Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ID an Asian piece from terrible description?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Came across a piece recently that I couldn't identify. Was interesting enough that I almost paid the outrageous price for it but couldn't place it mentally and decided not to be stupid (and regret it later, of course).

Bronze or copper, Late 19th / early 20th century 10 cash-type? Maybe 30mm? Fancy dragon facing forward but no letters, numbers, kanji/hanzi/hanja at all on the dragon side. Reverse with evenly spaced characters including two or three across the center (I think). Seemingly more blocky and rounded to my American eyes, so they looked more Korean than Chinese.

Any ideas?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

It sounds like you are describing a Kwantung Province coin, google that you should be able to pair the image if it is well worn

all around collector of many fine things

• Options

@coinpro76 said:
    It sounds like you are describing a Kwantung Province coin, google that you should be able to pair the image if it is well worn

Similar dragon. But this piece had no writing of any kind on the dragon side. And again, the kanji/hanzi looked more Korean than Chinese. Possible it was a token or something. But it was a really well done dragon and based on the patina looked quite old.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any pics !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen Chinese provincials that match this description. The voices in my head are shouting "Anhwei province", but I'm away from my reference books for a couple of weeks so can't confirm.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

Kirin Province ?

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@Sapyx said:
    I have seen Chinese provincials that match this description. The voices in my head are shouting "Anhwei province", but I'm away from my reference books for a couple of weeks so can't confirm.

Closer for sure. I've looked at a thousand cash pieces and none of them are very close. Unfortunately the piece sold yesterday. I may never know :(

--Severian the Lame