Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

UK to US grade translator

3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of a good UK to US grade translators? Would like to buy from an English merchant, but not sue what grades like aFine and such translate to on the 70 point scale.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of variance. Predecimal site will have some on those boards.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I will likely get shot at from every direction on this, there is just not much room in the UK scale in the mid grade range... Be very careful. Make sure you have the opportunity to either see the coin in hand or view trustworthy images before buying. The safest approach is looking at each coin on a case by case basis so nothing is lost in the translation

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

For traditional uk scale:

UK fair - US VG
    UK F - US VF
    UK VF - US EF to AU
    UK EF - US AU to unc
    UK AU - US unc
    UK unc - US choice or better unx

An about is on the lower end, so aVF woukd likely be US aEF. There is a tendency in UK collecting to concentrate on UK VF grades and above except for really scarce pieces.

Note that some UK dealers will use US grading for US coins.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

The British still have very strict grade standards; there's been very little gradeflation compared to America. They still grade like the grading guide from the 1960s says I should grade coins: with about two-thirds of coins from mint rolls not making the Unc grade. Man, that's tough.

As a general rule, when converting American grades to British, I take it two whole grades down.
    American Choice Gem super-Unc = maybe British Unc. They're really strict.
    American Unc = British EF.
    American aUnc = British VF
    American EF = British Fine.
    American VF or lower = British "Please throw it away; it's rubbish".

Here in Australia, we're about halfway between the two extremes: Australian grades are about a grade above American grades, and a grade below British grades.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

However, the Brits let some cleaning issues through that would be severely dinged by US TPG's as well as other issues such as edge filing, etc.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree that the grades are a bit stricter. But as with all things, it varies - I have got a few clunkers.
    I like John Stafford Langan's conclusions: http://www.irishcoinage.com/GRADE.HTM
    I have also seen "mediocre" for AG.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking mostly at Chard's, so I assume that they have a good handle on proper grading?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

People either love Chard, or they hate them. I have had nothing but excellent service and good coins from them. Most of my purchases with a modern and/or bullion element to them, maybe no old stuff ever.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found the chart on the bottom of the page quite helpful.

http://www.amrcoins.com/information-and-articles/coin-grading-unravelled/

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.