Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

$1000 bills Value please

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 4, 2018 8:10AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

The cousin of one of the teachers at the school I teach at is a bank teller. She recently had (2) $1000 bills in her drawer. She was smart enough to buy the notes from the bank but she doesn't really know the value of the notes. I don't have images yet, but she said there are no holes or folds. Assuming the notes are in 'average' condition, what's a ball park figure value for each note. I believe she said the notes have a date from the 1930s. TIA

edited: should the notes get graded? If so, by whom.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Value and if they're worth grading depends on condition, series of issue, and ferderal reserve bank district. A minimum value starting point is $1,600. Once you post pictures, fellows board members can chime in on a more accurate valuation.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Circulated currency normally won't have any holes but will have some folds. In problem free fine, very fine or extremely fine notes probably sell around $1500-$2000.

Heritage archives will give you an even more accurate figure. Since many $1000s are sold there is well-documented price realized information there. I'm presuming, as a coin guy, that you are familiar with this source and it's a good one for a valuation on an item like this.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2018 6:51AM

Congratulations on a smart save!

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

I looked at several at the CSNS and in low grade, raw and graded, $1900-$2300. No deals to be given. From what condition you describe I would say you have a $1700-$2000 retail bill. If no folds ,stains or tears they would be worth sending in to PCGS or PMG. I know a guy that got a call from a teller that stated she had five $1000 bills. He went and bought them and sold each one for $2000. How nice is that? Lot of Chicago $1000’s out there.

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

$1000 bills in a bank drawer!? How unlikely is that!

• mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Is kind of odd these days what and where some of this old currency comes from and goes to the bank? I'm still trying to connect with a teller that bought (at face value) near $600 worth of 20's from 28 and 34. He said an old woman brought them in and cashed them for a money order. I guess it still can and does happen, right?

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

It’s surprising what people turn in at banks. Some people don’t want to hassle with the intrinsic or numismatic value. They just want face value.

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Makes me want to get a part time gig at a bank... almost.