Home Sports Talk
Options

Hang it up, Tiger.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Literally any other pro golfer of the past two decades could trudge their way around a coarse at above par and little notice would be taken.

Tiger was great. Best of his generation and top 3 of all time. He doesn't fit well as an ordinary/decent player.

Reminds me a bit of Michael Jordan's second career as an NBA player.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

What else is Woods gonna do in life? He's got nothing else but golf...I think in his mind.

It's like Paul McCartney still doing concerts.

Nothing else in life gives them the same adrenaline rush thrill that they get from their profession.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Literally any other pro golfer of the past two decades could trudge their way around a coarse at above par and little notice would be taken.

Tiger was great. Best of his generation and top 3 of all time. He doesn't fit well as an ordinary/decent player.

Reminds me a bit of Michael Jordan's second career as an NBA player.

Jordan wasn't ordinary until he went to the wizards after the Bulls mass exodus. ;) Then he was still better than ordinary. ;)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2018 3:34AM

Jordan wasn't ordinary until he went to the wizards after the Bulls mass exodus

an admission, finally.........................

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I am still rooting for him and rooting more the more the naysayers there are. He does have two top 5 finishes this year and is about 50th on the money list. He's only started 7 events which is about half of what most golfers have done to date. No he won't be the greatest golfer that ever lived again but he can still win some tournaments. I think he has two more major wins in him in his career. Going to be fun!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    What else is Woods gonna do in life? He's got nothing else but golf...I think in his mind.

Nothing else in life gives them the same adrenaline rush thrill that they get from their profession.

I see what your trying to say, but comparing Sir Paul to this guy is kind of offensive.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

I see what your trying to say, but comparing Sir Paul to this guy is kind of offensive.

The comparison wasn't in their personalities or lifestyles.

They're both abundantly rich. Woods doesn't need to be on the PGA tour and McCartney doesn't need to do another concert tour. From an outsider standpoint, it seems like they should both hang it up. But for whatever reason, they simply enjoy doing it, because it certainly isn't about the money.

My guess is that money can't buy the adrenaline rush that they get from a large crowd clapping and cheering for them.

• Options

@stevek said:

Still entertaining to watch him play. Can't imaging much on

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

The comparison wasn't in their personalities or lifestyles.

They're both abundantly rich. Woods doesn't need to be on the PGA tour and McCartney doesn't need to do another concert tour. From an outsider standpoint, it seems like they should both hang it up. But for whatever reason, they simply enjoy doing it, because it certainly isn't about the money.

My guess is that money can't buy the adrenaline rush that they get from a large crowd clapping and cheering for them.

Can't imagine that much adrenaline was rushing through Tiger this last weekend.

Certainly he can do what he wants, but every tournament that has him limping to the finish, tarnishes his legacy.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Tiger still has a few endorsement (appearance?) contracts which require him to be in the public eye or to play tournament golf, provided he is healthy to play in tournaments. Anyone know if in fact he still any endorsements? Many performers do not know when to hang it up. Cher, Frank Sinatra, etc.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Miss vonn dumped him....all you need to know

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Maybe Tiger still has a few endorsement (appearance?) contracts which require him to be in the public eye or to play tournament golf, provided he is healthy to play in tournaments. Anyone know if in fact he still any endorsements? Many performers do not know when to hang it up. Cher, Frank Sinatra, etc.

I think Sinatra is finally retired.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I think Sinatra is finally retired.

Yes. He did it "His Way". In Franks case I should of written "did not know".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2018 4:27PM

Even par, six back, on Thursday.

Kuchar, Simpson and 4 others tied for the lead.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2018 3:37PM

Let me start by writing that hell has a better chance of freezing over before I can respect him but I can and will respect his talent as a golfer. He will know the time to call it quits. He should continue to play mainly because others have had substantially bigger obsticals to overcome. He is a great golfer... He still needs to prove he is worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Ben Hogan an Sam Sneed. That alone should be the motivation.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I don't think he golfs for the money and probably not even for the fame. he probably golfs for himself as much as anything else. professional athletes aren't wired the same as the rest of us where pride/ego/self-esteem and things like that are concerned. besides, he is a "Golfer" so what should he be doing?? he's still in the middle of his life at age 42.

Sports are funny. I remember a movie that starred Michael J. Fox as a Bowling Pro and he bemoans that he's one of the Best Bowlers in the World and can't even support himself: so it is with Tiger. he is probably better at what he does than all but 100 people in the entire World, yet we rag on him. I have played Golf as I assume most of the membership has. if I was as good as Tiger Woods, better than all but 100 other people, I hardly think I could quit trying to prove that I was better than that.

he has been number one, probably has a burning desire to be number one again and will strive towards that until his body convinces him otherwise. let's face it, whatever our chosen profession in life may be, it isn't the same as an athlete's life. there is little to drive us to be the Number One Widget Maker in the World. we just retire when we reach 62.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2018 9:01AM

Holy Moses!

Woods 8 under for the day through 12!!

I better shut up for a while.

:#

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Holy Moses!

what's amazing is that it took late bogeys on Friday by Justin Thomas & Jordan Spieth to keep Eldrick's head above the cut line. then he and JS turn around and go a combined 14-under and now both reside in the top 10 heading into the final round. good chance those two will be paired together, and if that happens, i bet it'll go 10-15 deep trying to catch a glimpse...

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Hope I didn't jinx him. He turned extraordinary round into very good round.

Impressive nonetheless, but 8 golfers ahead of him are just teeing off.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2018 11:47AM

@Coinstartled said:
    Holy Moses!

No, the more you knock him the better he may perform. :)

• Options

yeah, he apparently has a little left in the tank. Golf is no different than any other sport, it seems Tiger was " feelin' it" on the course and rode it as well as he could.

• Options

If he can find a twelve hole course, he will win again.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Why are you such a hater? The guy flat out makes golf more interesting. Did you see the gallery following Web Simpson? It was about 15 people. Lol. Everybody was following Tiger.

• Options
    edited May 13, 2018 9:14PM

None of us will ever get a cut of the purse.

We cheer for some and cheer against others.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

He had one. Isn't that why his ex clubbed him with the five iron?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:

@Coinstartled said:

He had one. Isn't that why his ex clubbed him with the five iron?

Very well executed there Brick. :oB)

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

He has redeemed himself IMO Give him a chance! :) He brings in the gallery.....