Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1987 WWF Topps... As tough as 1971 Topps?

Wow, was this a rude awakening... My wax boxes of 1987 WWF came today, I had memories of great wrestlers, cool stickers, and great condition cards, with dreams of PSA 10s dancing through my head... Upon opening the first box however, those dreams were silenced. I forgot how tough of an issue this really is. If the first box is any indication, I will have a mega chore completing this set 9 and above. Honestly. Atleast one corner is usually touched in one way, and if one has four perfect corners, the centering is bad or it has stains from the gum. Just thought I'd let you know, and by the way, the first batch of these (hopefully 9's, who knows though, only sending 25) will be sent tommorow.

Ian

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Ian:

At $15 or so for a box of 36 packs -- I think pricewise a PSA 9 set will be much easier to put together than even one series of PSA 9's from 1971 Topps.

Let's see: one 1971 Topps rax pack or forty boxes of 1987 WWF -- I think the PSA 9 odds are in your favor.

I gotta say, though, looking over that checklist brought back some fun childhood memories! I remember one match I went to at the Spectrum where Hulk Hogan beat the c*ap out of Adrian Adonis, the fat crossing-dressing prima donna.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Haha, yeah, I never thought of the price ratios, but still, the printing stock is terrible on these 87's, and almost every card has some print dots or something wrong with it. Reminded me of most of the 71 Topps I have seen.

Too bad the Adorable one didn't make the checklist on this one... I know he is in the '85 set, and I'd bet a small amount of Outback Jack, and maybe some Killer Khan cards he is in the 1986 OPC set, which, if anyone has or knows of any wax available, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands. The 1986 OPC cards, not just Adonis image.

Ian
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Gawd, throwing out those old names you made me go and look at the checklist. I stopped watching wrestling around 1989 or so, and never collected the cards (1987 was in the middle of my non-collecting phase) and looking at that checklist takes me back. Koko B. Ware, the guy with the parrot? Honky Tonk Man? Nikolai Volkoff who sang the Russian national anthem every match? Wow. The Iron Sheik should be enjoying some popularity these days. But no Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase? No Leaping Lanny/Professor Lanny Poffo? No Hillbilly family? I think a real, all-inclusive set from back then would have been awesome.

Number 21 is listed as "Unknown". Anyone know? Was it just not released?
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Card 21 is Ricky the Dragon Steamboat. I just e-Mailed the fine set registry folks now.

Ian