Home Q & A Forum
Options

How important is the condition of a rare coin?

Hi collectors,

I am curious how much of a ding in value would the condition of a rare coin be? For example, lets say I currently own or stumble upon a super rare coin but its not in perfect nor "great" condition. Would its value be substantially less although incredibly rare? If so, by how much % more or less?

E.g., perfect condition 100% value, good 85% value, so-so 40%? 30%?

My Collection (so far): Silver American Eagles, Gold American Eagles, Silver Proofs, and Gold Proofs.

My Precious Metals Dealer: U.S. Bullion Reserve in Los Angeles, CA

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to answer. The closer a coin gets to super rare and very desirable, the less its actual condition affects its price. Look up the thread on the 1804 dollar auction. Folks can see it has problems and is easily over-graded yet it does not matter.

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

It would really depend on the coin and grade.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options

Very interesting @Insider2 , do you think as a new collector such as myself getting a bargain on rare coins would be a better bet than investing in common coins at fair prices? I appreciate the reply, thank you.

My Collection (so far): Silver American Eagles, Gold American Eagles, Silver Proofs, and Gold Proofs.

My Precious Metals Dealer: U.S. Bullion Reserve in Los Angeles, CA

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david214 said:
    Very interesting @Insider2 , do you think as a new collector such as myself getting a bargain on rare coins would be a better bet than investing in common coins at fair prices? I appreciate the reply, thank you.

There are NO BARGINS in rare coins - especially for a beginner!

Now is you want some answers from folks who buy and sell coins, tell them what the coin is and post an image!