracies.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without getting too in-depth here, start out with a huge 'beware of counterfeits' when purchasing the 1986 Procards. There are several HOF'ers in that set, and they are heavily faked, and fake ones have been known to find their way into graded holders from BGS/PSA/SGC too. The fakes have a different font that makes them easy to spot if you know what to look for, but people who don't know to check it first will often end up buying the wrong ones. There are multiple threads among the archives here on this board that will point out the difference if you aren't familiar with it.

Also, several threads will cover what to watch out for on the Memphis Chicks Bo Jackson cards, fake vs. real, too.

All of the legit 1988 Procards Vermont Ken Griffey cards are OC/MC. If you find one that looks centered, it is the reprint that was handed out at the Mariners ballpark in 1990. Avoid those. There are a couple that have been graded by PSA by accident. There are some fake San Bernadino Griffeys out there too, but side by side, the coloring isn't the same as the real ones.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

Is one of Thome’s two ‘90 minor league issues worth more than the other?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Hi Andy...I am of the belief that 1990 Procards #3018 is his best $$ one (I have both in 10 and have for a while, but I am pretty sure #3018 is more valuable than #187. Just my .02.

Pete

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...

Thanks. I was thinking the same.

Agreed, I vote 3018 as his better one. Even though some people have the other one listed higher for sale at this point, I'd go with the 3018 over the 187 for sure.

Thanks, guys. Same question for Bagwell. Seems like the '88 Ballpark card is more desirable than the '88 P&L issue. Is this correct?

Can the '87 Griffey be found centered side to side? I've yet to see one like that.

@shagrotn77 said:
    Thanks, guys. Same question for Bagwell. Seems like the '88 Ballpark card is more desirable than the '88 P&L issue. Is this correct?

Agreed on the Ballpark being better than the P&L