Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What to do with old poor (or worse) raw cards?

I have a couple dozen cards from the '50s and '60s that are in just pitiful condition - I think PSA would be embarrassed to give them a PSA 1 in a lot of cases. Even if I had enough cards to get the best bulk rate, I can't imagine it's worth slabbing them for any reason. What do you guys do in these cases? I realize most of you don't have this level of ugliness, but maybe some of you that have purchased large collections have an opinion on what to do with the shrapnel? Are the only real options the dumpster or donation? I don't mind either of those options if that's what these are, but didn't want to miss an opportunity to make them available to someone that would have a use for them. Here are a few examples, and thanks in advance.

Jim

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would enjoy them as they are, I love beat up cards like that. They have character

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never toss cards - even in lower grade - they stay in a box or album.

Mike
  • airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018 1:14AM

The 1958 Hires Root Beer Test card would sell on its own for $10-$20 I’d think...

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:
    I have a couple dozen cards from the '50s and '60s that are in just pitiful condition - I think PSA would be embarrassed to give them a PSA 1 in a lot of cases. Even if I had enough cards to get the best bulk rate, I can't imagine it's worth slabbing them for any reason. What do you guys do in these cases?** I realize most of you don't have this level of ugliness**, but maybe some of you that have purchased large collections have an opinion on what to do with the shrapnel? Are the only real options the dumpster or donation? I don't mind either of those options if that's what these are, but didn't want to miss an opportunity to make them available to someone that would have a use for them. Here are a few examples, and thanks in advance.

Hahaha, anyone that has been collecting for any length of time has at least a few cards like that laying around somewhere. I agree with Perk, they have character.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. If those were from the '90's, they'd be gone. But '50's in that condition are fun keepers IMO.

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Although the 58 Burk is not in great shape I would give you a couple of bucks for it. There are several recurring print defects involving that card. Most involve errant red spots in different locations. This one looks to have several. You can let me know in pm

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

I always put cards like these in lots and auction them on eBay.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

The #1 rule of card collecting is never throw out a Phillies baseball card. :)

• burghmanburghman Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like I asked the right crowd - thanks guys! I’ll have to give the rest of the old ones another review and make sure there aren’t any other surprises in the mix. That’ll teach me to rely so heavily on SMR prices - they don’t have the Hires Test Set so I didn’t realize the Fernandez had some value even in bad shape (h/t airjoedan - thanks!). Never been more apparent that I’m new to this, eh? :#

Jim

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the OP, whether your new or a longtime collector the first rule of thumb is to do what you like to do regardless of what the masses think. There is a very well respected collector here that is attempting to put together PSA 10 SETS of 80’s cards by pulling them out of unopened, talk about an insane adventure that is! He loves 80’s stuff and is enjoying himself and that my friend is what it’s all about. Like I said I LOVE old beat up cards, call me a weirdo but I even like the smell of the cardboard, if ya got anymore beat up cards post a pic, in my opinion they show a great deal of character.

edited May 15, 2018 8:02AM

Thanks perkdog - I tune into the thread about the PSA 10 '80s hunt frequently and just can't imagine how many boxes/cases it would take to do something like that!

Here are some more scans I put together (some dupes from the above). Some are actually in OK condition - the Goliat has some red crap on the back but is otherwise decent and a couple of the '60s Topps are OK - but most show a ton of "character" :)

Jim

@stevek said:

@stevek - I don't have a ton of old stuff, but the Phillies account for almost everything I have pre-1980... 80 or so Bowman/Topps Phillies cards. I also have 100+ odd brand Phillies cards from various sets, reprints, etc. from the '60s into the early '80s. Nothing individually worth anything, but might appeal to a Phillies collector (and the off-brand stuff is generally in excellent condition). PM me if you're interested in anything.

Jim

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:

@stevek said:

@stevek - I don't have a ton of old stuff, but the Phillies account for almost everything I have pre-1980... 80 or so Bowman/Topps Phillies cards. I also have 100+ odd brand Phillies cards from various sets, reprints, etc. from the '60s into the early '80s. Nothing individually worth anything, but might appeal to a Phillies collector (and the off-brand stuff is generally in excellent condition). PM me if you're interested in anything.

Very nice of ya to offer that. Most of the cards I've acquired for my collection the past ten years or so are PSA 5 on up, and lately it's usually PSA 7 on up. So i wouldn't be interested. Thanks anyway.

I think the best thing for ya to do is place it on Ebay as a lot in an auction. You may not get that much money for it, but at least you'd know the cards would be going to a good home to someone who will enjoy them. :)

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I think those cards are great. I'd sheet em and binder em myself...if you have any sentimental attachment to them. If selling I'd put em up as a lot.

It's too bad the 58 Herrera isn't missing the A.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.