Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay Question

I don't currently have an ebay account. I haven't since probably 2006 or so. Used to buy random stuff, not sports collectibles. Account got compromised and shut, and I never started another over the past decade. There are a few Kirby Puckett cards available that I can't find elsewhere that I am interested in.

My questions is - I know things have changed over the past ten years, but I remember sellers not liking to deal with new users/accounts. I see threads here all of the time complaining about buyers and sellers. What would be your advice to me in starting a new account and buying cards? Are things so much different now that as long as I am paying with PayPal most wont care? I don't want sellers to think I'm a "newbie" or some scammer. Does it make any sense to contact a seller first and try to tell them you are "legit" and just have a new account? If you had to start a new ebay account today, and nobody knows who you are, what would you do?

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• Options

Now sellers can demand immediate payment on buy it now, which helped the situation.

I could care less if they’re new if they buy it now.

I have rejected best offers from people with no history, it’s not worth the risk having to wait to file unpaid item stuff.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

If you're selling it would be an issue. All you got to do as a buyer is pay for the item and you're good to go.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

I opened my first eBay account within the past couple months and have purchased a handful of cards via auction and BIN without any issues or sellers raising questions. All low dollar, so your mileage may vary especially on higher price items.

Jim

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a new buyer i'd recommend paying for your card immediately whether its an auction or BIN. Most sellers appreciate a prompt payment.
    As a new seller i'd recommend sending your buyer an email immediately after their purchase letting them know exactly when you'll be shipping their stuff. I gained quite a bit of repeat business with great communication and quick shipping.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

as a seller, you probably won't get top dollar for your stuff with a low feedback number, as a buyer you will have no problems, buy it now auctions now require immediate payments

• Options
    Jimmy_CommonpantsJimmy_Commonpants Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. Someone mentioned "best offer" listings above, which was one of my concerns. I'll probably most do BIN, which doesn't sound like a problem. Thanks again.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

While I slightly cringe when a newbie hits a buy it now of mine, especially if it's an oddball item, I've never had a problem. They pay, I send the item, and usually never hear from them again, so I assume they are happy. As a newbie, if you really want to make a seller happy, leave feedback once you examine your purchase in hand.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

One piece of information that would have been helpful is the fact that some sellers will send you a message to "confirm that you are sincere" due to your low feedback and then cancel your bid if they don't hear back. I placed a bid Friday and didn't check that email Sunday, only to check it this am to find "hey, confirm this bid" message followed by a "sorry, didn't hear back from you so we cancelled your bid" message. I was furious at first because I thought I had gotten those message because I had won, then realized the winning bid was twice my high bid. LOL! They didn't send that message to "confirm my sincerity" until over a day after I placed my initial bid, which is weird, and it came in the middle of the night-early morning(Saturday/Sunday).