Home Sports Talk
Options

Grote.....since you want to compare the Cowboy's and Jet's here you are....

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cowboy's are 7 - 4 against your Jet's despite the Jet's having 7 to 4 Home Field.

Total Points:

Dallas - 300
Jet's - 170

Super Bowls: Dallas - 5.........Jet's - 1

:o:)B)

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018 5:25PM

Cowboy's and Jet's what? You're missing something here..besides the Cowboys' two playoff victories in the past 22 years, that is.. ;)

Grammatical errors notwithstanding, the attention is flattering, though, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do believe at some point in time, it needs to only be discussed which teams have won Super Bowls in this century. And I think the right time is now considering the last century was a long time ago.

So let's continue shall we?

Let's see....I carefully scrutinized the team records, added it all up using my calculator, and I submitted the findings to Price Waterhouse where they do an instant online verification fact check and tabulate the results.

So here are the official results brought to you by stevek and Price Waterhouse:

Super Bowl wins this century:

Philadelphia Eagles 1

Dallas Cowboys 0

New York Jets 0

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Cowboy's and Jet's what? You're missing something here..besides the Cowboys' two playoff victories in the past 22 years, that is.. ;)

Grote...you're a hoot. You brought it up. Live with it. The figures are correct....no errors! ;)

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

ahem......Super Bowl wins this century:
    New England Patriots 5

Philadelphia Eagles 1

Dallas Cowboys 0

New York Jets 0

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    New England Patriots 5

Philadelphia Eagles 1

Dallas Cowboys 0

New York Jets 0

Sorry Eric....we both have 5 total and the Boys have an overall winning record against the Pat's. ;)

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to argue with that.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:
    New England Patriots 5

Philadelphia Eagles 1

Dallas Cowboys 0

New York Jets 0

Sorry Eric....we both have 5 total and the Boys have an overall winning record against the Pat's. ;)

Oh I was just cherry picking stats from Steve's cherry picked stats of Super bowl Wins since 2000.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I do believe at some point in time, it needs to only be discussed which teams have won Super Bowls in this century. And I think the right time is now considering the last century was a long time ago.

Let's see....I carefully scrutinized the team records, added it all up using my calculator, and I submitted the findings to Price Waterhouse where they do an instant online verification fact check and tabulate the results.

Philadelphia Eagles 1

Dallas Cowboys 0

New York Jets 0

Steve - sorry you can't pick and chose. Boys 5 and Eagles 1 SB and we have a HUGE lead in head to head victories. ;)

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    New England Patriots 5

Philadelphia Eagles 1

Dallas Cowboys 0

New York Jets 0

I knew that was coming. ;)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Philadelphia Eagles 1

Dallas Cowboys 0

New York Jets 0

Steve - sorry you can't pick and chose. Boys 5 and Eagles 1 SB and we have a HUGE lead in head to head victories. ;)

Yea but what have the Dallas Cowboys done lately? ;)

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite team (Denver) also has a 5 in its Super Bowl record (5 losses :s ), but it also has a 3 in the same record (3 wins B) ).

Thus even though I do not like the number of losses in the SB for Denver, I do like the number of wins and the total number of SB appearances.

8 trips to the SB in 52 years (15.38%) is pretty good. I suspect that many other franchises in the NFL would be very happy with 8 trips to the SB.

If my memory is correct only New England and maybe Pittsburg have been to more SB's.

Dallas I think has been to 8.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Philadelphia Eagles 1

Dallas Cowboys 0

New York Jets 0

Yea but what have the Dallas Cowboys done lately? ;)

Haven't done much lately.........with the exception of beating the Eagles last season. But records are records.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 5:56PM

@SanctionII said:
    My favorite team (Denver) also has a 5 in its Super Bowl record (5 losses :s ), but it also has a 3 in the same record (3 wins B) ).

Thus even though I do not like the number of losses in the SB for Denver, I do like the number of wins and the total number of SB appearances.

8 trips to the SB in 52 years (15.38%) is pretty good. I suspect that many other franchises in the NFL would be very happy with 8 trips to the SB.

If my memory is correct only New England and maybe Pittsburg have been to more SB's.

NE has been to 10.
    Pitt,Dallas & Denver all have been to 8

had this link open
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_champions

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 5:58PM

Well, if we're goiing back to ancikent history like Dimeman wants, don't the Eagles have additional NFL Championships?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

Grote...you're a hoot. You brought it up. Live with it. The figures are correct....no errors! ;)

Yes, they are...2 wildcard wins in the past 22 seasons.

• Options

@SanctionII said:

I'm not sure, but I think the Steelers have only been to 7 SB's. 6 wins and 1 loss......to Dallas. ;) Not sure how many NE has been to without looking it up. Eric will let us know.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Well, if we're goiing back to ancikent history like Dimeman wants, don't the Eagles have additional NFL Championships?

That's exactly right...3 NFL championships in years 1948, 1949, and 1960.

• Options

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

That's exactly right...3 NFL championships in years 1948, 1949, and 1960.

We're talking Super Bowl Era here.....sorry. ;)

• Options

@grote15 said:

Talk about bad spelling....don't get on me any more. ;)

• Options

How the Jets won their Super Bowl that day against a vastly superior Colts team, i'll never know.

Must have been that quarterback I think his name was Jerry Namath, had a good game that day. ;)

• Options

@stevek said:
    How the Jets won their Super Bowl that day against a vastly superior Colts team, i'll never know.

Must have been that quarterback I think his name was Jerry Namath, had a good game that day. ;)

Be careful......some here (not me) think Joe (not Jerry) is overrated. ;)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@SanctionII said:

I'm not sure, but I think the Steelers have only been to 7 SB's. 6 wins and 1 loss......to Dallas. ;) Not sure how many NE has been to without looking it up. Eric will let us know.

@DIMEMAN said:

@SanctionII said:

10 as Eric posted earlier

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@SanctionII said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@SanctionII said:

10 as Eric posted earlier

mark

Yep...they are 5 - 5. And the Stealers were in 8....I forgot about their loss to Green Bay.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

I was trying to put my post in terms you could understand, LOL..

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

I was trying to put my post in terms you could understand, LOL..

Don't misspell on my account. LOL..

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Yea, I've heard that nonsense about Namath as well, probably because they look at his touchdowns-interceptions ratio.

The fact is that Namath played his entire career for mediocre to bad Jets teams. Namath had a rocket for an arm, and often tried to make things happen, and so forced the ball into tight spots and had a number of picks as a result.

On a better team, who knows how many Super Bowls Namath would have won? We'll never know, but the stone cold fact is that Namath was a great quarterback, and it would be silly to even debate that.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Yea, I've heard that nonsense about Namath as well, probably because they look at his touchdowns-interceptions ratio.

The fact is that Namath played his entire career for mediocre to bad Jets teams. Namath had a rocket for an arm, and often tried to make things happen, and so forced the ball into tight spots and had a number of picks as a result.

On a better team, who knows how many Super Bowls Namath would have won? We'll never know, but the stone cold fact is that Namath was a great quarterback, and it would be silly to even debate that.

Finally, I agree with SteveK, lol..

One other thing to mention about Namath~when he played, receivers did not have the protections they have today going downfield and were routinely mugged as they ran their routes. It seems pedestrian today, but when Namath broke the 4,000 yards passing mark in a single season, it was a huge feat. Namath took the downfield passing game to another level.
    Just look at the QB stats from that era. Both Bradshaw and Stabler also threw more INTs than TDs in their careers, too. Had Namath not had such terrible knees coming out of Alabama, he'd have put up better numbers than he did, too.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

the jets are bound to win more superbowls in the future. However, unless you take Jerry Jones and every single one of his relatives , load them onto a 747 and fly it straight into the side of a mountain the cowboys won't win another

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    the jets are bound to win more superbowls in the future. However, unless you take Jerry Jones and every single one of his relatives , load them onto a 747 and fly it straight into the side of a mountain the cowboys won't win another

Hopefully we can start winning again....even with Jerry as the owner.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Finally, I agree with SteveK, lol..

One other thing to mention about Namath~when he played, receivers did not have the protections they have today going downfield and were routinely mugged as they ran their routes. It seems pedestrian today, but when Namath broke the 4,000 yards passing mark in a single season, it was a huge feat. Namath took the downfield passing game to another level.
    Just look at the QB stats from that era. Both Bradshaw and Stabler also threw more INTs than TDs in their careers, too. Had Namath not had such terrible knees coming out of Alabama, he'd have put up better numbers than he did, too.

Frankly, those who say that Namath wasn't great or that he's overrated, it's likely their viewpoint is skewed because they don't like Namath personally, probably because of his flamboyance.

Namath gave his all in every game especially on those terrible knees you mentioned. How can any good football fan not respect and admire that? Namath is a Hall of Famer and well deserved. Case closed.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Hopefully we can start winning again....even with Jerry as the owner.

Jerry Jones is my hero, and personal favorite of any sports team owner.

I love the guy. If I ever switched, I'd want Jerry to be first.

Long live Jerry Jones.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

To be fair:
    Staubach had 153 TD and 109 INT
    Tarkenton had 344 TD and 266 INT
    Jurgenson had 255 TD and 189 INT

• Options
    edited May 7, 2018 5:28PM

@Skin2 said:
    To be fair:

All true, also, but my point was not so much about TD to INT ratio as it is that you can't judge the stats of QBs from the 1960s and 1970s against those that play the game today. Bradshaw won 4 Super Bowls with a career TD to INT ratio of 1:1. The passing game has undergone the greatest transformation of any offensive stat during that time. All the key components, completion percentage, yards passing per game, passing attempts per game, number of TD passes and TD to INT ratios, are much different today than they were back then. The stats HOF QBs routinely put up back then would be considered well below average today. Even pedestrian QBs put up 4,000 yards passing with ease today.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

better stat = aaron rodgers owns the boyz

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Skin2 said:
    To be fair:

All true, also, but my point was not so much about TD to INT ratio as it is that you can't judge the stats of QBs from the 1960s and 1970s against those that play the game today. Bradshaw won 4 Super Bowls with a career TD to INT ratio of 1:1. The passing game has undergone the greatest transformation of any offensive stat during that time. All the key components, completion percentage, yards passing per game, passing attempts per game, number of TD passes and TD to INT ratios, are much different today than they were back then. The stats HOF QBs routinely put up back then would be considered well below average today. Even pedestrian QBs put up 4,000 yards passing with ease today.

I agree.

• Options

@HighGradeLegends said:

Sorta like Aikman owned the Packers in the 90's. ;) And the Pack had Favre.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

Sorta like Aikman owned the Packers in the 90's. ;) And the Pack had Favre.

Very true!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Skin2 said:
    To be fair:

Bradshaw didn't "win" 4 super bowls, mostly it was the defense and some very good skill players on offense.

However your point should be well taken, when I was a young man a 50% completion rating was considered ok because the QB's were throwing the ball downfield farther, now there are so many 5 yard completions, you better be at 65%.

It's certainly a passing game now.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Not trying to debate Bradshaw's role in the Steeler Super Bowl wins, Joe.

My point is about the evolution of QB stats and the downfield passing game over the past 50 years. And that even HOF quarterbacks put up stats that would be considered pedestrian today.