Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

international shipping

Not sure if this is normal. I purchased a coin from someone in Lithuania. They sent it registered the next day. After a couple days this is the message has shown. Almost a week and it says it has already been processed across the river from me and in transit.

A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuck in customs - can be a pain.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JerseyJoeJerseyJoe Posts: 460 ✭✭

OK. I thought that ment it was done in customs and in transit towards me. Always excited to see a new coin in hand.

A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭

Once registered mail from international sources hits ISC New York or ISC Los Angeles, it ceases to be handled as registered mail. They treat it as normal first class mail.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018 6:46PM

registered mail requires a signature.
    How can they get it if it is regular F-Class mail?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

That's my point. Once international registered mail hits the U.S., the USPS no longer requires a signature. I found this out about three years ago investigating a lost package of auction lots from Canada. It turns out ISC NY lost an entire bin (think one of those big canvas carts) of registered mail from Canada, including all the auction lots this auctioneer sent to the U.S. In talking to both ISC NY and the USPS Inspector General, they indicated that registered mail from international sources is not handled as registered mail in the U.S., starting at the ISC's. Too bad, so sad.

In my case, the auctioneer had sent many thousands of dollars of coins to their U.S. winning bidders by Canada Post registered mail. All went kaput. Luckily they were insured separately and repaid their bidders. It took five months start to finish to get my money ($3,000) back. More importantly, several very scarce coins were gone.

I sincerely hope JerseyJoe gets his package, but counting on incoming international registered mail is a crap shoot. I now pay the extra for FedEx on international orders. They track from start to finish. Many Canada dealers know the problems and will only ship expensive coins to the U.S. via FedEx.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

• Options

I have to stop by the post office today I'll see what they say.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some registered international is treated as registered. Even Albania made the list! Sadly, this probably pre-dated bosox's experience. Or, maybe helped the changes along...

USPS links:
    https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2015/pb22424/html/info_002.htm

faq.usps.com/?articleId=1437076354655

My dog loves it as that means his favorite person (aka "Mail-lady-who-gives-him-cookies") has to ring the doorbell--or if she's just scanning, he hears that and runs to the door to let me know she's here.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018 8:12AM

Here is a typical tracking (this one from Japan). Well, maybe not typical as it happened very quickly. I've had plenty hung up a week or so.

The next stop you see is Jamaica, NY which should mean it has cleared customs without incident.

• Options

Bosox

i believe the Canada -US postal agreement regarding rehistered mail was either canceled or considerable re-done some years back. of course it was all for "the clients good".
    there was, and still is I believe a time when No mor R mail was possible to be sent from Canada to the US. for a while Canpost took the $ but the US did not recognize the R.
    then canapost came up with all sorts of "new inventions" of how to serve us better......from distributing flyers to selling overrated and overpriced RCM (grannybait) coins and a ton of other different mailing options. All designed to relief us of our money with no guarantee of their lofty promises.
    It is Gov.... what else does one expect... maybe the USPS is better?

• Options

I went back and looked. My problem occurred in 2012 (time flies), so perhaps things have changed since then. Having said that, the links provided say that you can obtain online tracking and delivery information for registered mail from those countries. It does not say the mail is treated as is domestic registered mail once in the U.S., i.e. kept under lock and key, full signature trail. etc. Even in 2012, my registered package showed as arrived at ISC NY in the online tracking. Then it went missing. The online tracking is how I knew to call ISC NY after a week or so.

I also had one other smaller registered mail loss from Canada around the same time, this one with an LA entry. This was an Ebay purchase and the Canadian seller gave a refund.

The problem with both losses was that international registered mail, with all the registered markings that say "I am important mail" did not have the normal registered mail chain of custody that domestic registered mail received. Maybe they do now, but I have my doubts. I'll stick with FedEx.

• Options

I still have the 2012 e-mail chain from ISC NY. Below is the key part from the ISC, which was reinforced through several subsequent conversations. I am sure the online tracking information has gotten better since then, but I am not sure the "processed through the regular mail stream" part has changed.

"Our research indicates that your mail piece was processed through the ISC on August 11th as indicated. All foreign origin registered mail once received by the USPS is processed through the regular mail stream with very little tracking information provided. Our research history on foreign origin registered mail has shown that the next piece of information we receive is when that mail piece actually arrives at the final destination post office just prior to delivery to the customer. There are no additional scans made to provide us "enroute" details along the way. Our research history further indicates that it can take on occasion, up to 5 weeks for this particular class of mail to be delivered. I hope this information provides you a better idea of the time frame for your mail piece."

• Options

I am making progress. I have 2 phone numbers which gets transfered to voice mail which goes to an attendent which prompts a message to try again later and disconnects.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

A week in customs is occasionally what happens. Don't worry... yet. They usually all show up.

In December, during the Christmas season, I had one package get stuck in customs for 3 weeks. The tracking label ripped off in a sorting machine so nobody could find the package. I was starting to worry the package was a loss. Then suddenly it showed up at my house.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do wonder when they stopped treating international registered mail as such.
    Recently received a registered package from England....just sitting in my PO Box.

My big surprise is registered mail to Russia does track and confirm delivery! Regular tracking to Russia shows departing Moscow and that's it.

• Options

mmm, what is one to say to these "unaccounted for" gaps?
    or should we call them "opportunities" for those in the know?

• Options

My wife found another number and they said it is at the ISC. I asked is it there or that is the last place it was scanned into? They said of course it is there. I asked how long till I can file ins claim. 45 days. I don't think it is stolen but it will be 45 days before anyone checks.