Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Help with weighting sets please??

Hello, I am in the long process(for me anyways) of weighting the 77 Topps set. I feel it would be beneficial to include alot of guys many may not think to. The guys who were not total commons, but are not Hall of Famers or may be on the frindge. I tried to grab guys who won around 200+ games or had many saves as pitchers or hitters who hit around or over .300 for a decent amount of years, hit 300+ homeruns, stole alot of bases, or maybe drove in 1000+ RBI. Maybe some all-star appearances and gold gloves with some help out the stats. Maybe just guys who seemed popular to me into the early 80's. I have a list here of what I am considering weighting, some cards obviously being a must and alot which may or may not make sense.

I would really appreciate comments from others who have weighted any sets and/or who know a good deal about weighting 70's sets in particular as some of these guys were at least popular enough I would guess to weight. If any 77 collectors are out there your thoughts would help very much. Keep in mind I was not born so I cannot say from first hand experience who may have been a star at the time even if only for a few years. I also included checklists and subsets. Here is the list and alot of them will be 1.5 to 2 in my mind:

1st who/what should stay or leave. 2nd who/what maybe should added?

#1-8 leaders cards. This to me is set in stone as more than total commons.
#10 Reggie Jackson
#18 Indians team
#20 Graig Nettles
#25 Dwight Evan
#30 Greg Luzinski
#32 Checklist
#34 Angels team
#40 Bobby Murcer (questionable but see what people think)
#50 Ron Cey
#51 Brewers team
#60 Jim Rice
#70 Johnny Bench
#74 A's team
#95 Keith Hernandez
#100 Joe Morgan
#110 Steve Carlton
#113 Bluejays team
#116 Joe Neikro
#120 Rod Carew
#128 Tommy John
#130 Al Oliver
#134 Padres team
#140 Mike Schmidt
#144 Bruce Sutter RC
#150 Tom Seaver
#152 Gaylord Perry
#170 Thurman Munson
#180 Dave Lopes
#183 Cardinals team
#200 Frank Tanana
#206 Boog Powell
#208 Checklist
#210 Fred Lynn
#211 Giants team
#220 Chris Chambliss
#228 Twins team
#230 Vida Blue
#231 George Brett RB
#232 Minnie Minoso RB
#233 Jose Morales RB
#234 Nolan Ryan
#250 Bill Madlock
#255 George Scott
#258 Luis Tiant
#259 Mets team
#265 Mark Fidrych(The Bird) RC
#270 Dave Parker
#276 AL Championship
#277 NL Championship
#280 (Jim)Catfish Hunter
#287 Reds team
#295 Gary Carter
#300 Jerry Koosman
#309 Red Sox team
#319 (Rich)Goose Gossage
#327 Astros team
#345 Reggie Smith
#354 Pirates team
#355 Lou Brock
#356 Checklist
#359 Willie Randolph
#371 Royals team
#387 Yankees team
#390 Dave Winfield
#400 Steve Garvey
#411 1976 World Series
#412 1976 World Series
#413 1976 World Series
#418 White Sox team
#420 Rusty Staub
#425 Joe Torre
#428 Rangers team
#430 Fergie Jenkins
#433 TBC - Nate Colbert
#434 TBC - Carl Yastrzemski
#435 TBC - Maury Wills
#436 TBC - Bob Keegan
#437 TBC - Ralph Kiner
#442 Braves team
#450 Pete Rose
#451 Checklist
#460 Willie Stargell
#462 Don Baylor
#467 Phillies team
#472 Rookie Pitchers
#473 Rookie Outfielders - Dawson RC
#474 Rookie SS
#475 Rookie pitchers
#476 Rookie Catchers - Murphy RC
#477 Rookie infielders
#478 Rookie Pitchers
#479 Rookie outfielders
#480 Carl Yastrzemski
#487 Rookie Picthers
#488 Rookie outfielders - Jack Clark RC
#489 Rookie pitchers
#490 Rookie SS
#491 Rookie Pitchers - Dennis Martinez RC
#492 Rookie outfielders
#493 Rookie Pitchers
#494 Rookie infielders
#500 Dave Kingman
#504 Dodgers team
#518 Cubs team
#523 Rollie Fingers
#525 Dennis Eckersley
#530 Rick Reuschel
#546 O's team
#547 Willie McCovey
#562 Checklist
#570 Bobby Bonds
#571 Darrell Evans
#597 Mariners team
#600 Jim Palmer
#615 Phil Neikro
#620 Don Sutton
#621 Tigers team
#631 Big league Brothers - Brett
#632 BLB
#633 BLB
#634 BLB
#635 Robin Yount
#638 Jim Kaat
#640 Carlton Fisk
#647 Expos team
#650 Nolan Ryan
#655 Tony Perez
#656 Ron Guidry

How about guys like Chet Lemon, Jeff Burroughs, Gary Matthews, Willie Montanez, Roy White. Roy Candelaria, Garry Maddox, Willie Horton? Any others? Comments please. I wasn't alive then, so I hope many of you remember who was popular enough to be just a tick above a common. Thanks in advance...also note after all this typing I may of missed some I wanted to include. I will keep checking.

Comments

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Check other sets that are already weighted for an idea...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply "65". I will do just that at this point I guess.
  • Options
    If any 77 collectors are out there I forgot to type #285 Brooks Robinson. If any of you are out there please reply thanks, Kurt.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Kurt,

Single series sets do not have a lot of variety in weights. Take for example the 1973 set and the 1974 set. The 1973 set has some variation because of the rareness (Is that a word) of some of the higher series cards, whereas the 1974 has very little variation (Even with minor stars). Usually the Checklist's, Leader Cards and All-Star cards get a slightly higher weight (1.25-2.0) but that's about it. Only HOF'ers, should be HOF'ers, very popular players, some Rookie cards, and variations get higher weights (IMO).

Therefore...Looking at your list I would say player like Lopes, Luzinski, Tanana, Hernadez, etc will get a weight of 1, Not 1.25 or 1.5.

Just my $.02

Carlos
  • Options
    Thanks Carlos. I just figured for 77's anyways 8's and 9's of these "semistar" types seem to sell for double and triple the run of the mill half a season guys pretty consistently. Also Yankees, Dodgers, Reds commons seem to carry a little premium. Maybe I should remove those then??
  • Options
    I know the 1965 set also weights Dodgers and Yankees a little bit higher. Anyone collecting the 1968s know that the Tigers are always tough on ebay, but I am not sure if the weights reflect that.

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Another thing I ignored, however just because of their current status, guys like Hargrove, Piniella, and other managers seem to sell for a touch more money. Should they be included as 1.5's?? I am just trying for the most accurate weights I can muster.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Kurt,

I say email BJ what you have!!! I sent in suggested weights for the 1972-73 Basketball set and 5 days later they were posted...ALL DIFFERENT of course. I mean they weren't even close to what I suggested, but they were posted and ultimately that is what I wanted.

I gave the ABA cards a higher weight because they usually sell for a higher price (Raw and Graded) but they only received a 1.00 weight. I asked BJ and Joe Orlando why and Joe said "Yes the cards do sell for a premium but not enough to warrant a higher weight."

Carlos
  • Options
    ABA cards should get a little higher weight if you ask me. Anyways sure that's what I will do(email my numbers). I guess and they will rearrange it to how they see it I guess. It seems 77 set builders are not interested at this point to put in their thoughts. It's tough for me to understand as Luis Tiant regularly sells for far more than a typical common and he is not a Hall of Famer. Fred Lynn sells well also from the few I have seen and he will not get there either. A Nettles PSA 8 sold at $118 this spring and he will not see the Hall either. I don't think that is a normal figure but he should see premiums over a "common" common. Thanks for the advice Carlos and "65".
  • Options
    Send in what you'd like to see, just understand that you might be a bit disappointed. Nothing is perfect. I can rattle a dozen cards in the 1965 set weighted as a 1 that I would eagerly pay twice SMR for.

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    "65" at this point I can agree and I will take whatever they give me. I just want the set at least somewhat weighted. The Ryan gets the 10 and I will go from there.